Catherine Publisher Talks About Covering Up Game's Risque Art

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Catherine Publisher Talks About Covering Up Game's Risque Art

The game remains unchanged for its Western review, but the game's promotional art hasn't been so lucky.

Jeremy Cail, a creative designer for Atlus' US branch, has revealed some of the problems that the publisher had with Catherine's [http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Alternate-Boxart-Playstation-3/dp/B004XYN4CU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1308583102&sr=8-5] rather raunchy artwork in the American market. Back in April, it was revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109627-Western-Catherine-Box-Art-Covers-Up-the-T-A-for-Some] that the game's box art had been tweaked for certain US retailers.

"We've had ups and down from retailers about the provocative nature of the artwork," he said. "Things you'd think you were OK actually caused comment." Cail explained that while the content on the game disc is the same, Atlus had to create two different versions of the cover artwork for Catherine, as certain retailers were concerned with what their customers might think. "They wanted the change in case people got the wrong idea about the game," he said. "Or, as I see it, the right idea about Catherine!"

It wasn't just retailers that had problems with some of Catherine's artwork either; Atlus put together a promotional badge stuffer for E3 that showed off the game's two leading ladies, Catherine and Katherine, and Cail said that it took three or four attempts to get it right. What made things more difficult, he said, was that the Atlus US had to balance concerns for the US market with what the Japanese branch - which developed the game - intended for the art. He added that Atlus is well aware that its games have a niche audience, so it wanted to preserve as much of the original art as it could for those fans.

The fact that Catherine actually got a Western release in the first place is impressive, and to make it without cuts is wonderful. In an ideal world, the changes that Atlus made to the artwork wouldn't have been necessary at all, but if the game itself is unchanged then it doesn't seem that bad of a compromise.

Catherine comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 this July.

Source: The A List Daily [http://www.thealistdaily.com/news/feature-how-catherine-got-in-your-e3-badge/] via Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/atlus-talks-getting-catherine-to-cover-up/]

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
I guess its good that Atlus realizes they are a niche' market... but could you maybe print more than a hundred copies? I swear, every Atlus title becomes a damned treasure hunt to find after the first initial months.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Seriously? I find that laughable. Having a gruff looking middle aged guy pointing a sawed off shotgun at people from a poster is okay, but a hint of sexuality? Gah, offensive! Go away!

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
PS3 version is still hot, but with all the art work we have with violence sex is a problem?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Seriously? I find that laughable. Having a gruff looking middle aged guy pointing a sawed off shotgun at people from a poster is okay, but a hint of sexuality? Gah, offensive! Go away!
Welcome to the USA.

Looking forward to Catherine.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I think he said it best "in case people got the wrong idea... or as I see it, the right idea."
God forbid a game with sexually provocative content has sexually charged artwork. I really don't understand how it's considered more morally acceptable to censor the artwork than to leave it as it was. It makes way more sense for games like this to market themselves as such, then the customers know what they're getting, instead of "I didn't know I was buying an erotic horror game! They didn't signpost that well enough!"

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Zac Smith said:
But this stuff is ok?

I honestly think there is a prejudice. Catherine looking animeish and coming from Japan probably influenced a few people's decision more than they care to admit.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I wonder if they'll run into the same problems when Europe gets the game in 2016.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Tempted to get the 360 version for a K boxart.

But playing an Atlus game on an Xbox would feel...WRONG.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tempted to get the 360 version for a K boxart.

But playing an Atlus game on an Xbox would feel...WRONG.
I want that boxart too. But my 360 is 3+ years old. I'm afraid of it dying before/while I play the game. So I have to get the PS3 version for my shiny new PS3. Yeah, I don't think I have ever played an Atlus made game on a non-Sony system. My DS broke.

acsoundwave

Jul 18, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Some day America will stop being such a Hypocritical prude.....
Not "America", but Wal-Mart & K-Mart: they have to stock the game.

