Brink Patched, Free DLC Coming In June

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:
Good old Bethesda. I have the PC version of Brink... and it was pretty much amazing from day 1 on that.

Soviet Heavy said:
Good that they're on the ball with the patches. Unusual for companies working with Bethesda "cough" New Vegas "cough".

Speaking of Brink, when will the site staff have their review up?
Haha, you missed out again, which sucks. That same patch that broke the console version of New Vegas fixed the majority of issues with the PC version. Not that I ever had a problem with it on the PC anyway. All the bugs were forgivable for me based on what good was delivered. A better platform for you is in order I think.
Well, no, I am playing NV on a PC, its just how long it took for the big fixes to come out that makes me shocked that Bethesda is actually being rather punctual at the moment.

I see, makes sense. That last one was kinda long in the waiting. But the PC version of Brink doesn't seem to have that many issues as far as I can tell. The only issues with MP I had were my idiot friends not forwarding the right IP Addys for Steam. Though, looking at their release record, I wonder how Skyrim is going to be coming out of the gate.
Well, I haven't bought Brink yet, but if the guy above me is having ATI GPU problems, I should avoid buying it until they fix it up.
It depends on the series of your ATI GPU. Some have no issues at all. I fixed my problems and the game is great and addictive! I'm actually taking a break and posting before going back to the Ark :p

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
de5gravity said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:
Good old Bethesda. I have the PC version of Brink... and it was pretty much amazing from day 1 on that.

Soviet Heavy said:
Good that they're on the ball with the patches. Unusual for companies working with Bethesda "cough" New Vegas "cough".

Haha, you missed out again, which sucks. That same patch that broke the console version of New Vegas fixed the majority of issues with the PC version. Not that I ever had a problem with it on the PC anyway. All the bugs were forgivable for me based on what good was delivered. A better platform for you is in order I think.
Well, no, I am playing NV on a PC, its just how long it took for the big fixes to come out that makes me shocked that Bethesda is actually being rather punctual at the moment.

I see, makes sense. That last one was kinda long in the waiting. But the PC version of Brink doesn't seem to have that many issues as far as I can tell. The only issues with MP I had were my idiot friends not forwarding the right IP Addys for Steam. Though, looking at their release record, I wonder how Skyrim is going to be coming out of the gate.
Well, I haven't bought Brink yet, but if the guy above me is having ATI GPU problems, I should avoid buying it until they fix it up.
It depends on the series of your ATI GPU. Some have no issues at all. I fixed my problems and the game is great and addictive! I'm actually taking a break and posting before going back to the Ark :p
Well, I'm terrible with tech, so I'll be patient. The game does look like fun though.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I have been noticing the occasional lag, but really my biggest problem is still the stupid friendly AI. fix that and I will be pleased as punch. Free DLC won't hurt either.

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Grey_Focks said:
I have been noticing the occasional lag, but really my biggest problem is still the stupid friendly AI. fix that and I will be pleased as punch. Free DLC won't hurt either.
Funny, I find the AI incredibly challenging! I'm playing the campaign more because of the challenge.
But gosh I'm starting to sound like a fanboy...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
de5gravity said:
Baresark said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:

Soviet Heavy said:

Brink PC player over here, it has HUGE issues with ATI graphic cards. Like seriously huge. It's like the major fix expected in their next patch. For so many 4xxx people the game is unplayable, and for some 5xxx you have to play around with the drivers.
Now that you mention it, I did hear about that. Which totally sucks. The game is great, I am running dual 460's and my PC eats the game up, which does look great by the way. I do have two friends who play it with ATI cards though, and they don't seem to have problems.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I've been on the fence about getting Brink, but if they'll support it, I guess I'll give it a go.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Grey_Focks said:
Yeah, the AI is definitely a bit simplistic. For example, it's amazing how you can be standing in the middle of a crowd of friendly bots and be dead out of ammo because none of the soldiers there are supporting you.

At least the medics know what to do: keep you alive even if it costs them their lives. Good bots. I'll send flowers.

