Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

The rumors are true: Valve is releasing an extensively upgraded version of Defense of the Ancients in 2011.

Valve has finally announced that it's working on a game called DotA 2 after rumors previously indicated that the studio was throwing its hat into the world of Defense of the Ancients, a massively popular action-RTS gameplay style that first popped up in a user-created map for DotA trademark filing [http://www.amazon.com/Warcraft-III-Battle-Chest-Pc/dp/B00009ECGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286995036&sr=1-1] two months ago, so the announcement is anything but a surprise.

DotA has been constantly updated and re-balanced by various creators over the years, including the release of DotA AllStars and DotA-inspired titles like League of Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93165-League-of-Legends-Will-Be-Free-to-Play]. Valve doesn't plan on changing what DotA players are used to, with DotA 2 set to bring over DotA AllStars's 100+ hero roster, the same map, items, skills, and upgrade paths. In DotA 2, these aspects will only be freed from the constraints put on them by the WarCraft III engine thanks to the use of Valve's Source engine instead.

This is Valve though, so DotA 2 won't be a rehash in a prettier shell. The graphics will be improved, though will remain "somewhat cartoony" and retain "functional aspects to the art that are pretty significant to the players," Valve's DotA 2 project lead told Game Informer. The aim is to make every hero's visual style and animations unique enough so they can be identified immediately. Custom voice work will also provide heroes with "amusing lines" as they encounter other heroes and destroy creeps.

Further, DotA 2 adds integrated voice chat, AI bots that take over for disconnected players, and new community-based features that not only reward participation, but should also ease DotA's intrinsically created negative attitude towards new players. Valve is upgrading Steamworks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83573-Valve-Releases-Steamworks] so that it can provide in-game rewards for DotA 2 players that participate in the community outside the game. Though specific details weren't provided, Valve says that bonuses like "unlocking new skins" or "unique titles for writing a strategy guide" are possibilities, while accruing points towards a "Gamerscore" is another.

As for what could help new players become more than just currency fodder, as they basically are the current world of DotA, Valve is looking at features outside of skill-based matchmaking. Interactive guides and a coaching system are being implemented to give top-level players a reason to help out the "noobs." Interactive guides written by the best players will be able to highlight strategic aspects of DotA play, while coaches will be able to get even more hands on. A DotA 2 coach will be able to see his/her student's screen and chat with him/her privately to help out just like a hired instructor. These coaches will be rewarded for positive feedback, though again, the specifics haven't been worked out.

Overall, it looks like Valve is putting together another huge game that has its origins in the modding community. DotA 2 will be released on the PC and Mac in 2011.

Source: Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/10/13/dota-2-announced-details.aspx]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
No episode 3 then, never even heard of DOTA until valve bought it or whatever.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
You know lately, I just think Valve is more of an art company more than a game company. Seriously, everything they do lately is "distinctive, easy to recognise ________".

imnotparanoid said:
No episode 3 then, never even heard of DOTA until valve bought it or whatever.
ITS NOT HAPPENING YET, OK, STOP ASKING.

Please *cries*

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need my fps's!!!

anything, even an original one

cmon valve

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
This seems pretty damn cool. I had no prior interest in (or substantial knowledge of) DotA, but this could very well tip the balance.
Also, in the past I've thought that Steam could benefit from a Gamerscore-esque system, where my TF2 achievements are represented for all the world.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Just as I was suspecting. Good thing I stopped craving for Episode 3 a long time ago. This looks like it could be interesting, as I've never played the original(s?) DoTA.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Never played the game (odd considering I have it in Warcraft 3) but its description sounds interesting and the image shown looks cool.

Maybe I'll give it a try when its released.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Looks cool, but like Civilizations 5 I won't be able to play it.

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
DotA? by Valve? omgahd omghad omghad?!?!? I want it, I love DotA and I love Valve. This has to be good.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Yesssssss, seriously can't wait for this. League of Legends is the game I play the most and now that Valve is doing it...fucking awesome.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Umm, valve weren't you supposed to be working on a certain new episode to the game which put you on the fucking map? I never played Dota when it was free so why should I play it when it actually costs money? Valve, please drop the side projects and finish what we all clearly want... I am of course talking about Left 4 Dead 3.[/sarcasm]

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The graphics will be improved, though will remain "somewhat cartoony"...

The aim is to make every hero's visual style and animations unique enough to they can be identified immediately. Custom voice work will also provide heroes with "amusing lines"...

Actually I'd really like TF2 Cameo characters.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I was right, it wasn't anything a Valve fan would give a shit about! Five points for me, woohoo!

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I am pretty disappointed about this announcement...but it is nice that Valve is doing new stuff instead of just rolling with a few franchises...

And Steam released the DOOM pack for like 30 bucks so i'm all set for a LOOOOOONG time...

thomas2

May 9, 2009
It'll have to be pretty damn good (or free) to tempt me away from League of Legends since I don't really have time for 2 DoTa games. Still a game type/genre I like by a company I like has got good potential.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I just pray that they keep Rikimaru (Stealth Assassin) the way he is now...

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Pretty awesome. I've always been interested by DoTA, but never could be that bothered to get started with it. Slightly surprised that Valve are doing it, but all the better!