PS Vita's Avatar Chat Just a Little Creepy

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Those creatures...they are affronts to God and human decency. Not even Lovecraft himself could dream up a horror so vile, so tantalizingly close to human, and so horribly horribly wrong.

To save you several pages of swearing and screaming: Do not want.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
The bigger question, outside all of this creepyness (really? what a bunch of babies) and uncanny valley stuff, is: does anyone actually ever use video chat? Maybe once as a novelty? I bet NO ONE with an iPhone 4 or any other device ever uses video chat/calling outside of right after they got their phone.

iDerp

uHerp
Mar 8, 2011
This could be a lot of fun if users will be able to make their own avatars. Voice augmentation needs to be added. I will need to find someone willing and able to make me a Geoff Peterson avatar and voice.

Balls

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Hasn't this stuff been out for ages? My Logitech webcam came bundled with it, I think.

Viper50BMG

Jan 27, 2011
Sober Thal said:
But neither of them are looking up?!?!?

I say fail, but in a cute way.
Actually, I think they're holding the PS Vita offscreen low, and a separate camera is filming them from straight on. The idea is that you'd have an anonymous avatar (terrifying nightmare fodder as it might be), synched to your facial/head movements through the PS Vita, so it makes sense that you can't or wouldn't get the video data from the actual camera doing the facial mapping. The video of the users that we're shown is, essentially, completely independent of the terrifying puppet faces.

Now, I bet you actually save a fair bit on bandwidth, only sending animation instructions and audio, rather than full motion streaming video.

What I wouldn't mind seeing (on Vita, Kinect, PS Eyetoy/Move, or PC Webcam) is this sort of camera to facial animation tech being used to animate avatars in online games; sure it might just be a gimmick, but being able to talk to others in, say a game of Battlefield, and having the faces animate appropriately, with rudimentary lip-synch, or being able to actually nod to a friend in a co-op game of Rainbow Six: New Vegas 12 or Call of Honor 9 to signal when to enter and clear a room. That's a nifty improvement that I personally think would be pretty nifty.

Heck, why stop there if you can do head tracking with that level of reliability; incorporate TrackIR-type head tracking into FPS's (keep it subtle, but that added bit of visual freedom is incredibly helpful (just ask anyone playing ARMA), racing games, flying games, etc. Personally, I'd go for the ability to glance around my environment over 3D displays and glasses any day, but that could just be me.

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Bah, my mind has synthesized much worse. I was actually laughing a bit at how terrible it is, though.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Michelle Weiss said:
don't like dolls (blame the fire breathing ones from Alice Madness Returns)
But that doll's even more creepy
That whole level was creepy as hell. I felt a certain amount of dread going through it. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Looks like Kojima just found his next fourth-wall breaking Codec screen. They could possibly implement this to make you have a conversation with Otacon I bet.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
This seems like a rather pointless invention. Either just broadcast your actual face or use a still picture stand-in. I really don't see the appeal in talking to a doll or a furry instead of a human being.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I like the idea. Just make sure that you don't befriend dolls and furries if it creeps you out so much.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I'm having nightmares tonight. God, that is the creepiest thing I've seen in a while. I can't imagine anyone actually using that...

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
This is really no different
airrazor7 said:
Sony, Microsoft's on the phone, ranting something about proprietary tech and whatnot.

It would be scarier if they combined it with this:

an animated CG girl was created by mapping the faces of and capturing facial features of several girls. What if the ending result was added to the PSV's avatar chat?

Logitech's on the other line, ready to dispute that with Microsoft.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Why not just have static eyes, that blink occasionally, independent of the face recognition system? 1 to 1 "live blinking" does NOT seem like that big of a deal to me.