Brink Patched, Free DLC Coming In June

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Brink Patched, Free DLC Coming In June

Bethesda Softworks' hyperactive shooter Brink may have launched to disappointing reviews, but the developer is determined to support its playerbase.

Key to many critical arguments is the game's poor online performance. Even under ideal conditions, Brink's multiplayer gameplay can turn into a frustrating slideshow. Fortunately for players, Bethesda has heard their deafening outcry and is "working on updates ... to address the lag issue."

While we wait however, the company has issued a patch that fixes a number of the game's other issues. From the official Bethesda blog:

We have made a configuration change for 360 users (which will be available to the PS3, once PSN is up) that alters the number of human players when matchmaking for "Campaign" and most 'Freeplay' modes to eight total human players. This new configuration will allow those connecting to and hosting matches (particularly those with lower upstream bandwidth) to more reliably find and connect to quality hosts via the match-making process - resulting in less lag and more fun. This change is being rolled out today and will be available worldwide.

For players who haven't been experienced lag, we'll still support 8v8 on all maps via a new 'Big Teams' configuration in Freeplay, and through custom settings in Private matches. There is no download required for this update and it will be available automatically the next time you log in to play Brink and launch either campaign or standard Freeplay matches. This should allow players new to the Ark as well as veterans to find quality matches suitable to their preferred play style.

We are also releasing an incremental update for PC players via Steam that addresses AI, GPU, and server issues.

No doubt this comes as good news to those players still expecting big things from Bethesda's latest title, but I haven't even mentioned the best part yet. As something of a "thank you" note to the Brink playerbase, Bethesda has revealed plans to release the game's first downloadable content pack absolutely free. Official details have yet to be released, but Bethesda promises "additional maps and new content" will be included when the add-on is released this June.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/05/13/brink-updates-now-live-free-dlc/]

Typical Cats

May 13, 2011
Pretty cool of them to do that. I personally was confused with the mediocre reviews, the game is great. I don't think we need a thank you, but I'll take it neverless.

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
This sounds great! When I get back home, I can`t wait to rent this game and see for myself whether it`s worth the $60 or however much it is. I`ve followed this game for a while, and I`m hoping that it`s really something worth my purchase.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
WaaghPowa said:
YAY! Although I wasn't having many problems, but it's still nice!
Same here it is still good to know even right out the gate they are fixing mistakes.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Good that they're on the ball with the patches. Unusual for companies working with Bethesda "cough" New Vegas "cough".

Speaking of Brink, when will the site staff have their review up?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Good old Bethesda. I have the PC version of Brink... and it was pretty much amazing from day 1 on that.

Soviet Heavy said:
Good that they're on the ball with the patches. Unusual for companies working with Bethesda "cough" New Vegas "cough".

Haha, you missed out again, which sucks. That same patch that broke the console version of New Vegas fixed the majority of issues with the PC version. Not that I ever had a problem with it on the PC anyway. All the bugs were forgivable for me based on what good was delivered. A better platform for you is in order I think.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
I like how they're calling us 'veterans' when the game hasn't even been out for a week yet

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
I had to reinstall my drivers SO MANY TIME to get it to work with no lag. And get this, multi is smoother than solo on my PC O_O can't wait for the next patch, hopefully it will fix it's issues with ATI GPUs.

Also, hate to be that guy, but I can't help but cringe at the sight of

Earnest Cavalli said:
Bethesda Softworks' hyperactive shooter Brink may have launched to disappointing reviews
In my book, these scores http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/brink/critic-reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/brink http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/brink sound mixed, average, not "disappointing".

But yeah can't wait for the free DLC, the game is really fun!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Baresark said:
Good old Bethesda. I have the PC version of Brink... and it was pretty much amazing from day 1 on that.

Soviet Heavy said:

Haha, you missed out again, which sucks. That same patch that broke the console version of New Vegas fixed the majority of issues with the PC version. Not that I ever had a problem with it on the PC anyway. All the bugs were forgivable for me based on what good was delivered. A better platform for you is in order I think.
Well, no, I am playing NV on a PC, its just how long it took for the big fixes to come out that makes me shocked that Bethesda is actually being rather punctual at the moment.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Cool cool. The game is seriously fun, its very addicting to play, but man where there some huge flaws and poor design decisions made. Hopefully this shows they're dedicated to fixing them. The player numbers being scaled back though is silly. "We have server problems, frankly they suck. So to fix it, you wont be able to play with the base number every shooter in the world has had since 2000."

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:

Soviet Heavy said:

Well, no, I am playing NV on a PC, its just how long it took for the big fixes to come out that makes me shocked that Bethesda is actually being rather punctual at the moment.

I see, makes sense. That last one was kinda long in the waiting. But the PC version of Brink doesn't seem to have that many issues as far as I can tell. The only issues with MP I had were my idiot friends not forwarding the right IP Addys for Steam. Though, looking at their release record, I wonder how Skyrim is going to be coming out of the gate.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I have a copy sitting right next to me but I still haven't had a chance to install it, hopefully this weekend :)

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Baresark said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:

Soviet Heavy said:

I see, makes sense. That last one was kinda long in the waiting. But the PC version of Brink doesn't seem to have that many issues as far as I can tell. The only issues with MP I had were my idiot friends not forwarding the right IP Addys for Steam. Though, looking at their release record, I wonder how Skyrim is going to be coming out of the gate.
Brink PC player over here, it has HUGE issues with ATI graphic cards. Like seriously huge. It's like the major fix expected in their next patch. For so many 4xxx people the game is unplayable, and for some 5xxx you have to play around with the drivers.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Baresark said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:

Soviet Heavy said:

Well, I haven't bought Brink yet, but if the guy above me is having ATI GPU problems, I should avoid buying it until they fix it up.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Frankly I've loved the game to pieces, sure, it only unlocked last night here but I've already clocked about 9-10 hours on it and I've loved every hour. I've not had a single problem, but I'm really happy to see Splash Damage support this title, because with some more polish, this game could easily tip a 9/10, as it stands, it still tips an 8 from me.

I'm not gonna turn down or complain about free DLC, but I've enjoyed the hell out of it, I don't feel any sort of resentment towards Splash Damage that would invoke enough self entitlement to demand free DLC. Still, if they wanna give it to us, I'm all for it.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I started playing it on day 2 (360) and have yet to run into any persistent lag issues. Glad to hear they're supporting it and the free DLC is an awesome gesture. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.