Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

Rumor has it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105107-Rumor-Morgan-Freeman-Joining-Zac-Efron-for-Akira-Adaptation] that Zac Efron and Morgan Freeman are being considered for leading roles in a live-action adaptation of classic 1988 anime film Akira. Would you go to see this movie?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
When the name "Morgan Freeman" appears, all bets are off: that movie will be good, at the very least.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
A live action version isn't needed, not of Akira, not of many animes, just leave them alone...

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Zac Effron.. im undecided.
However i've yet to see a Morgan Freeman film i didnt enjoy.
Though i dont think people should be writting the movie off yet when the cast hasnt even been officailly annouced, i think people should at least wait for some trailers.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Absolutely. Considering the tripe that comes out nowadays anyway, it should be a decent distraction.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Possibly.
If I do, it'd be because I just want to see what'll happen, and not because I expect it to be good.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
DSK- said:
I have yet to see the original Akira :/
You're missing out! Just rent if you don't want to buy :p

OT: It's unnecessary on every level. The original still has relevance today even though it was made in the 80s.
Just not needed and, from the poll, unwanted.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
I'll see it because it sounds like a potential train wreck, but it can't be worse than Last Airbender.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I still need to watch the original, so the live-action adaptation means nothing to me.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
First off, Zach Efron I don't like, though if I'm to be honest, if he's playing Kaneda (which I assume he is) then he might be right for the part, though he'll have to bring the toughness factor up a couple knots.

Ironically enough, Morgan Freeman, who I really like, is completely wrong though. What I've heard is that he's going to be playing the Colonel, and I'll reiterate, they could not have picked someone who fit the part less. The Colonel is this big bullheaded muscular guy, military through and through, think like if you took Vin Diesel and made him a decade or so older and got him some acting classes. Again, I like Freeman, but he's just not right for the part.

I loved Akira, and I would not be opposed to a well done live action version, but from what I've heard of this one so far, it's shaping up to be a travesty. It just reeks of a Hollywood cash grab.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
No, I don't like Zac Efron / Morgan Freeman.
I think this pretty much says "No, I don't like Zac Efron."

Anyway I voted "Other" I might see it... but casting has nothing to do with it.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I agree that a live-action Akira isn't really needed. Sounds more like another movie based off no one coming up with a unique movie idear for themself so copying someone else's story.

But anywho, I would watch it no matter who was in it though to get me really interested in seeing the movie it would need a great cast. Freeman is a good start.