Max Payne 3 Screens Show the Many Faces of Payne

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Max Payne 3 Screens Show the Many Faces of Payne

Whether you prefer Max Payne's classic leather-jacket-and-scowl or his new bald-wifebeater-and-thirty-extra-pounds look, Max Payne 3 will have you covered.

Gamers everywhere rejoiced when it was announced that there would be a new Max Payne, only to immediately cease rejoicing once we learned more. Gone was the classic look of hardboiled detective Max Payne and the cold streets of New York City - and even the iconic narration was in doubt. Instead, the game was missing the point [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92300-Max-Payne-Puts-on-Pounds-Sheds-Hair-For-New-Game]?

[gallery=214]

After lying dormant for two years, new screenshots finally surfaced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108867-New-Max-Payne-3-Screens-May-Give-Fans-Hope], giving gamers hope: Could Max be returning to something resembling how we all remembered him?

As you can see in the screens here, Max will be sporting his old look - if the player so chooses (presumably). In fact, it seems like the player will be able to give Max Payne a choice of a multitude of outfits (and haircuts). You've got the "bald wifebeater" look, the original "Kojak jacket and hair," and some new duds like a tropical shirt or a suit.

While it's unclear if these will merely be different skins at points in the game or if players can mix and match a la GTA and Dead Rising, I know a few gamers who will be very happy indeed to have Max looking like the man they knew and loved: With one hell of an ugly scowl on his face.

(Edge Magazine, via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/22/max-payne-has-a-lot-of-different-looks-in-max-payne-3/])

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
As long as he's no longer looking quizzically at everything I'm happy:

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Thankfully Rockstar took in some feedback. I have no problem at all with the new Dante and new Lara Croft that so many people took up arms for. They still look like themselves.

But I didn't recognize Max Payne at all when they released the first images of Max Payne 3. Completely different look, completely different fashion sense, completely different voice actor, completely different location, completely different art style.

These screens have restored some faith.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Yay! I saw trench coat detective Max! Although the Bald hobo Max is still there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've read that the game will have "aggressive editing" when it comes to swapping between time periods. That should be err... interesting. Especially given Rockstar's frankly terrible ability to pace their previous games - mind you, they are sandboxes, so perhaps that's why. Still, they've been making those long enough that you'd have thought they'd be able to handle it better.

And I can see foresee an issue where the old-Max sections turn out to be everyone's favourite.

Also, you say that you can pick and choose, but that's not the impression I get from this article:

http://www.kingps3.com/view/news.php?id=6013

Time jumps cause the change, from what I can gather.

The fat-fuck look (which I like, even if the Brazil setting is an odd choice) is what he looks like present day.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
Is it possible that the game will play in different time periods or is the skins concept cemented as fact? I think it might be different periods of Payne's life because the locations that each Payne is in looks different. However, the tone here says that these are just skins. I do not know how I feel about that though.

Edit: seems the guy above me answered my question while I asked it. I hope that it is the time change because the skin changes idea would have lessened the character. Just saying he isn't a rpg character to change the look at random. He is a pre-existing character with a set appearance. One set appearance that changes as the character ages makes much more sense to me atleast.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Woodsey said:
I've read that the game will have "aggressive editing" when it comes to swapping between time periods. That should be err... interesting. Especially given Rockstar's frankly terrible ability to pace their previous games - mind you, they are sandboxes, so perhaps that's why. Still, they've been making those long enough that you'd have thought they'd be able to handle it better.

And I can see foresee an issue where the old-Max sections turn out to be everyone's favourite.

Also, you say that you can pick and choose, but that's not the impression I get from this article:

The fat-fuck look (which I like, even if the Brazil setting is an odd choice) is what he looks like present day.
King_Serpent said:
Is it possible that the game will play in different time periods or is the skins concept cemented as fact? I think it might be different periods of Payne's life because the locations that each Payne is in looks different. However, the tone here says that these are just skins. I do not know how I feel about that though.

Edit: seems the guy above me answered my question while I asked it. I hope that it is the time change because the skin changes idea would have lessened the character. Just saying he isn't a rpg character to change the look at random. He is a pre-existing character with a set appearance. One set appearance that changes as the character ages makes much more sense to me atleast.
Edited to clarify that that was just my speculation based on the screens.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
John Funk said:
Woodsey said:

King_Serpent said:

Edited to clarify that that was just my speculation based on the screens.
Cool, they haven't been too clear on it anyway apart from that snippet - at first I thought Green Shirt Payne was a completely different character.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Is it true that they rehired James McCaffrey? Max looking all Die Hard 4 isn't too far out of the realm of possibility, but without that voice to carry me through it won't feel right. I need over-written but wonderful phrases along the lines of "the sickening truth I discovered in the winter night hit me in the gut like a bullet from a .45." for that iconic Max Payne feel.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Gaaaaah, Max Payne!!!!!!!!
I'm damn excited. Even though you can't really tell a lot from half the screenshots, something from them does resemble good ol' Maxie (except the fat bald guy screens). Especially screenshot number 9. The suit and the tie make me all nostalgic.

Also, is it just me, or does the final screenshot look like Charlie Sheen? Seriously, take a look. I might be going crazy...
Either way Max will be "winning"! Hah. Get it? "Winning"? As in Sheen-"winning"? Hah, I'm pure gold, aren't I?
Nope, i suck...

Anyways, Now i got to go and make some sacrifices to the Gaming Gods so that the game will be awesome. You'll thank me later.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
I think its good that he has to deal with being older. Remember, the first one was good because his life is fucked up. Hes no longer a cop, everyone thinks he corrupt, his family is dead, hes addicted to pills,etc.

Maybe well see what happens if he has to LIVE to be old, instead of die. But they should also give us something tangible to hold on to, to show this is the same guy. SOmething familiar.

Maybe if you take too many pills, he should make that face, lol

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cause for hope. We're not there yet, but it's something. We'll see.

And for people who say, Max Payne is older, he's grown, changed, evolved, etc., whatever, that's missing the point. Character growth is one thing but a dramatic, age-induced overhaul is something else entirely, and it's specifically not relevant to the experience. "Old Max Payne would be different?" Then he's not Max Payne.

Daquin

Mar 31, 2009
As long as they have the original writer on it and a few new songs by Poets of the Fall, I cannot really see too much wrong going with this game. Although I assume the "Dead on Arrival" ending is not going to be considered canon. Max cannot be happy, it would ruin things.