Super Smash Creator Thinks Melee Was Too Hard

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
play balance?? Brawl was extremely lopsided. Plus it had the smash-ball watch was sort of like a deus ex machina for whoever got it. I always turn the damn thing off when I play.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Odd, because I felt Melee was the best of the 3.

I never played the original, but I got Brawl and remember not liking it nearly as much as Melee. The primary problem with Brawl was the Smash Ball, what a horrible idea that was.

Melee felt like a fighter, Brawl felt like a badly tuned button masher.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
So, I'm guessing they are going to remove the special button and just have one button for attack and another for block. Infact just autoblock everything when your not attacking, even if its an overhead, low, or a crossup. Cause thinking while playing is for fags. And get rid of throws, throws are cheap cause you can't block them. Also playing people that are better then you is also not fun for new players. So If your profile has 5+ hours of play time over your opponent, your not allowed to play against them. In fact, pressing buttons is so complex, you can just watch the AI go at it and not worry at all about looking like a scrub or learning to play a game you and your friends like.

Am i doing it right?

Anyway, I have little to no respect for the smash community but do enjoy fucking around with the series. But melee is too complex of a fighter for people to get into? Get the fuck outta here!

Also for the people that are complaining about the dumb rules of Tourney SSBB, find out if the person running the show has any idea wtf is going on. Just remember, none of the characters are banned. Certain tourneys allow items. Stages are set to different groups (A and B), both players have to agree on a stage, loser gets to pick the stage after the first game, and the banned stages are banned for very good reasons (instakill exploits, moving stages make fat characters free, etc...) Also it would be good to dispel the notion that SSBB serious players only play on Final Destination (they don't). Main reason they don't 'always' play that stage cause it favors projectile characters (Snake, Samus, and whatever) Since there are no other platforms to move around on to dodge shit thrown at you.

I'd say why most people make fun of tourey SSBB players is cause most people only see the scrubbist players of the SSBB scene (and there are WAY too many of them). You know, people who whine about everything like the fucking sky is falling down because one person in their pool plays a top tier character or something stupidly childish like that.

Oh well,

TL;DR

Just cause a game has depth, doesn't mean it is unaccessible to new players. Look at Super Scrub Fighter 4 or 90% of blazblue players.

And Tourneys are for competition, if you don't wanna compete, don't go! No one will look down on you for it (especially not me).

ChroniclerC

Oct 30, 2009
"You can't let yourself get preoccupied with nothing but gameplay and balance details."
To be fair to the tournament nuts, that is precisely why they feel they "have" to ban so much stuff. Brawl has so much random shit that are all either "get me and win" or "avoid me or lose". I mean, it's still fun to play with that stuff enabled, but it ain't exactly balanced.

But in any case, fuck Final Destination. If you can't fight in two dimensions, then that's your problem. Learn to jump already.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
I can understand turning items off in a tourney, it's aggravating as hell when "the only reason you won was cause that crate spawned next to me and exploded" yeah, sounds like an excuse, even to me, even though I've said it, but i don't like lousing my fight because of an essentially random factor. Anyway when items are on i always tend to just throw stuff at people. No matter what it was it just got chucked the second it got into my hand, sword, baseball bat, capsule... all got thrown at you. I didn't feel like this was the way the items were meant to be used and i felt bad for using them like this, it really felt like a cheap tactic.
As for stage and character restrictions, i preferred final destination, but the tactics i used with link suited the map perfectly, so i always felt i had an unfair advantage there. Restricting characters is just stupid though. I consider link the most powerful but other people still prefer other characters, cause he obviously isn't universally chosen, link is obviously not overpowered which speaks to the ability of the developers to balance 20 odd characters. And some of the lists of characters people are mentioning that they were restricted to picking make no sense, they list the guys that i consider to be the best, if someone thinks they can do better with someone else, then let them try, it adds more variety and fun to the fight anyways.
Now that i think about it... i wonder if they restrict the lists because these are the most popular ones and so they spend all their time practicing against them and then realized that people that are good at other characters ans used to fighting all the characters have an "unfair" advantage.

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
Seems like most of you had some really bad tournaments. I had nothing but fun in tournaments considering it was mostly people I knew but was not friends with. I always ran with my favorite characters and always ended up in the top percent. I knew I wasn't great so I just concentrated on enjoying myself. Good times.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
God, Sakurai needs to get the glass out of his face. Look at the game! It's a fanservice game! It's never going to be any more immediately accessible to anyone other than nerds no matter how much you dumb it down! The OTHER games are for suckering in newbies, but Smash? Smash is for the fans, no matter how disappointed you are Daddy Sakurai.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I enjoy brawl and melee equally... to be honest my favourate map was the Starfox spaceship one, it was mostly dull, but had the occational fighter plane come in an instakill people :D

As for no items, I can understand turning off some things, but some items require a fair bit of skill and arn't over powered, like the baseball bat, lightsword, superscope, etc.

Just a shame "pro" players all do the crap like wave dashing.

Its like if you ever try to play mariokart... you shouldn't be able to go faster down a straight by zigzagging!!!!

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah. Me too.
Some may say that Brawl is too easy in comparison, but it taking me TWO YEARS in order to get Mewtwo was a little too inaccessible.
Still a good game. But sometime it was REALLY HARD.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Wait, wait, wait wait wait wait wait!

Are they really considering making another one? Really? EEEEEEEE!!!

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Oh thanks god I always hated when people used no items on boring maps and people always said that I was a "NOOB" for playing on level 5 with all the items on interesting maps

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
TriggerUnhappy said:
I'd like to apologize beforehand, but this needs posting:
<youtube=O-7gmds2njg>
As for the OP, I disagree. Yeah it was pretty complex, but you could still easily pick it up and play.
LMFAO hilarious...

OT: I feel like what he's refering to is nothing more than improved controls over Melee. The game is still just as ridiculous at tournament level as melee was. Yea the characters don't fall as fast and there's a longer delay between input and response, but I always felt that Brawl just feels more fluid.....and dodging in midair no longer leaves yourself vulnerable to complete pwnage.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
I'm not the only one who thought one on one at Final Destination with no items was the most fun, right?

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
EBHughsThe1st said:
Yeah. Me too.
Some may say that Brawl is too easy in comparison, but it taking me TWO YEARS in order to get Mewtwo was a little too inaccessible.
Still a good game. But sometime it was REALLY HARD.
That character was inaccessible to you, yes, but this is about the game as a whole and getting people to buy it in the first place. If they played it at a friends house and found it a whirl of pain and confusion, then the game as a whole is inaccessible and they probably won't buy it. But if you played it and had fun and some idea of what you were doing and how to do it better next time then the game as a whole was pretty accessible, especially if you are new to fighting games and most especially if you are new to games in general.

*EDIT* i will agree though, if there were multiple ways to unlock Mew Two than it would be better. Or if you didn't have to unlock characters at all, that makes no sense in a game where they're all balanced anyway, but i can understand it from a design perspective, adds goals and a good reason to keep playing, but at the expense of the quality of the experience.

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
I went to a brawl tourney once. (got 2nd place as yoshi..beaten by a GIRL) and the only rules were no items unless both players agree to have them, final destination unless both players agree to a different one, and no pikachu because they thought he was cheap. Was lots of fun

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
quantumsoul said:
I'm not the only one who thought one on one at Final Destination with no items was the most fun, right?
Its fun when fighting other skilled characters who love a challenge, but it can get boring o:

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Why not just add some harder modes and that way everyone wins in the next one?