PS Vita's Avatar Chat Just a Little Creepy

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I can't tell if this kind of technology makes people more social or less social with the whole vid chat but not with the real you...

Imagine these threads with your avatar talking with your voice... on second thought, never mind.

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
Well I like the idea, if they worked on the facial capture so there isn't random one eye blinking, it'd be cool to have conversations as characters. I can imagine being Jak talking to a mate pretending to be ratchet, and talk about who's game's better xD
Srs guys, what's wrong with new ideas?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I can just see it now, corporate and government spies over the world will carry Vitas to communicate with each other and clients without revealing their identities using anime characters and animals.

This needs to get into a Johnny English movie now!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Worgen said:
why do I get the feeling that feature will be cut for being a stupid idea at the final launch
We can only hope. There's already a great invention for when you want to chat but don't feel like dressing up for a camera: voice only chat. The camera does nothing and it's just you, a mic, speakers, and someone else on the other end with the same.

Why they feel the need to introduce creepy as fuck avatars into the equation, I have no idea.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eaarg! Sweet Jebus, what is that?!

There is only one rational response...

I mean, the doll would be pretty creepy all on its own. The addition of flapping mouths and independantly moving eyes does not help.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
That doll was so creepy. I'd rather talk with someone face-to-face over a webcam and skip the whole creepy avatar talking thing.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
I think what most ppl are wandering is whether the cross game voie chat will be ported to the ps3, at least i am anyway

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
ITS EATING MY SOUL!!!!!!!

-cough-
I mean it looks really, really, really creepy.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I wonder if it'll be possible to make your own models and import them into that software... I'd so make a cthulhu face. Or perhaps a melting face or something.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Sony, Microsoft's on the phone, ranting something about proprietary tech and whatnot.

It would be scarier if they combined it with this:

an animated CG girl was created by mapping the faces of and capturing facial features of several girls. What if the ending result was added to the PSV's avatar chat?

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Oh dear me, just looking freezed Youtube screen gave me chills. Watching the video was something way...WAY worse.

airrazor7 said:
It would be scarier if they combined it with this:

an animated CG girl was created by mapping the faces of and capturing facial features of several girls. What if the ending result was added to the PSV's avatar chat?

Geez, that chick kept getting creepier 'til the end (the one they were "building").

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hey Sony...that's neat and all but how about you forego this little trip into the uncanny valley and instead do something else like...I dunno...give every last PSV game trophies? Please? Please don't unleash that monstrosity upon the unsuspecting public!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Damn that doll is creepy!
It might actually be pretty cool if used in game, you could actually be in the cutscenes. But this use seems pretty gimmicky.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Welcome to Uncanny Valley! Population: . . . do we count robots and virtual images as people?