Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I'll watch it just to see how badly they maul the plot and characters.

Morgan Freeman is an amazing actor and I'm sure he could pull off any role he wants to pretty easily. This Efron kid's an unknown to me though.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
I wouldn't watch a PG-13 Akira movie...but then again I probably wouldn't watch any Akira movie. The anime sucked bad already...the manga is great, though.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I'll watch pretty much any film if Morgan Freeman is in it, Zac Efron on the other hand? I think not.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
I might, I don't mind Zac and I love Morgan Freeman. Depends on the reviews really (I've never watched Akira).

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
That movie can not be turned in to child friendly cashing. It will ruin the spirit of the manga and the anime.
WHy is that Hollywood MUST ruin everything that is good. (Don't bother saying that you didn't like it, it is still got in to the 501 movies you need to see book along with Monoke, no bleach or Naruto there... And I personally love it.)

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
I had to pick other, because the answer is "No, I don't like Akira."

Really, it's probably the worst anime I've ever seen. There are no words to describe how much I despise it. Why so many people like it is something I cannot even begin to understand.

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
I don't even know what Akira is, obviously an anime, but a trip to Wikipedia is in order. Also I think the poll needs something along the lines of, I'm unsure because I don't know what Akira is. So I guess I'm in the Other category.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Aylaine said:
Having just watched the actual Akira a few days ago, I can say I'd give it a chance. Denying it simply because of Zac Efron is silly for obvious reasons. Regardless of who is cast, it deserves a chance. :)
Although I don't like Zac Efron, he's the least of the problems that this live-action adaptation has.

The most glaring problem is turning an all-Japanese cast into Americans.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Other: don't like Akira at all. More of a Ghost in the Shell person, myself. I doubt the live action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell will turn out well either, but I am curious to see it.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Would I watch it? yes because I love Akira. do I think they could have chosen someone better then Zach Effron? oh hell yes. Does Morgan Freeman cancel out Zac Efron? quite possibly. Should a live action Akira be made? Probably not unless it follows the original to the T and is as messed up and gory as the original.

Edit: They will probably completely mess this up I can see this turning out worse then Doom or DragonBallZ. But MORGAN FREEMAN

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Why cant Hollywood leave The Japanese stuff alone >.<

Only if i was paid would I go see it

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
The "I don't like Zac Effron/Morgan Freeman" option should really be split up. Who doesn't like Morgan Freeman!?

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Hmmm... I dunno...

On the one had, you got Zac Efron playing who's supposed to be a badass gang leader... Not sure how that's going to go.

On the other, I totally see Freeman being that general guy (been a while since I've seen it). He totally has the initiative to play such a character.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I've never seen Akira, so I don't have any impulse to see a live action version, nor do I particularly care to watch the original.