Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Anything might be possible with Morgan Freeman, but a Hollywood Adaptation of AKIRA actually being 'good'?

If it does end up being good I will really start/join the Church of Morgan Freeman.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
No, I don't like live-action adaptations of things like this.
Wouldn't this logic also have invalidated the creation of the anime itself because it was previously adapted from a manga?

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
NO! Wait...let me rephrase that. NO!!! Not because I disprove of the actors. I've never seen Highschool Musical, but I believe that with the right director and writing it would be fairly easy for an actor to be tolerable, yes I'm talking about Efron here. Morgan Freeman is awesome, but him being in a movie does not make it good in my book.

Here is my problem with the whole concept. If you have seen the original Akira you'll know that it's huge in scale. The final "battle" is ridiculous in size and would just transfer poorly to a live-action filming. I'm sure they could do it with CG, but it would not be the same. The feeling I get with anime is one where fantasy and monsters and demons are easy to convey because it is a "cartoonish" medium. It is difficult for me to believe that the same creatures will be as believable and moving as they were in the original animated feature. It was and is an awesome movie, I hope it is not ruined.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
man, why a live-action remake? Animation is (in my opinion, anyway) a superior medium to film. Animation is much more expressive, the makers have tighter control, and any fantasy action is more believable. (I HATE HATE HATE wire-fu)

ninjaman87

Aug 9, 2010
hell no, theres a reason why this stuff must be told in anime form, has anyone forgotten the mess they made from dragonball evolution and considering the director made of that directed shaolin soccer and kung fu hustle two really great movies.

i mean the only reason i went to see DE was because of the director, theres no solid reason why anime or manga should be turned live action by american cinema,holliwod would just try to screw it up to make money out of it.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
The "No, I don't like Zac Efron / Morgan Freeman." Should really be renamed No I don't like Zac Efron. Seriously who doesn't like Morgan Freeman?

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
It would only have potential if this one was a full Japanese production. This sounds more like sacrilege than anything else.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I'd like to see a live action version of Ghost in The Shell, before Akira.

Hell before this week I heard Leo dicaprio was going to play Kaneda(which after Inception wouldnt be bad) and it was goign to eb set in New New York or something.

I Hope they'll stick with the Japanese setting, dont ruin a classic.

Kere

Mar 23, 2009
I don't know if I would really go see it...I would believe in giving things like this a chance, especially if its Akira, but I alway think about what they did to DBZ with making it live action...

And plus for all we know it will be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
My disdain for this movie has nothing to do with the cast. It has everything to do with the way they've taken what's already a really good story and gutted it and fucked with it until it no longer resembles the original all in the name of making it apparently 'more acceptable to the American audience.'

Don't they realize that most of the people that would be interested in a live action version of Akira are people who liked the anime and manga? That those people are the ones who are gonna be pissed off now because they fucked the story up until it no longer resembles the original? Those people are now not going to go see the movie(most of them anyway) and now they'll lose money and wonder why the movie failed.

Kere said:
And plus for all we know it will be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI
That was one of the most hilarious and horrible things I've ever seen all at the same time.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I watched Akira for the first time last year; it didn't seem too impressive. My hunch is that a lot of the love directed at it has more to do with its influence on later works and role in introducing many Western audiences to a new genre.

At the same time, I always feel a little squidgey about big-budget attempts to translate a work into a new medium. Too often, the people responsible for such adaptations think that such work is a mechanical process - take the original and remake it in the new medium. It's actually much more of an art, regardless of whether the original is a book, cartoon, or game. The people involved need to realize that the whole of what they're creating is something brand new no matter how much material they are recycling to produce it.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
I'm gonnna be honest: I love Zac Effron. A while back my sister convinced me to watch 17 Again, and to tell you the truth, he was just fantastic in it. Now, I don't know a lot about Akira, so I can't be sure whether or not he's right for the role, but to tell the truth, if this movie sucks I don't think it'll be because of Effron's acting.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The question is this... can the badass that is Morgan Freeman turn around the fail that is Zac Efron?

To be fair, I haven't given any of his movies after High School Musical a chance... so he could be decent, I suppose.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Efron's a passable actor, and Freeman is of course God, but that doesn't change the fact that this will be a ridiculously Americanized film, probably with little connection to the original plot of the manga. I'm surprised we haven't heard any grumbling from Otomo yet.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Well Morgan Freeman would be awesome because he is pretty awesome

but i am not sure about Zac Efron.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
If the movie is supposedly good, then I'd go see it. It's how I decide on if I see any movie.