Super Smash Creator Thinks Melee Was Too Hard

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Super Smash Creator Thinks Melee Was Too Hard

The man who made the GameCube's best-selling title thinks the game wasn't nearly as accessible as it ought to have been.

Slightly over nine years ago, Super Smash Bros. Melee hit GameCubes all across North America. The followup to the quirky N64 platformer/fighter became the most popular game on the system, selling an impressive seven million copies around the world.

Looking back on the game in Famitsu (as translated by 1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash]), however, creator Masahiro Sakurai says that the game was too technical - something he aimed to address in the Wii followup, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

"I had created Smash Bros. to be my response to how hardcore-exclusive the fighting game genre had become over the years," Sakurai said, though it ended up having the opposite effect. "But why did I target it so squarely toward people well-versed in videogames, then? That's why I tried to aim for more of a happy medium with Brawl's play balance."

If there is ever a fourth Smash Bros., don't expect it to be a return to hardcore complexity, either. "[Even] if I ever had a chance at another one, I doubt we'll ever see one that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was. Melee fans who played deep into the game without any problems might have trouble understanding this, but Melee was just too difficult."

"If we want new people from this generation of gamers to come in," Sakurai said in a statement that will sound familiar to anyone following Nintendo this generation, "then we need it accessible, simple, and playable by anyone. You can't let yourself get preoccupied with nothing but gameplay and balance details."

In other words, the game was never intended to be played with all items turned off on one of the boring flat maps like Final Destination. You know who you are, tournament players. You know who you are.

(1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash])

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I always thought Melee was beating me into the ground at times. Brawl still beats me, but not into the ground. Glad it wasn't just me making excuses.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I actualy went to a tournament at my local library for Melee, most boring 2 hours of my life. No items, just final destination, and we could only play as Mario, Link, Samus or Fox.....

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Pokemon Stadium, only pokeballs, highest frequency occurence was my favourite combo, but I was more than happy to play pretty much any map.

Except the Donkey Kong ones. Screw you DK!

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Who else read that Melee came out 9 years ago and thought, has it really been that long?

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Broady Brio said:
Two words.

Cruel. Brawl.

Could ANYONE do that!?
Yes, with ease actually. Use the Jigglypuff and just float back and forth under the stage and make them suicide. Takes a while and is kinda boring, but it gets the job done.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
I actualy went to a tournament at my local library for Melee, most boring 2 hours of my life. No items, just final destination, and we could only play as Mario, Link, Samus or Fox.....
What the hell kind of tournament limits your characters?

I used to play in tournaments. It was no items, but we could pick our characters, and both players had to agree on a stage if they didn't want to do Final Destination. I kicked ass with Samus. Those were good times.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I have a friend who likes taking the items off and restricting the stage to final destination... just takes the fun out of the game in my opinion!

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Any map, Kirby or Captain Falcon. I thought Melee was fine personally, loved the maps.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
I'd like to apologize beforehand, but this needs posting:
<youtube=O-7gmds2njg>
As for the OP, I disagree. Yeah it was pretty complex, but you could still easily pick it up and play.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Melee was great. Just because you may have trouble with some of the challenges, doesn't mean it's too hard. Having a character like Mewtwo to unlock made it tons more fun and long lasting, and it just seemed more fun than brawl to me. However having subspace emissary did make playing classic or adventure feel rather dull...

But I wouldn't class it as "too hard" just because not many people can get the super duper extreme completionist version of 100%.

And in Melee everyone felt equal, and could be equal even if new people came. Whereas whilest playing Brawl, me and my friends often complained about "noob" characters" that made multiplayer too easy to win.

Smash Bros. isn't about winning, but the fun had whilest attempting so!

Matrixbeast

Sep 18, 2010
Melee tournaments were so boring...
I actually did attend a tournament.
And dropped out 5 min later because, according to them,
"Mr. Game & Watch's matchups are too low, you would lose anyway. So choose another character please."

So yeah, there are tourneys that limit your characters...

I also found that wavedashing junk to look incredibly boring.
"LOLZ! I can move without actually walking!"
"Good for you! You've wrecked your, what, eighth controller now?"

itsnotyouitsme

Dec 27, 2008
Melee was the right type of hard. It had very fast reaction time and decent attacks so dodging became useful as opposed to standing still and just attacking once the other person stops rolling around.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
TriggerUnhappy said:
I'd like to apologize beforehand, but this needs posting:
<youtube=O-7gmds2njg>
As for the OP, I disagree. Yeah it was pretty complex, but you could still easily pick it up and play.
Funny thing is the guy running the tournament bitched just like that XD

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
John Funk said:
In other words, the game was never intended to be played with all items turned off on one of the boring flat maps like Final Destination. You know who you are, tournament players. You know who you are.
THANK YOU.

There are people in my friendship circle who feel this is the ONLY WAY TO PLAY THE GAME. It's like choosing 'slappers only' in goldeneye on a custom-made map of one giant room. ("You can't make custom maps in goldeneye!" Shut up. Shut up you.)

There are options. There's several dozen items, and about 25 maps. In Brawl, you can make actual custom maps. Yes, I know the game is SUPPOSED to be about the characters, but seriously. If you make me do final destination with no items I'm going to choose either Meta Knight or Young Link and spam your ass. You don't like it? Fuck you then hypothetical friend of mine.

Sach

Nov 22, 2009
Why must they continue to dumb down all my favorite games? To me this is a slap in the face to the people that stuck with you over the years...

PS: You don't have to mention all the "money making" BS, I'm well aware of the business end of it... Still sucks though.