Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Moonpooman said:
Just as I was suspecting. Good thing I stopped craving for Episode 3 a long time ago. This looks like it could be interesting, as I've never played the original(s?) DoTA.
Stopped craving?

TEACH ME HOW!
Play the Half - Life series for the first time starting with Half Life 2 during 2008. Remember to get the original Half - Life last summer. That should work like a charm.

Alternatively, you could just play Civilization or something.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Dyme said:
So they may use the name DotA for their commercial product? That sounds pretty retarded, because Valve didn't develop DotA and now they want to make money with an exact copy of it?
Even if Icefrog gets money, there were others who also worked on DotA.
They did pretty much the exact same thing with Counter Strike and Team Fortress, as far as I'm aware.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
Dyme said:
So they may use the name DotA for their commercial product? That sounds pretty retarded, because Valve didn't develop DotA and now they want to make money with an exact copy of it?
They did pretty much the exact same thing with Counter Strike and Team Fortress, as far as I'm aware.
Don't forget about Day of defeat or portal.

Illithidae

Oct 19, 2010
Though DotA is great, as is the main spinoffs of LoL and HoN, I can't help but think the population of these games are being spread way too thinly. Once DotA 2 comes out that'll be four games that the original players of DotA will be playing and four games that newcomers will have to choose between.

Not that it will help them with the community of these games. I've come to the understanding that most people in these games are pricks. Even your 'friends' in the games. Speaking of which, I wonder if DotA 2 will have more mature themes and a similar rating. If so, I might help to block out some of those whiny children who do think they're the gods of DotA and turn out to be nothing but feeders.

And on another note, It seems that Valve's going to be capturing another group of gamers if they manage to pull this off. They'll have both a mainstream FPS game and a mainstream RTS/MOBA game. Where next, a mainstream Cooking Mama game?

smithy_2045 said:
Dyme said:
Icefrog gave HoN permission to copy the heroes, items, etc from DotA, change the name and then sell it. If I'm right, Icefrog's presence in Valve means that Valve has the rights to DotA and is allowed to make a sellable version of DotA themselves. Valve has a much better history of balance in their games than Icefrog has, however, and I'm sure the new game will be better balanced for new heroes and old.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Unfortunately, with DotA 2 in the hands of Valve I fear that it will eventually just be 'BUY ITEMS TO GET HATS AND COSTUMES.'

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
xxcloud417xx said:
Choppaduel said:
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need my fps's!!!

anything, even an original one

cmon valve
My first thought upon reading this post was that you were being silly for asking for an FPS when so many are already out there and are constantly being released. But shortly after that thought I realized that the ones that are out there are pretty damn shitty and that Valve does need to make us a new FPS, cuz I am tired as shit of the damn Modern Warfare clones...
*channels Father Grigori* Amen to that brother!

lightbeats

Aug 5, 2009
I'm going to wait until we see what Valve can come up with before making judgements. What could happen is valve create a game which doesn't grasp some of the fundamental mechanics of dota, makes it too easy, or in some other way mucks it up.

What is more likely to happen is Valve, like they do with every game / mod team, bring them into their family, give them everything they need to make a kick ass game, and absolutely nail it (see CS, TF2, DoD).

It will be kind of weird to see Valve go quite deep into the realms of RTS and Fantasy, I don't think we've seen that before, lets see what they can come up with. If it is successful it will probably mean the decline of HoN's player base, but I think LoL has got it spot on, and will continue to do well.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Um... I'm just going to wait until Valve releases another Orange Box containing Half Life 2-Episode1/2/and 3.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
This doesn't seem right. I mean yeah they've got IceFrog, but he's not the only one who designed DotA. So what gives them the right to file trademark over it? Shouldn't they be looking to make sure the other original creators profited off of it too?