PS Vita's Avatar Chat Just a Little Creepy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PS Vita's Avatar Chat Just a Little Creepy

The PlayStation Vita's facial recognition avatar chat system is pretty awesome, but it's a little creepy at the same time.

If you've ever wanted to chat with your friends as an anthropomorphic panther that mimics your every head and facial movement, you're in luck when it comes to the PS Vita. Sony has unveiled a video chat system for the new handheld that uses the Vita's front-facing camera to read your face and transfer its movements over to a virtual avatar.

It's a very cool addition to the Vita's capabilities. A demonstration video shows a man and a woman chatting with each other, one as a humanoid panther and the other as the little doll girl that stalks me in my nightmares.

The system works pretty well for a demo, showing the avatars' mouths opening and closing, heads tilting, and eyes blinking as the actual people speaking do the same. Their eyelids might go a little crazy at times, but kinks like that can be worked out. If not, freaky eyes will just be a bonus of the system.

Sony's technology looks similar to Microsoft's Avatar Kinect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106697-Microsoft-Makes-Conference-Calling-Fun-With-Avatar-Kinect] which also transfers facial movement onto a virtual avatar for the purpose of chatting. I like the two systems a lot, because sometimes you want to have a chat with someone but you don't want to put on a shirt or pants. Avatar chat takes care of that issue, and also allows you to look like a dapper feline at the same time.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/30/playstation-vita-facial-recognition-tech-demo-shows-video-chat-with-avatars/]

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This will either condition kids not to be afriad of bad dreams, or fuel the nightmares of a generation.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I used to have a soul. Then I watched this video.
I now feel lighter.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Nurb said:
This will either condition kids not to be afriad of bad dreams, or fuel the nightmares of a generation.
It will condition our children to fear cartoony characters as a whole, and bring about a new Golden Age of animation. Calling it now.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
A "little?" That's like some deranged animation from the mind of a Tim Burton who has snapped.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Meh, it's not that evil... Now if she was forever grinning, THAT would be terrifying.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
The Uncanny Valley, mates; The Uncanny valley.
That's one step creepier than a shambling corpse.
A corpse that talks.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Her eyes! WHY DON'T THEY BLINK TOGETHER??

Stop doing that you demon girl! Shoot her with a silver bullet! Put a stake through her heart! Throw a bucket of water on her!

Michelle Weiss

Jan 5, 2011
don't like dolls (blame the fire breathing ones from Alice Madness Returns)
But that doll's even more creepy
Wouldn't mind the leopard tho
NEEDS MORE NYAN!!!!!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
why do I get the feeling that feature will be cut for being a stupid idea at the final launch

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Her eyes! WHY DON'T THEY BLINK TOGETHER??

Stop doing that you demon girl! Shoot her with a silver bullet! Put a stake through her heart! Throw a bucket of water on her!
You do that, Van Helsing, I'll be hiding in a closet somewhere, cowering in terror like Daniel from Amnesia.

On Topic: Actually, the tech looks neat. The creepy kid... not so much.

About that kid, again: My immediate reaction.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
By the looks of it the avatars are having a hard time recognizing if their eyes are open or not...I'm totally not being racist.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Maybe Sony could just not do the eye detection. It sounds rather hard to program, considering how small eyes are.