Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
With that cast I would be pessimistic. Not that I dislike the actors - I love Freeman and I enjoyed Efron in 17 Again - but I doubt someone like Zac Efron would get cast in a movie like Akira without some *serious* cuts to the action and especially gore.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I chose other, since I wouldn't see it if it starred the best actors in the universe.
I just don't like anime.

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
Here's the problem I've got: Zac Effron is Zac Effron. When I look at a screen he's on, there's Zac Effron. I don't necessarily think he's a bad actor, but his image is so invasive in everyday life that I can't see a character he plays, regardless of his talent or lack thereof.

Unfortunately the same goes for Morgan Freeman. He's Morgan Freeman. Everyone know who he is, and despite the fact that he's an amazing actor, it takes a lot to get away from the idea that he is Morgan Freeman. These translate well as voices for animated features and such, but often don't translate in adaptations of other works.

An example: I was sitting with a friend watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Elijah Wood's character comes up and she immediately says "Frodo!" You get the point.

So no, I don't want to see either of those actors in Akira. I want to see actors I don't know and can't think of outside of their roles. Also, I kind of object to the necessity of a live action Akira.

morkalavin

May 21, 2009
Hollywood adaption of a Japanese classic? Jebus, does noone remember the Hollywood lizard called Godzilla? That can't be right, sorry!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I wouldn't watch it because I did not like Akira to start with.

I mean I should, I know that, but I just don't.

Anime...I just don't like it.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
I would not give money to one more americanized adaptation of a foreign work.

One massively good actor means nothing if the rest of the production is faltering.

To the people who claim not to like anime: You're making a serious mistake putting Akira in the same mental category as most japanese animation drivel that arrives in the west. That does not represente a fraction of what gets produced overthere.

Anime is just animation that happens to be made in Japan. There's good and bad like any other media.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
How about this: Replace Zac Efron with Morgan Freeman. Everybody wins.