10 Year Old Duke Nukem Forever Preorder Honored - With Swag!

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
10 Year Old Duke Nukem Forever Preorder Honored - With Swag!

Gearbox Software honored a fan's pre-order of Duke Nukem Forever from 2001 with a boatload of swag.

Ok, we know that Duke Nukem Forever took a long time to make. And we know that a lot of people were disappointed with the result, Mr. Russ Pitts included. But at least Gearbox was cool of enough to make good on its claims to honor any and all preorders for the game. One gamer, known as Slash000, proved that he ordered the game all the way back on August 13th, 2001, and the Houston, TX area GameStop gave him the copy he was due. Not only that, Gearbox Software got wind of Slash's commitment to the Duke, and decided to shower him with tons of swag - including the special edition and a headshot of the titular lord signed by the whole development team.

[gallery=373]

Here's the list of everything he got:

Duke Nukem Forever PC Balls of Steel Edition #10, Signed by the Development Team
Duke Nukem Headshot, Signed by the Development Team
Logitech G19 Keyboard with GamePanel LCD Screen (Supported by Duke Nukem Forever PC)
Duke Nukem Forever Titty City Pint Glass
Duke Nukem Forever Titty City Shot Glass
Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club Shot Glass
Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club Mouse Pad
Duke Nukem Forever Belt Buckle
Duke Nukem Forever "Steroids"
Duke Nukem Forever Mini-Lithographs
Duke Nukem Forever gamerART Aluminum Mouse Pad
Duke Nukem Forever Hoody
Duke Burger T-Shirt
Hail to the King! T-Shirt
Come Get Some T-Shirt
Gearbox Swag Bag

Say what you want about Randy Pitchford and Gearbox taking over the reins of the Duke from 3D Realms, at least the team had the grace and professionalism to honor the people who stuck by the game and never cancelled the pre-order.

Now if only Gearbox had made a decent game ...

Source: Gamersmint [http://www.gamersmint.com/gearbox-rewards-man-who-pre-ordered-duke-nukem-forever-10-years-ago]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever "Steroids"? Oh man, I so want that to be what is says it is.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
That's... kinda awesome. I haven't played Duke Nukem since it was 2D so I have no opinion on DNF, but I like it when fans are rewarded for their commitment.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
That's awesome. And yes, say what you will about Gearbox, but they made a business decision in picking up DNF. What better way to get lots of sales than buying a game in progress, and the butt end of the game world for never being released, polishing it off and taking in the money.

It's Duke Nukem Forever, doesn't matter if it sucks.. You know you wanna play the game that seemingly was never coming.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Well I hear the games pretty bad (will be playing it soon to find that out) however I've got to give a thumbs up to Gearbox for this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I consider Gearbox to be the Anti-Valve.

They may not be able to deliver a fantastic game consistently, but they do get things finished on time and on budget. I suspect this is why publishers keep giving them money to make games*.

Any company funding games will likely know what a develoepr can do given a set time and budget, given that Gearbox has ahd 18months to finish DN:F from whatever pile of scraps they got delivered to their door, Take Two probably had a good idea of what would come out the other end. I'll bet they just wanted the damn thing done and out so they could get some return on all that investment.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
The icing on the cake would be that the guy plays the game, sees how awful it is, gives all the stuff back and says he wants a refund. That, or he sells all of it on E-Bay, he might get a buyer for the swag, but I doubt he would get a buyer for the game.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That is really cool, nicely done by them!
And the game is not that bad. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.291283-Hypnotic-reviews-Duke-Nukem-Forever#11569732]

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Now if only Gearbox had made a decent game

Gearbox didn't make the game. The game was already 90% done when they got it. Please stop perpetuating false information.

OT: It's cool Gearbox is taking care of the things 3D Realms was to retarded to do. Hopefully now that they own the IP, they will be making a better Duke game than that 3D Realms trash.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:
You mean, if only 3D Realms had only made a decent game. Gearbox just took what they had and made it into something that 2K could sell to get some money back from 15 years of development.

GeorgW said:
That is really cool, nicely done by them!
And the game is not that bad. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.291283-Hypnotic-reviews-Duke-Nukem-Forever#11569732]
Yes you wrote a review, we get it. You don't need to link it in every single thread about the game, though.

Low Key said:
OT: It's cool Gearbox is taking care of the things 3D Realms was to retarded to do. Hopefully now that they own the IP, they will be making a better Duke game than that 3D Realms trash.
My thoughts exactly.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
gearbox is a good company to do this, and a good company in general. everyone seems pretty hard on them because of how horrible duke nukem forever came out, but its not their fault. they took the product they were given and tried to clean it up and smooth out the rough edges as much as they could in order to get it shipped out so the investors could stop wasting their money. but no matter how much you try to make shit look nice, its still shit. gearbox was fucked from the start but i dont blame them for the end result.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I'd of said a better way to honor his patience would have been to make a great game. Not that Id complain Id rather have the Duke memorabilia than the game it's self.

Sad to think the best part of DNF was the legacy of fail.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
LightningBanks said:
Greg Tito said:
I thought they only mopped up and distributed it?
They did. 3DRealms had the game about 87% or something done, last I heard, before Gearbox got hold of it. And I believe that acquisition was in early 2010.

I don't blame Gearbox for the game being what it was because they only finished coding it, but since they finished it and 2K distributed it, to some that means they are responsible for the game's poor reception and not 3DRealms.

I think that game is fine as is, with some tweaks needed in some areas, but Gearbox is not to blame for the game. Or at least majorly to blame.