EA Announces Dead Space 2: Severed - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Announces Dead Space 2: Severed - UPDATED

Dead Space: Extraction [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Xbox-360/dp/B00309U0M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295983658&sr=8-1].

A prequel to the original Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Pc/dp/B0019C4MU2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1295983760&sr=8-11], Dead Space: Extraction was a Wii-exclusive rail shooter that's been ported for release as part of the PlayStation 3 version of Dead Space 2. It tells the unpleasant tale of a group of people attempting to escape the horror of Aegis VII, only to find that things aren't all that terribly much better aboard the ISS Ishimura. After being shot down on approach, they discover that the ship is infested with hideous, twisted necromorphs and find themselves trapped in a desperate battle for survival.

The first DLC release will see two of those characters, Gabe Weller and Lexine Murdock, return for an adventure that runs "parallel" to that of Isaac Clarke's in Dead Space 2. This time around, players will take on the role of Gabe, now employed as a security guard on the Sprawl, who must battle an onslaught of necromorphs in a desperate effort to get himself and Lexine to safety.

Dead Space 2: Severed is "coming soon" on the Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network, but there's no word yet whether it will be released for the PC. Dead Space 2 is out now for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and, yes, PC.

UPDATE: An Electronic Arts representative has confirmed that Dead Space: Severed will not be released for the PC.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Hopefully it will make it to PC too... Tired of Consoles getting all of it. Oh well, if it doesn't I'll just get it for Xbox, no big deal.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Fucking DLC, that's all I got to say. No matter what game.
Patches -> lovely.
DLC -> baddddddddddddddd.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
That is very awesome. Extraction was quite good and seeing characters from that make a return is great. I wonder what happened to the third guy who survived till the end of the game...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yopaz said:
Hopefully it will make it to PC too... Tired of Consoles getting all of it. Oh well, if it doesn't I'll just get it for Xbox, no big deal.
Nope, sorry, EA just made it official. Console only.

DrakeLake

Apr 5, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Yopaz said:
Lame. That's all there is to say.

Jul 22, 2009
I still don't like game developers announcing DLC before the game is out in every territory...

I get that there is a ton of time between finalizing and shipping but still, couldn't they wait like a week?

Announcing it on the day it's released in America and before it's even out in Europe somewhat feels like a slap in the face...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Dead Space 2 was released today and that means it's time to announce Dead Space 2: Severed,"

That you say this without any hint of "WHAT THE FUCK?!" saddens me. Or at least, I didn't pick up any "what the fuck-ness".

I still don't get why DLC is made consoles only either if you've already got the full game on PC - it hasn't even launched in Europe yet.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Yopaz said:
*sighs*
For fucks sake. What is going on here?

PC gamers don't get demos, consoles get patches first, consoles get DLC first/exclusive.
:(

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Yopaz said:
*sighs*
For fucks sake. What is going on here?

PC gamers don't get demos, consoles get patches first, consoles get DLC first/exclusive.
:(
I dunno about patches, we're normally faster to the punch from what I've seen.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
No. Seriously, the PC is getting a lot of this kind of shit happen. I suggest a petition. Would the Escapist mind if I heavily publicise one if I get it going? It is for a good cause; the battered ego's of the PC master race!

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
I'm assuming this means more people play games on consoles rather than PC's now-a-days? Hm.

In any case -- I got the Ultimate version: the PS3 version. I Should probably play extraction before I play DS2 then.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Woodsey said:
I dunno about patches, we're normally faster to the punch from what I've seen.
Maybe I'm getting mixed up, though I could swear there were a couple games where the console version was patched first.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Oh for the love of the gods... that game just came out today and they're already talking about a frakking DLC packet for it?! This really makes me want to bang my head against a wall... D:

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
great, now we don't just release games in pieces but we don't distribute the pieces among all platforms.
this just sucks

Netface

Oct 10, 2010
GoGo_Boy said:
Fucking DLC, that's all I got to say. No matter what game.
Patches -> lovely.
DLC -> baddddddddddddddd.
Because this is a perfectly rational position that covers the entire scope of possible DLC.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Yopaz said:
Good thing I haven't bought the game yet. I guess this will mean I am getting the Xbox version then. Thanks a lot for telling me by the way. Appreciate it.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
so let me get this straight, EA jacks up the price of the PC version to put it in line with consoles and are NOT going to offer the DLC. After that and the server issues I hear people had last night it seems like they are trying to do everything they can to irritate and deter their PC consumers from having any reason to support the games on the platform.