(captcha: ecomagination...?)

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm kind of glad... I mean, let's be real here. The original PS3 box art was her halfway through taking off her shirt with the dude trapped in her cleavage... I get that it's an M rated game but when you have something like that in a store where little kids are walking around and will no doubt see... it's just a little too much, in my opinion.

I'm pretty much the anti-"think of the children" crap, but when you had something that was that in-your-face when it really didn't need to be, it doesn't surprise me that it had to be cut down a little. And it's basically the same exact pictures except zoomed in...

And no, I don't have a problem with violent covers, either. Because they aren't actually violent. What a box is supposed to do is tell you what's in the game... I'm fine with the alternate box art for Catherine because it hints that the game will be sexual without actually coming out and shoving questionable art in the faces of parents who would complain and little kids who would giggle and question. Red Dead Redemption is fine because it shows John Marston with a shotgun, but that's it. It would have been different if it backed up and showed a freshly killed body with half a head missing.

There is a difference and if you disagree, then I want you to think of watching movies with your parents. I can bet that you'll be fine through all the violence, but the minute a sex scene shows up you'll start feeling uncomfortable.

EDIT: And by the way, if you really just want to go out and buy the sexual cover just for the sake of having it, Amazon still has the option to buy the original cover. Seriously, you guys are making such a huge deal out of this when it's really not.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
acsoundwave said:
Not "America", but Wal-Mart & K-Mart: they have to stock the game.

(captcha: ecomagination...?)
...just, no.

It's not Wal-Mart or the like. It is indeed a US thing. And one that will never cease to baffle me.
Nowhere else nudity and sexuality are regarded as less apropriate for minors than any kind of violence.

so yeah:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Some day America will stop being such a Hypocritical prude.....

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm kind of glad... I mean, let's be real here. The original PS3 box art was her halfway through taking off her shirt with the dude trapped in her cleavage... I get that it's an M rated game but when you have something like that in a store where little kids are walking around and will no doubt see... it's just a little too much, in my opinion.

I'm pretty much the anti-"think of the children" crap, but when you had something that was that in-your-face when it really didn't need to be, it doesn't surprise me that it had to be cut down a little. And it's basically the same exact pictures except zoomed in...

And no, I don't have a problem with violent covers, either. Because they aren't actually violent. What a box is supposed to do is tell you what's in the game... I'm fine with the alternate box art for Catherine because it hints that the game will be sexual without actually coming out and shoving questionable art in the faces of parents who would complain and little kids who would giggle and question. Red Dead Redemption is fine because it shows John Marston with a shotgun, but that's it. It would have been different if it backed up and showed a freshly killed body with half a head missing.

There is a difference and if you disagree, then I want you to think of watching movies with your parents. I can bet that you'll be fine through all the violence, but the minute a sex scene shows up you'll start feeling uncomfortable.

EDIT: And by the way, if you really just want to go out and buy the sexual cover just for the sake of having it, Amazon still has the option to buy the original cover. Seriously, you guys are making such a huge deal out of this when it's really not.
Because we all know, pictures with suggested sexuality damage a childrens brain, right? Right.

Your post pretty much sums up everything wrong with how sexuality is treated in america. It's something kids below 16 (or so) needn't be exposed to...or else something horriblee will happen...i guess.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
They just cropped the photo.
I don't see the big deal. If it means that a good company will earn more revenue then fine.
I do find it annoying that Wal-mart and other big box stores will not sell a game just because of the art work.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Zac Smith said:
But this stuff is ok?

I don't have much of a problem with box art being tweaked providing the game itself is left alone. However it needs to be consistent and clearly it is not.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
You wouldn't want all those children who had their parents buy them Duke Nukem Forever see some almost-partial-suggested-nudity on the cover of a Japanese game. They might all get pregnant.

In all seriousness though, they might all get pregnant. Same thing happened to my sister when she watched Sailor Moon as a kid.