Critical Miss: Children of Steam #4

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Go with the fault-block range, fold mountains are for losers. Of course volcanos are way cooler than either of those other two, plus it fits with the theme.
Revelo said:
Am I the only one who realizes that the guy making dick jokes is none other then an expy of everyones favourite hack Tim Buckley? The hair and glasses are a dead giveaway as well.

Yes, I just did a B^U and explained the joke. Because B^Uckley makes dick jokes, geddit? It's funny because B^Uckley explains the joke too.

But seriously I liked the satire of that douchebag. Very well put guys, shame he won't read it himself, maybe I will post it on the CAD forums and get banned. =P

I'm not sure who the other one might be but he looks like Ryan Sohmer, which would make sense really.
Or they could be the creators of this webcomic... >_>

Bevvie

Jan 24, 2009
Act
Revelo said:

Not the best images, but I think it works.
Um actually, that's the webcomic writer. Of this webcomic. I know because I live with him, and have been dating him since forever. :) Although this image doesn't make him look as much like Jesus as it should. But it is close.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
enjoying the post steam apocalypse.

now for the language lesson.

Dick is short for Richard, it comes from the German Reinhard, not the other way around.

Richard is shortened to Rick (or Rik natch) and since its easier to start on a hard sound (like D) it changed to Dick.

Same with Bill being short for William. William shortened to Will, hard B easier than soft W.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
zHellas said:
DynamicPenguin said:
Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.
My thoughts on it:

Richard ---> Germans take name, pronounce as Rickard ---> Shortened to Rick ---> English take name, one guy thinks to change R to D ---> That catches on for some reason, and Dick is born!

OT:

Haha... Mountain of dongs. :p
Except Germans don't pronouce it Rickard but Richard (you know, with that sound that Americans for some reason can't pronounce. Like in "ich"). And there is no short form for it in German.

Iron Glorfindel

Nov 9, 2010
YES.
I ALWAYS thought if you took the handle off of one of those paper cutter things it would be a beastly sword.
Anyway, pretty good comic.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
But, given that fanny to us is female front bottom, you can imagine how funny we find the American fanny-packs, or Fanny Mae.
Well "fanny" just means "butt" in America. I think fanny packs were originally designed to be worn above the butt but people realized how much more convenient it is to wear them on the front.
Also: "female front bottom"? Do you mean someone who looks like they have their butt on the front of their body? Is that a thing?

Feb 13, 2008
Yankeedoodles said:
Well "fanny" just means "butt" in America. I think fanny packs were originally designed to be worn above the butt but people realized how much more convenient it is to wear them on the front.
Well, "butt" is American as well, we'd use "bum" (as in your Tramps) or "bottom".
Also: "female front bottom"? Do you mean someone who looks like they have their butt on the front of their body? Is that a thing?
The Vagina ;)

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yankeedoodles said:
Well, "butt" is American as well, we'd use "bum" (as in your Tramps) or "bottom".
The Vagina ;)
Ohhh. Wow, I imagine that would all kinds of hilarious!

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Jonluw said:
DynamicPenguin said:
Jonluw said:
It was always funny to me how English people name their children after genitalia.
I wonder who was the first to name his kid Dick.
[sub]No offense intended towards people whose names are Dick.[/sub]
To my understanding the name "Dick" is an abbreviation of the name "Richard". Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.
Yeah, I've heard that one. Doesn't really make much sense though. A guy is called Richard, but everyone calls him "Dick" because... He's a massive dick?... or maybe just for fun. Doesn't really make sense that someone should name their kid Dick just because of that. Perhaps "dick" didn't mean the same thing back then.
Same reason the American nickname for John is Jack.

zBeeble

Doublethinker
Nov 19, 2008
I didn't really get that this was british --- but given that, are we wandering off into the white mountains a-la tripods?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Sadly this comic is now winding its way back out of my affection...took a whole 2 strips to do it as well.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Comic was actually being pretty good but seriously, self-insertion as important characters? That's pretty cringe-worthy man, especially when the 'joke' consists of saying how bad your jokes are.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
DynamicPenguin said:
Jonluw said:
It was always funny to me how English people name their children after genitalia.
I wonder who was the first to name his kid Dick.
[sub]No offense intended towards people whose names are Dick.[/sub]
To my understanding the name "Dick" is an abbreviation of the name "Richard". Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.
Actually that would have been the Third Richard...

How do i feel about this comic? I'm reviewing the situation...