Critical Miss: Children of Steam #4

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It was always funny to me how English people name their children after genitalia.
I wonder who was the first to name his kid Dick.
[sub]No offense intended towards people whose names are Dick.[/sub]

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
So, where did these two guys come from? Are they the slowpokes from IGN, now transformed into humans?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol dick jokes are funny on the same token pun jokes are. its all in the seemless delivery! XD

nice zinger at that the end lol

DynamicPenguin

Mar 11, 2009
Jonluw said:
It was always funny to me how English people name their children after genitalia.
To my understanding the name "Dick" is an abbreviation of the name "Richard". Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
DynamicPenguin said:
Jonluw said:
To my understanding the name "Dick" is an abbreviation of the name "Richard". Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.
Because, of course, "dick" originally meant "male genitalia," and has NEVER HAD ANY OTHER MEANINGS WHATSOEVER.

That's the way language works, right?! Someone creates a word that means something, and then that meaning is etched in the very fabric of time, right?!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
DynamicPenguin said:
Jonluw said:
Yeah, I've heard that one. Doesn't really make much sense though. A guy is called Richard, but everyone calls him "Dick" because... He's a massive dick?... or maybe just for fun. Doesn't really make sense that someone should name their kid Dick just because of that. Perhaps "dick" didn't mean the same thing back then.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Jonluw said:
The father of my mother's friend was named Richard Handy, but went by "Dick." Mom's friend was always mortified when he answered the phone "Dick Handy!"

On topic: 'Twas a fine epic indeed. I hope to see more like this in the future!