Bethesda Ditching Old Tech for New Elder Scrolls Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Ditching Old Tech for New Elder Scrolls Game

The next Elder Scrolls game will look "fantastic," says Bethesda's community manager.

It's out with the old and in with the new for the fifth Elder Scrolls game. Specifically, it's out with the old GameBryo engine that Bethesda has used for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even Morrowind, and in with a custom-built engine.

A tweet from the official Bethesda Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929] feed said the developer had seen a lot of speculation about the technology that Skyrim would use, and confirmed that it would run on a "spectacular" new engine. When pressed on whether "new" meant entirely new, or some new version of GameBryo, Bethesda community manager Nick Breckon said [http://twitter.com/#!/nickbreckon/status/14059634595729408] that "new" meant a brand new, internally created, "gameplay/graphics engine."

Back in August, Bethesda's Todd Howard briefly talked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102813-Bethesda-Working-on-Two-Games-at-Once-Says-Producer] about the engine for Skyrim, although the game obviously hadn't been announced at that point. He said that it was based on the technology for Fallout 3 - which was part GameBryo and part Bethesda's own work - but had received some pretty heavy modification, particularly in the parts that handled characters and animation. Howard added that the new engine would make people "almost feel like [they had] a new console,"

Skyrim comes out for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 on November 11th next year.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/12/bethesda-says-skyrim-engine-all-new/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
How pretty is it going to be? Because Oblivion was one of the prettiest games when it came out.

I predict uber-pretty.

This engine is probably going to be even buggier!

Seeing as they've had time to adjust to the Gamebryo engine at this point.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Good news, the conversation system was just too weird looking. Hopefully it'll look much better this time. I kinda fell out with Oblivion but I'll happily give this one a go.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Oh God, finally.

Though whether they fix the horrible character animations and bugginess is another thing, it's a good start!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
WOOOOOOOO NEW ENGINE YEAHHHHHH!!

Ahem. Yes, this news does spark feelings of general happiness. I predict that this game shall be awesome.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
There's nothing wrong with the Gamebryo engine in itself, but rather Bethesda's use of it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
By Azura, by Azura, by Azura! It's a decent engine!

In Oblivion, I was all "Are you feeling alright? Because your dead-eyed stare is really unnerving."

Now, hopefully, I'll be saying "You look like you aren't the poster child for the Uncanny Valley."

I wasn't bothered by the animations in Fallout 3, but Oblivion is a bit worse, and that pushed it over the edge for me. Let's hope Skyrim fixes this.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
In before they use that engine to make Fallout 4.

I'm calling that right now.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Question! Never played Elder Scrolls Morrowind or Oblivion (yeah I know..). Could I still play Skyrim when it arrives? Or do I need the other CD's? Will the game make sense?

I'de love to play a good-looking and popular game like Skyrim.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
The animation for Bethesda's games have always bugged me.

If they fix it, I might finally reach the height of gaming nirvana:

Immersion.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I can't wait for the game, but at this point, I'd take some screens. I really want to see what this is going to look like.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
While this news is pretty interesting in itself I was more happy to see that Nick Breedon still lives.

Aside from that I also seem to have read something where Todd Howard says that it will be the same engine only modified. Who to trust?

And I kinda hope they get a new team of monkeys to write their story. The ones they are using right now are pretty bad. I advise a move the Orang-utan based Word-o-Matic 2500.