E3: Halo Anniversary

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3: Halo Anniversary

Some games get better with age.

This year marks the tenth anniversary of one of the most influential games ever made, Halo. To celebrate, 343 Studios is releasing Halo Anniversary, which gives the classic shooter a brand new modern-day look.

Wisely recognizing that fans would riot if they messed with the original Halo too much, 343 kept the gameplay completely intact. The game runs on the original Halo engine, with the same physics, AI, and scripting that it always had. A new graphics engine runs simultaneously, giving the classic shooter an up-to-date look.

It may look brand new, but this is the same old Halo you've grown to love - flaws and all. Anything you could do in the original game, any glitch you could exploit, you can still do here. Warthog jumps, grenade tricks - you can still do them all.

The two-engine system also allows for a bit of nostalgia on the fly. You can hit a button at any time to turn off the new graphics engine and return to the old Halo look. It's a fun little time machine that really shows off just how far graphics have come in the past ten years, but you know, Halo still looks pretty good, even a decade later.

343 was hands off when it came to gameplay elements, but that doesn't mean Anniversary doesn't benefit from a bit of tweaking here and there. In areas like The Library, where everyone got lost, new textures and lighting have been added to help point the way towards the exit. Other areas have received similar modifications, and new terminals have been added that will help explain Halo's story.

The multiplayer will include 7 maps: 6 competitive multiplayer and 1 firefight map. Most are from Halo, but the rest were cherry picked from other games in the series. You can expect to find out more about the multiplayer during HaloFest, a celebration of Halo's 10-year anniversary to be held later this year at PAX.

Halo Anniversary will be released on November 15th, the exact day the original game came out oh, so long ago.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Same Glitches and stuff? Wow not many developers would do that, usually they would be fixed :O

Still sounds awesome, and about the multiplayer maps, are some taken from Halo 2 as well?

If so...Metropolis...Now.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
November is going to be a good month for my Xbox but a bad one for my wallet.

Looking forward to this.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
If I want to play the same Halo, I'll use my xbox copy...It's best for the people who didn't play the original.
This is pretty much it.
They could have included the original version on a separate disc and then an updated version as well.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Why only 7 maps?? Do they want the multiplayer experience to be as low-quality as possible? Especially when we're not even guaranteed to have our old favorite maps, but maybe some craptastic one "cherry-picked" from one of the other games.

I still play the old one for the campaign. The new one needed to bring the old-fashioned multiplayer to Live, and it's shaping up to fail at that. This worries me deeply.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Is it just me or does a mere 7 maps seem incredibly insubstantial, especially given that Halo PC was released with 19 maps? Maybe this is just the cynical side of me talking but this sounds like a very cheap ploy to sell map packs.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
If I want to play the same Halo, I'll use my xbox copy...It's best for the people who didn't play the original.
Or it's for people who want to play the original online, since you can't anymore.
This allows for long-time fans to jump online with their old favourite, and new comers to see how it all began!
I think it's a great idea, and (Provided they do it right) it'll be one I pick up!

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Gunna be fun.
JeanLuc761 said:
Is it just me or does a mere 7 maps seem incredibly insubstantial, especially given that Halo PC was released with 19 maps? Maybe this is just the cynical side of me talking but this sounds like a very cheap ploy to sell map packs.
That's fine by me. I'll be buying it for the campaign anyway, since Combat Evolved is the only Halo game I haven't played. I'm a bad fanboy :(

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Baby Tea said:
Or it's for people who want to play the original online, since you can't anymore.
This allows for long-time fans to jump online with their old favourite, and new comers to see how it all began!
I think it's a great idea, and (Provided they do it right) it'll be one I pick up!
actually the online part will be the exact same as Reach (and compatible with Reach), so it won't feel like the original Halo

Kirky

Oct 30, 2008
new_age_reject said:
This is pretty much it.
They could have included the original version on a separate disc and then an updated version as well.
They pretty much have; as the post said, you can just press a button to completely and totally remove all the alterations 343 have made to the game.

It about damn time they got around to announcing this; me and a friend have been planning to play through every Halo game together on legendary, and we wanted to wait for the remastered edition to release before we got started. We were getting kind of worried that they'd decided to give up on the idea before E3 rolled around.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Kirky said:
new_age_reject said:
This is pretty much it.

It about damn time they got around to announcing this; me and a friend have been planning to play through every Halo game together on legendary.

That sounds like a bloody brilliant idea! Halo games on legendary are just tremendous fun in co-op. One of the few game series I bother to play on the hardest setting.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Baby Tea said:
You could never play the original online on the Xbox. The PC version was the only one with online multiplayer, and that's still functional since it's server based.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
They can be downloaded onto Reach, basically it's a re-made game with a Map Pack for Reach.