EA Chief: We "Got Kotick's Goat" With Battlefield 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Chief: We "Got Kotick's Goat" With Battlefield 3

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello seems to be having a little fun with Bobby Kotick's reaction to Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308000190&sr=8-3], saying the game's performance at E3 obviously "got his goat."

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick tried to squeeze in a little undermining [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110819-E3-Kotick-Casts-Doubts-on-Battlefield-3-Console-Cred] at E3 last week, saying that he couldn't comment on how the game might compete with his Call of Duty franchise because he'd only seen it running on PC and "if it's just a PC title, as it looks like today, that's just a small audience to participate." Of course, Kotick knows full well that Battlefield 3 is coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as well as the PC and everybody knows he knows, which is probably why Riccitiello appears to be having a little fun with the situation.

"It's the beginning of the war [between Battlefield 3 and Reuters [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3-Pc/dp/B00503EAG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308000330&sr=8-3]. "The very fact that he's trying to cast doubt on our game is a perfect example of how we got his goat."

"In terms of where this goes, we think our PS3 game is better than their Xbox game and our PC game is better than their PC game," he continued. "If that's all he's got to say, it's obviously going to evaporate as we launch all three. If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage. If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he's in real trouble."

It goes without saying that, just as Kotick is obligated to get a little zingy with the upstart competition, Riccitiello has to maintain a certain level of bravado as he gets his fighter ready for the ring. Not that it's entirely without basis; the Call of Duty franchise is a monster but the pre-release coverage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110946-E3-Battlefield-3] of BF3 has so far been very positive. Maybe Bobby really does have something to worry about this time around.

via: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44852/Riccitiello-BF3-footage-got-Koticks-goat]

Apr 28, 2008
Can we please get off this "Battlefield vs Call of Duty" war? Its stupid. Both games look near-identical anyway.

Plus it'll just end hilariously badly for EA. Even if Battlefield 3 is better in every single way, Call of Duty will still destroy it in sales. With all this hype, it seems EA was more focused in making a direct CoD challenger, instead of focusing on just making a great game.

I really hope they let DICE do the latter.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I wonder how bad it will get when the games are nearing release. Fanboy war in the streets!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I loved seeing Riccitiello's interviews last week. He is so into this "clash of the titans" thing. I really don't care about either franchise all that much, but after seeing a CEO get so worked up about a video game... I think I have to cheer for an EA victory.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
DICE + EA all the way. The first knows how to make an amazing game,the second one knows how to rub it in their competitor's face

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Why do they do this? They all know that in the end, just like those that rail their games against WoW, that they will never beat them?

I am a Battlefield geek since 42 rolled out but even I am getting fed up with this guy poking a bear.

I look forward to the "well, we sold more than our previous itterations" news release after Battlefield 3 still doesn't beat CoD.

I dont play CoD much but I would rather those people stay over there so I can play with my people over here.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
And I presume he used a border collie to do so.

OT: Something about the two games competing with each to be at the top of the industry being generic FPSs feels off. I enjoy both series, but I feel like the two developers are aspiring to very little.

NJ

Feb 12, 2009
AssassinJoe said:
WAR!
UHH!
YEAH!
what is it good for?
building up a franchise!
Say it agaaain!

Anyways... I love how Riccitiello's into this, it's like we're gonna have a Uwe Boll-esque boxing match with Kotick and Riccitiello going at it for the sake of their products :3

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
EcksTeaSea said:
I wonder how bad it will get when the games are nearing release. Fanboy war in the streets!
They will have to learn the hard way that in real life, you don't get regenerating health

OT: Ah, yes, more of this pointlessness. I do hope both games are good.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I honestly though that the title was EA Chief said: Kotick's a goat. Also excited for Battlefield 3.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
connall said:
I heard a rumor, Bobby tried to get into the Battlefield 3 exhibit, but was rejected.
He asked to take a look but they turned them down. [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306431/news/bobby-kotick-wanted-to-play-battlefield-3-at-e3-ea-said-no/] Activision claims otherwise, but I'm choosing to believe they don't want to look desperate to check the game out.

Frankly I'm hoping Battlefield 3's sales at least stagger Call of Duty's a good amount, but I fully expect MW3 to sell like crazy because the majority of gamers who play that game are insanely addicted to it. It also has a far larger player-base to play off of.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
I think EA is missing the point. People don't buy CoD because it's a better game than Battlefield. They buy it because their friends will buy it, and because they bought the last one, and because it's exactly the same as the previous few games so they won't have any difficulty picking it up and understanding how to play it.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"It's the beginning of the war [between Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3-Pc/dp/B00503EAG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308000330&sr=8-3]] and [Kotick] recognizes they're going to be threatened. We're going to have a clash of the titans this fall,"
If EA truly thinks this they are in for a shock.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Irridium said:
Can we please get off this "Battlefield vs Call of Duty" war? Its stupid. Both games look near-identical anyway.

Plus it'll just end hilariously badly for EA. Even if Battlefield 3 is better in every single way, Call of Duty will still destroy it in sales. With all this hype, it seems EA was more focused in making a direct CoD challenger, instead of focusing on just making a great game.

Fact. Talking about one-upping CoD just makes them look like they're trying too hard. Just let DICE take their time, make an awesome game and let it speak for itself.

But just like you said, CoD will obliterate it in sales (along with everything else for that matter). EA and Battlefield 3 can only sell more if each new copy of the game comes with a free blowjob.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Irridium said:

This pretty much sums up my opinion.

The thing I worry about though, is what lies in Battlefield's future. If it does manage to "beat" CoD in, whose to say that Battlefield won't become the next Call of Duty.

Yearly releases, franchise milking, absurd DLC prices, nothing's to stop Battlefield going down that route.