Critical Miss: Erin Hawke: Explorer

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
"Oooooh, this cave looks nice!"
"Say, this place looks familiar..."
"Ok, really, Bioware? REALLY?!"

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
I saw this comic and mentally did a facepalm thinking: ugh.. too bad it's true...

I must say though, I love the game. Over all, I find the characters more interesting and I also really like the city itself. But I'm sooo sick of the Wounded Coast!! Or those underground lairs. Sometimes it makes sense to revisit some areas, like for the Bone Pit mine quest chain, but otherwise.. I'm not happy just revisiting a few places, only with some doors locked.

Sethlad

Sep 13, 2010
So true... so so true.

In an otherwise great game (though I still preffer the old-shcool feel of originis) the repetitiveness of the maps can get reaaaaaaally frustrating.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
After a while you'd think they'd put up a warning sign or something.

It's also pretty weird how much the templars suck at finding apostates even though there's only one tunnel out of the city.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
This really annoyed me in-game, especially considering how interesting and varied real caves can be visually. Great comic, though.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Saw this one coming a mile away. Also I just noticed that Erin's name is dangerously close to a certain Nurse/Archer :p

Erin! Erin! Help me Erin!

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
On the other hand tho, it kinda makes sense once you think about it. Keep in mind you visit those cave sin different years, quite obvious someone else would like to take them after you cleared the previous "owners". Still very annoying.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Keava said:
On the other hand tho, it kinda makes sense once you think about it. Keep in mind you visit those cave sin different years, quite obvious someone else would like to take them after you cleared the previous "owners". Still very annoying.
That would be fine if the same cave on the Wounded coast wasn't exactly the same as the one on Sundermount or even the Bone Pit. The problem is that the room layouts are always the same they just switch around some of the room orders.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Look when you kill the people who are renting the property, the estate agents are always going to rent it out to another group of a similar Calibre. Make it easy on yourself and just destroy the whole cave next time. They can't move in if nothing is there.

OT: Reminds me a bit of Mass Effect's 'research/outpost bases with a different name'. Great joke.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
AHAHHAHAHAH! I love that game, but this is so true. By the time I was finding the blood mages, I wasn't even looking at the map for objectives. I just went straight to it.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
HankMan said:
Maybe the Mages and Pirates had the same interior decorater, and he used to live in an old mine. Its not lazy map desine, it's medievil fashon trend! :)
Speaking of fashion trend, the same thing (copies galore!) applies to clothes. Those fancy ones on the nobles are lucky if they get a color change!

License4Crackhead

Oct 26, 2010
You hit the nail on the head, but what REALLY bugs me in DA2 is that when they 'change areas' by blocking chunks of it off, they still keep the same damn map, which has led me plenty of times down roads which turned out to be blocked. unimpressed bioware, come on, you're better than this.

also, this girl you're are seeing, does she have baggage of the emotional kind?

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
Reminds me of Mass Effect 1 where 95% of the interior locations were the same 2-3 maps.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
midnightalone said:
Now is that a Rogue Mage, as in a person who has both the talents of a rouge& a mage. Or a rogue Mage as in a Mage who has gone awall?!

-M
AWOL. And it's funnier when you consider that the way mages work in the DA universe, they actually would fit the original definition, instead of the adapted one most people use.

Unless you were joking, in which case... Oops.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Since the game is a story told by Varric, could it be possible that HE'S just uncreative with dungeon designs?

Incidentally, using Varric to lie to NPCs is BEYOND a good idea, Varric is by far the single best improv bulshitter who ever lived.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
as much as I enjoy the game, when I do a couple quests in a row that send me to identical caves/houses it does take me out of the experience a bit.