In-Game Attack Costs EVE Player $1200

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
so an ship worth 30 billion Icelandic couldn't stand up for a attack? seems pretty weak
though i bet he is flipping out

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
lol
i dont play this cause i get agatated easily if nothin happens
however i have a m8 who constantly plays it
if he's playing it, i wont see him for a week

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
vansau said:
Honorless Internet Jerks, Suddenly Ninjas, Alarm Clock Corp
These are awesome names, and all appropriate. I do feel kind of bad for that guy, since that is a hell of a lot of money.

But really, don't have SUCH a shiny prize....it's so inviting.

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
Ah, Remindes me of a group of wolves banding togther to take down a water buffalo.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
So the aim of this game is to be good, but don't be too good or you'll be mugged and left with nothing?

Tethalaki

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Nov 5, 2009
Danzaivar said:
Isn't their insurance in that game? How much of that will he get back? I'm assuming he would have the best insurance available for such a high value ship...
Insurance is only for ships, not modules. Think of it as being able to insure your house, but nothing inside.

An unfitted Paladin goes for about 600 million on the market, apparently with the best insurance your payout is only 91 million.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
It's things like this that make me interested in EVE online. Everything is much more meaningful than other MMOs. Failing to do something actually means something. It's not just "You Died. Go back and get your shit back.". Instead it's "You died and whoever the hell killed you took whatever left of your shit.". Much harsher while also more exciting at the same time. Nonetheless it's mostly an outsider's interest and I'd probably never invest enough time into it.

Jester00 said:
linwolf said:
Eve is so awesome to read about, but so boring to play.
you're totally right.
That's what I hear. Why do they have to make it sound so cool?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
linwolf said:
Eve is so awesome to read about, but so boring to play.
Yeah, I agree. I am playing Uncharted Waters Online instead because:

A) Uncharted Waters is awesome.

B) You actually have a character that walks around and such.

C) No monthly subscription.

D) You can be a pirate and steal other peoples stuff BUT its also fairly difficult to get used to so there are a couple of areas around the beginners ports that arent PVP areas.

E) As it only went into Open beta last week you dont have SUPER POWERFUL groups waiting for anyone to go into open water to kill them.

F) You choose an allegiance with a country THEN you can join a company too... even if you be a pirate you can still remain loyal to your nation, or just destroy everyone if you wish.

Added Bonus, in going to taverns you can hear NPCs talking about others players recent achievements and it gives warnings of recent pirate activity. Oh and you can chat up bar wenches whilst playing poker, not 100% sure but I dont think EVE has bar wenches and poker. :D

EDIT: I played EVE on recommendation of another Escapist, my first dislike was that it was very much just a point and click game then I just got bored after... maybe 3 days.

EDIT 2: Also, you are playing AND learning. XD

If it werent for the Uncharted Waters games I wouldnt know any geography at all, I wouldnt be able to tell you where Dover was and I LIVE in England and I have been to Dover. :D

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Eve is the one MMO that I'm ever tempted to get into. It's such a shame that I refuse to let myself get sucked in.

chiatt

Oct 10, 2009
Danzaivar said:
Isn't their insurance in that game? How much of that will he get back? I'm assuming he would have the best insurance available for such a high value ship...
Insurance does not take modules into account, and is instead a percentage of the hull's value. A Paladin isn't cheap, but it's still less 1/30th of what the total value was. Insurance in this case would have done almost nothing for him.

Tharwen said:
Booze Zombie said:
He probably just earned the credits in game and lost no real money.
I hope.
You don't actually lose real money like that. It's impossible to buy in-game currency (legally) with real money, so all he would have lost is enough ISK for several years of game time (which he probably had elsewhere anyway).
That's actually not true. At all. You can buy game-time codes for real money (legally), and sell those codes for ISK in-game or through the CCP forums (both legally). This is essentially a regulated ISK for Cash market set up by CCP.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
What is the point of the game if you cant go out and use your epic loot? You put all that effort and time building a ship, and then in one swoop all your hard work is gone. Know I get that stuff like this happens in real life, but EVE is a game. Gotta suck all the fun out.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Jarrid said:
I know, but he chose to play EVE Online, it's his own damn fault he chose to play a game that included a group called "Honorless Internet Jerks." As far as I'm aware, trolls and bullies don't have their own businesses in the real world... well, maybe a few.
By choosing to play EVE, he is not stupid, he is stupid in doing missions in a ship worth that much.

Oh, trolls do have businesses, they're called the MPAA and the RIAA

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
EVE Online joint suicide attacks in safe space: what more proof do you need that we just can't have nice things?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Formula for eve online: level up + buy stuff x dont buy too much stuff to the power of 10
if buy stuff= dont buy too much stuff = bizarro player run corp. people will come after you.

Am I right?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
EVE is a prime example of the failures of community-policed anarchism in a society. The very essence of the need for government plays out every time Goon Swarm shows up.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
bladester1 said:
What is the point of the game if you cant go out and use your epic loot? You put all that effort and time building a ship, and then in one swoop all your hard work is gone. Know I get that stuff like this happens in real life, but EVE is a game. Gotta suck all the fun out.
Oh but you can use it. You just don't put all your assets in single ship. Instead you have several decently equipped ones. It also helps if you don't fly alone and have a good corp name to back you up. Plenty of ways to increase your safety level. Just don't treat Eve as your typical post-EQ MMO.

When you stuff single ship with tons of rare, expensive stuff it's obvious sooner or later someone will be interested in it. And it doesn't suck the fun of it. It's the whole idea of fun in Eve. That's why it's a niche MMO and not WoW.