In-Game Attack Costs EVE Player $1200

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
In-Game Attack Costs EVE Player $1200

Spoiler alert: If you have a ship worth 30 billion ISK in EVE Online, you're going to be a mighty tempting target for other players.

EVE Online is known for many things: its single universe reality, the way it encourages players to work together via corporations in order to wage war against other such groups, the ability to use the game's currency to pay for your monthly membership, not to mention <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103417-45-000-Latest-Haul-in-Eve-Online-Scheme>some particularly epic thefts of in-game cash. The latest story about the game to hit the Web tells of a player who built a particularly expensive ship that was subsequently destroyed for the loot it would leave behind.

A player who went by the name "Solaris" found himself the target of a coalition of in-game corporations when he was running missions in "high security space in his Paladin". The reason for the coordinated attack? His ship was worth a helluvalot of in-game currency.

According to Massively:

What makes this particular suicide attack special is the sheer magnitude of the loss. Solarius had fit the ship with an impressive array of rare and expensive officer modules, putting the total value of his ship at over 30 billion ISK. Since a destroyed ship drops around half of its modules as loot, flying a ship with such an expensive setup is almost guaranteed to draw some unwanted attention. Pilots from the corporations Honorless Internet Jerks, Ex Obscuritas, Suddenly Ninjas, Alarm Clock Corp and Defner.org jointly participated in the attack and split the proceeds from the loot.

For those of you who need the fiscal loss translated, here's how it equates: 30 billion ISK could purchase "<a href=https://secure.eveonline.com/marketing/plex/plex.aspx>over 80 PLEX" (which, in turn, equates to roughly seven years of game subscriptions). Since that much PLEX would cost more than $1,200 US dollars, EVE players might want to take this as a reminder that they should always be careful when playing the game.

Source: Massively

chemicalfire

Nov 10, 2009
Wow, I bet that guy got so butt-hurt that he raged his way through a whole box of hotpockets for consolement.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Epic.
I think that game is the definitive experience for MMOs. The sheer amount of freedom and lack of admin restrictions make that thing a joy to read about. However, I'm not devious enough to pull off these awesome heists and raids, so I stay away from it. I also don't got enough time for MMOs. :(

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Did his ship put up a fight at all? Did he not spend some of that cash on weapons and the like?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Remember that EVE is also home to some of the most cut-throat MMOers since Lineage. Running around in something worth that much is just as dangerous to you in reality as it is in-game.

-------

Pipotchi said:
Did his ship put up a fight at all? Did he not spend some of that cash on weapons and the like?
"...suicide attack..."

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I love the crazy stories from inside the nerdtastic universe of EVE.

But really if you're going to ride around with your bling decorated all over your flying E-Penor. It's really kind of asking for it. I don't blame the perpetrators, if I was playing this I'd probably be one of them. I just don't have enough time in the day to plan out such elaboration, I might be a mastermind of the highest degree but the sad fact is I'm still sitting in my parents attic at a computer doing it.

Remember kiddies unless the game has a secure way of protecting your shinies, don't ride around with them all on proclaiming to be king of the world. You will get curb-stomped and gang-beaten.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
This, children, is why the first things you add to ANY custom ship in that game is a quick-warming Warp Drive and triple-value insurance. You'd think after the last time the Goons blew up a flagship, the community at large would have learned that.

What? Did you except sympathy? Don't kid yourself, I love this kind of story.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
High Sec, huh? For those who don't know, combat in high sec space in EVE draws the cops, aka Concord, on your ass with their high-powered weaponry. You can actually have more powerful weaponry than what they bring in, but they will always have reinforcements to come in to continue whittling away at you until your ship is destroyed. Hence why it was called a suicide attack. Kinda silly but when you can come in with a second ship and scoop up the loot as well as have the prestige for that kill, it's worth doing. I'm sure Solarius is going to think twice before buying another obvious target again.
I'm waiting for this to show up in an ad for Geico Insurance.
"You can save hundreds of ISK by switching to Geico."
Woodsey said:
I always look forward to hearing these stories from EVE xD
I enjoy them, too. Maybe it is about time Escapist set up a separate weekly thing, 'That Wacky Eve'.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
I love hearing the stories that come out from EVE. When I get a better computer I am definately going to get this game.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Wow! That actually sounds pretty cool. I might have to check this game out. The news stories from this game are always entertaining.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Pipotchi said:
Not much you can put up against suicide attack really. According to the official news on Eve's site they barely managed to get him down.

"He suddenly appeared near us. We knew CONCORD would come instantly and so it happened. We popped nearly instantanously. Somehow I survived long enough to launch two final salvos," he said. "I think one battleship less and we maybe wouldn't have killed him!"
CONCORD are the NPC guards in high-sec, for those who don't know, they warp within second to the location of fight and pretty much obliterate the attackers. That's why a mass of ships was needed for such attack. The guy who lost such precious toy doesn't seem to mind however

Solarius [QVC], issued a brief statement registering his initial surprise:"I'd had that ship fitted like that for some time, no-one ever bothered me until I started runnin' the odd mission in Cat, Vale and Auvergne... ganks like that are normally the preserve of 0.0 choke points!"
When asked about his own plans for the future he remained upbeat: "A drop in the ocean! That fit had netted me plenty of ISK durin' the time I had it, I could refit a Paladin to exactly the same spec if I wanted.. "

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
What I really appreciate is the way this game seems to constantly mimic corporate america.

I would joint it if I could stomach monthly fees.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
"Don't fly what you can't afford to loose" - Simple EVE motto.

Reading another interview the guy said that he wasn't too bothered about the loss and could buy the same fit again.

Just remember that this is all still 'pretend' money and even though you CAN reverse the PLEX cost (about £15 for 300mil isk atm) its still only one way - its pretty much the same as a WoW player loosing alot of Epic lewt.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Pipotchi said:
suicide attack by 5 different corps. that's a lot of fighting against, also big ships tend to be better suited to fight big ships, if the raid was made with hundreds of small ships, its hard to hit any of them as they are too nippy for the targeting to keep up.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
I enjoy them, too. Maybe it is about time Escapist set up a separate weekly thing, 'That Wacky Eve'.
I endorse this idea! Seriously, EVE provides laughs in ways no other game can, and raids like these that can be equated to real-world currency make it all the better.