Critical Miss: Erin Hawke: Explorer

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Erin Hawke: Explorer

Saving Kirkwall, one "mossy-cave-with-a-staircase-and-some-minecarts" at a time.

Read Full Article

Dec 14, 2009
As much as I like DA2, it reeks of laziness. They didn't even try to make the maps look at least a little varied.

At least the dialogue is varied enough. It's like they spent all the dev time on the character scripts and about 10 minutes on the maps.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, I actually gave up on the game because of crap like that. The cookie cutter fights and "ambushes" didn't help either. Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed by it.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I was utterly psyched to buy it, and now I'm not so sure. I probably will buy it, It's just that I'm in the midle of my final exams.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sad, but true, I chuckled since I was commenting on this since almost day #1.

Maybe for your next strip you should do something with the monster spawn. Dock thugs jumping off roofs like ninjas, or walking into an area to find a spide the size of an elephant appearing out of nowhere to surprise you. :)

Admittedly though the monster spiders (the really big ones) do make me kind of miss the old D&D "Phase Spider". That wasn't intended here, but it was a cool monster. It would be interesting if they do a "Dragon Age 3" and decide to actually come up with a spider that moves in and out of the fade or something and actually uses that abillty while fighting. :)

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
I loved DA2 but I remember the exact moment - I believe it was the 3rd trip to the Wounded Coast - when I actually audibly sighed.

Dragon Age Origins suffered from the same thing with the "travel encounters" but because you spent so much time in main hub locations, it wasn't immediately obvious because they only happened when you travelled from one hub to another.

That aside, it wasn't a game killer. The story alone is worth going through the whole game just because it really helps flesh out the whole Dragon Age universe.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
That's pretty much the thing that really put me down in DA2, otherwise good gamne, but the recycling of the sames fews maps over and over again.... That's what happen when you develop a game like that in one year and half

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yup.

I liked the game, but the recycling of maps was just obnoxious. At one point I fought a band of smugglers in a building that looked suspiciously like my own house.

And then there was the time when I thought I'd finally been given a new map to explore and then realised I was just walking backwards through an old one. Eaarg.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
As much as I like DA2, it reeks of laziness.
I kinda feel the same about this comic though. There are probably a dozen, much more hilarious, jokes to toss about. Like Merrill's nativity or the "too much information" conversations you overhear in your group.

This is the one complaint I hear about the game, it's copy paste. So When I saw this comic, I didn't even laugh, I just sighed, said "Yes, yes it's true" and that's about it.

Apr 28, 2008
The areas were streamlined. Today's market just can't handle multiple areas with different layouts, it confuses and scares them. So now the levels are all the same, meaning nobody will have to think or be bored exploring anymore.

Thats probably not what happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Now is that a Rogue Mage, as in a person who has both the talents of a rouge& a mage. Or a rogue Mage as in a Mage who has gone awall?!

-M

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
midnightalone said:
Now is that a Rogue Mage, as in a person who has both the talents of a rouge& a mage. Or a rogue Mage as in a Mage who has gone awall?!

-M
Possibly both considering they're Rogue :D

Hehehe

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
The recycled maps don't bother me that much, except when there "exploration" quests that expect me traipse back through the same areas to find that cave that's now inexplicably not blocked by a cart now.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
I loved the ever-loving shit out of DA2, and I'm two thirds of the way through a second playthrough, but for the love of god (Or the Maker, or Andraste), you can tell they just spat this thing out, perhaps before they'd completed DA:O. I mean I know they had a date to hit, but I wouldn't mind waiting three years as opposed to 1 and 1/2, if it meant Kirkwall could have some bloody variety....

Also, Anders, where's the funny, Anders! Taking a humorous character and dragging him through a metric ton of angst, is not character development, it's a nuisance, a whiny nuisance who happens to be the only goddamn healer. I swear, at one point I was looking for a decapitation option.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I actually thought it was a joke the first time I noticed how "similar" the interior areas were. Then I realized it was not a joke and started sighing.