Still, it's a fun game, and the SMART system works better than everyone says it does as long as you don't try something crazy that gets you stuck. And most of the clunky vaults can be accomplished by just jumping as you hit them, it doesn't work wonderfully from a dead run but being a half-foot off the ground is apparently the best thing in the world.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I cannot stand to look at the people in this game, everyone in it is lanky and loose like they were built out of pipe cleaners. Thier necks are so damn long they look like that jedi dude:

The worst part of it is their stupid faces. They look like bananas or hot dogs or starfruit. God those horrible, obnoxious faces. I can't stand to look at them. Especially as their eyes are vacant looking.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
de5gravity said:
I had to reinstall my drivers SO MANY TIME to get it to work with no lag. And get this, multi is smoother than solo on my PC O_O can't wait for the next patch, hopefully it will fix it's issues with ATI GPUs.

Also, hate to be that guy, but I can't help but cringe at the sight of

Earnest Cavalli said:
Bethesda Softworks' hyperactive shooter Brink may have launched to disappointing reviews
In my book, these scores http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/brink/critic-reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/brink http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/brink sound mixed, average, not "disappointing".

But yeah can't wait for the free DLC, the game is really fun!
You're forgetting, this is the game industry; anything less than 80% is a death knell.

Hey, don't blame me, I don't like it any more than you do. That's just the way it is.

EDIT: For the sake of full disclosure, I haven't actually played Brink myself, but I do think it looks pretty cool, and I generally loathe FPS's.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
More Reason why to love Brink, Me and a few good friends had a Serious good time even with the lag. We like the game cause it Really forces Teamwork but in a good way. This news from the developers makes me happy that they will support there game and the gamers even in the very first days when it seems (to me at lease) It takes a month or 2 for ANY DLC to get released.

Go Splash Damage

[small]And Go "Security" ^_^ [/small]

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
de5gravity said:
Grey_Focks said:
Funny, I find the AI incredibly challenging! I'm playing the campaign more because of the challenge.
But gosh I'm starting to sound like a fanboy...
Oh agreed the enemy AI is surprisingly awesome, and the campaign is quite the challenge, even with a team full of humans....but it's the friendly AI that is just painfully stupid. The soldiers never bother to give me more ammo, the medics revive plenty of times, but never heal/buff, atleast when it matters, they NEVER accomplish objectives on there own, other than the occasional "Deliver X to Y", so it really ends up with you constantly having to change classes to do every single objective yourself, which itself doesn't sound too bad, but the AI also sucks at protecting you! Soooo many times I was trying to repair something, or hack something, while surrounded by allies, when one or two enemies show up and just wreck our shit. I honestly felt like half my deaths and mission fails could've been prevented with competent team-mates. Also, that one challenge that actually gives you a full team....yea, fuck the two-star level of that one. The others work nicely, since it's just you being awesome, but that one challenge relies far too much on your team, and they just can't protect you for a few seconds to...well, to save their lives.

All that being said, I still really like this game. If they keep it properly supported, which knowing bethesda, they probably will, I will be very happy.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
de5gravity said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Baresark said:

Soviet Heavy said:

Disabling shadows via the console ... I think it is .... r_shadows 0 and installing the 11.5a drivers help. My game has been running smoothly ever since, didn't notice much of a difference with the patch today. I have a 4870 by the way.

Also the AI, if you notice, they do a damn fine job on defense, always. On offense, they only bother to work together towards the end, it's apparently some sort of behavior that was coded for then, they get progressively more 'intelligent' as the timer ticks down.

Personally, I was looking for a decent game with bots with CoD weaponry (Black Ops was awful in that department), Brink is definitely that game for me, just glad I got it a little bit cheaper.

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
My only problem with this game: AI. When on defense, it works great. When attacking, they don't time their assault like a real team, barely protects key players and suffers from ADD (if you loose a command post being lost in the middle of an assault, say goodbye to at least three members of your team.)

And sometimes they act very closely to real players. I never found myself cursing ""They are camping like b******!" at bot until now.

Otherwise: WOO free DLC! And a patch!

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Say what you want about Bethesda, at least they give us DLC and extend the life of their games.

You could argue that they're only putting points into the Multiplayer, unlike with FO where they give us new story, but Brink was made I would assume to BE a multiplayer game. It's like taking Call of Duty and putting it team deathmatch style into Mirror's Edge a la Borderlands (from the shots and vids I've seen)

Sure, they may not have the best quality control out there, but at least they don't release a game and announce the sequel a month after release like SOME companies out there, or release the same game every time...like some people.

Plus they don't fuck gamers over to Market their games *coughviseralcough*