Obsidian Would Like to Make Another Alpha Protocol Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Obsidian Would Like to Make Another Alpha Protocol Game

Sometimes, you just have to be optimistic, says Obsidian.

Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart says that the studio wouldn't mind getting back into the old spy game and making another Alpha Protocol title. Urquhart feels that there are some good things in the first game, but that there is also room for improvement.

Alpha Protocol was a third-person "espionage RPG," published by Sega. It was originally scheduled to come out in October 2009, but was pushed back to May/June 2010, amidst rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95268-Sega-Confirms-Alpha-Protocol-Delay] the game was too hard and the RPG side was underdeveloped. When the game finally came out, it received very mixed reviews and sold rather poorly. Sega [url http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101891-Low-Sales-Kill-Alpha-Protocol-Sequel]confirmed[/url] in July of last year that it would not be publishing a sequel.

Urquhart said that there were things in Alpha Protocol that either needed more work, or taking back to the drawing board. He admitted that the first game's cover system hadn't been amazing, and that there had been some discussion about whether the hypothetical sequel would be better off without one, leaving the team to focus on other elements. "There were certain things we did really well," he said. "The whole story, the characters, the branching."

Urquhart seemed upbeat about the experience, however. "To do a job like this, sometimes you have to be optimistic," he said. "You have to look to the future and say 'We can do better." He also mused that some of the mixed reaction that the game received from critics was the result of a breakdown in communication. "Perhaps it was not necessarily the job we did but there was something beyond the game," he said. "How it was represented or how it was sold or what people felt we promised them. Something went off-kilter there."

Unfortunately for Urquhart, the message from reviewers seems to be pretty clear: Alpha Protocol had broken, buggy gameplay and needed more development time. If Obsidian ever gets the opportunity to make another Alpha Protocol - and hopefully it will, because even with all the bugs, there was a lot to like about the game's RPG side -it's going to need a lot more polish than the first one received.

Source: Now Gamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5876/obsidian-we-would-make-alpha-protocol-2]

Gottsmik

May 20, 2009
I really liked the game despite its faults because it tried to be something else than most games these days.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
I hope they do make another one, they just recieve a suitable level of technical and quality testing.
Because the story and characterisation was brilliant.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I really liked AP, I played on PC and didn't have any problems in three playthroughs. Two more playthroughs than ME2 got BTW.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I hope they make another one. On PC there were pretty much no problems, and AP is great fun.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Kiraxa said:
Trolldor said:
I hope they do make another one, they just recieve a suitable level of technical and quality testing.
Obsidian. Quality testing. BWAHAHAHAHAahahahhahahahaha. wait wait... BWAHAHAHAhahAHHAHAHhahaha.
As immature as that sounded, I quite agree.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Alpha Protocol was a more accomplished piece of work than Mass Effect 2.

There. I said it. Now can we please have a sequel?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Kiraxa said:
Trolldor said:
Obsidian. Quality testing. BWAHAHAHAHAahahahhahahahaha. wait wait... BWAHAHAHAhahAHHAHAHhahaha.
Is this in order?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
obsidian needs another studio "let's call it polish studios" that does nothing but quality control for their games.
but i have to say yay for AP2, i liked the game. A lot.
the worst thing i can say about it is that the forced boss fights broke the option to play stealthy and that the balance was totally off. Really guy, the pistol is more effective than an assault rifle in all out firefights?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
LiquidGrape said:
Alpha Protocol was a more accomplished piece of work than Mass Effect 2.

There. I said it. Now can we please have a sequel?
Aw, you edgy person, you. Taking an unpopular stance on video games :)

Comparisons aside, AP is the best game no one dared to try (recently that is).

The story needs to be cleaned up because there were obviously threads missing, and there weren't enough tricks to pull off when stealthing I feel. Still, even with some weaknesses here and there it's so enjoyable to play that it doesn't matter. The whole is stronger than its individual components.

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
Alpha Protocol really had me until that forced boss battle thing with the coked-up European guy. I completely built my guy for stealth and precise pistol-based wetwork. He did not do well suddenly being transported into a parallel reality where a guy can take three headshots and continue walking up to stab me with his knife. That seriously annoyed me.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Please. Please do. You deserve another chance with Alpha Protocol; It has so much wasted potential.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I'm sure another publisher would pick it up. Probably a smaller once than Sega so the budget might be less but I'm sure Obsidian could make a great game out of it.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
I also enjoyed A LOT Alpha Protocol with all its flaws. All you have to do to enjoy it is to close your eyes for errors and just focus on whats fun! :p

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Dectilon said:
It isn't an attempt to be "edgy". It's just me being a tad bitter about the fact that one rather safe roleplaying game was lauded as the second coming (which, in a way, I suppose it was), while another far more adventurous title got the finger.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me being willfully contrarian. I like Mass Effect 2. A lot, actually. Just in terms of aesthetics it's one of the very finest games out there.
Like I said, I'm just bitter about AP's utter dismissal.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Alpha Protocol had a lot of busted mechanics, but what worked was a lot of fun... unfortunately not much of it worked. I've lost a lot of faith in Obsidian as of late, so until they get their act together I'll be renting their games. A good Alpha Protocol game would go a long way to restoring that lost faith.

I certainly hope they do make another, as long as it doesn't suck... although, on the bright side, if there is a sequel it couldn't get any worse.

LiquidGrape said:
Dectilon said:
It isn't an attempt to be "edgy". It's just me being a tad bitter about the fact that one rather safe roleplaying game was lauded as the second coming (which, in a way, I suppose it was), while another far more adventurous title got the finger.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me being willfully contrarian. I like Mass Effect 2. A lot, actually. Just in terms of aesthetics it's one of the very finest games out there.
Like I said, I'm just bitter about AP's utter dismissal.
I'd just like to point that "Adventurous" does not mean good. The power glove was adventurous, and the power glove wasn't good. It was soooo bad. Saying that AP was "More accomplished" than ME2 is rather silly. You're entitled to your opinion, but ME2 was far more accomplished than AP. I dare say AP was barely accomplished at all. Accomplished is probably the worst word to use when describing AP, because that's the exact opposite of what it was. It was more... inept.

It had a lot of interesting systems, but most of them were half-assed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed AP; it was a refreshing take on the RPG in both narrative and mechanics, but you can't deny that it was a poorly made game. Saying that it's better than ME2 just doesn't make sense. You can say that you enjoyed AP more, but saying that it's "More accomplished" is just wrong.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
I loved AP. Sure, that boss fight with the knives guy was annoying, like really annoying. But the game on a whole was awesome.
The decisions really made an impact and the framed narrative worked better than in DA2.