Valve Unveils Long-Awaited Steam Improvements

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Unveils Long-Awaited Steam Improvements

Valve is making some significant changes to Steam that will mean faster downloads and seriously streamlined updates.

I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't like Steam. The sales are great but for those of us whose internet connections are just a couple of steps above yelling and throwing things, the downloading and updating process is absolutely torturous. But some recent updates to the system, which provide more bandwidth and eliminates the need to download whole, huge files as part of game updates, promises to take all that pain away.

"The maximum aggregate bandwidth of the system will be greater than the current system; this will help us satisfy spikes in demand when there's a big release," Valve said in a news release on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/]. "We will also be able to send content from more places, to better serve people all around the globe. All the content on the new system is sent via HTTP; this is more firewall-friendly than the current system, and will automatically take advantage of web-caching proxies installed at ISPs."

"Another way that the new content system improves the bandwidth picture is by requiring each user to download less data," the statement explains. "With the Steam content system that's been in place for a few years now, if an individual file on disk were modified by a game update, your client had to download the whole file. That can be painful when the file in question is really large. The new system supports delivering only the differences between the old and new files, meaning game updates will be much smaller overall."

And that's not all! The new system will allow for other refinements as well, including the long-awaited download scheduling, bandwidth throttling and update prioritization; we'll also finally be able to update a game while we're playing it, with the update applied after the game session is over. Currently only a limited selection of content is available via the new system but Valve said it will increase that amount "over time." That's some very good news indeed for Steam users stuck with crappy internet connections.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Wait... does this mean I'll actually be able to download more then one hundred megabytes a day. I think I'll die of shock..

More seriously though, this is incredibly good to hear. Faster downloads and workable updates for everyone.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Why could you not have said this a week ago. Before I hato download Shogun 2 three times!? (which took 8 hours each time)

Ah well, good news is still good news :3

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So does this mean that when the next CoD is released I can actually play my damn games?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
It's beyond a joke that it took them this long to implement some of the basic features that other clients offer.. Are you starting to feel the pressure Valve?

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Yes. This is good. Very good.

Faster downloads mean more fun for me! :D

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Screw Steam improvements...how about Valve unveils the ACTUALLY long awaited Half-life episode 3? I don't recall sitting around awaiting Steam enhancements...

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
They should do another massive sale to test this system out. Right? RIGHT!?!

Still, always nice to see the system getting updates. I thought it ran rather nice already.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Fursnake said:
Screw Steam improvements...how about Valve unveils the ACTUALLY long awaited Half-life episode 3? I don't recall sitting around awaiting Steam enhancements...
Of course, anytime any kind of news related to Valve comes up, Episode 3 must be mentioned.
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Valve fans want Episode 3.

mad825 said:
It's beyond a joke that it took them this long to implement some of the basic features that other clients offer.. Are you starting to feel the pressure Valve?
Pressure? Valve? Steam?

I see what you did there.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Scizophrenic Llama said:
They should do another massive sale to test this system out. Right? RIGHT!?!
I'd agree to that.

But on topic, games and updates downloading whilst you're playing the games?

THIS IS GLORIOUS!!!

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I love Steam, and this just makes it better. Steam sure knows how to make it's customers happy. They are one company that seems to pay attention when people ***** about something. I doubt EA's Origin will be like that, given how EA is in general.

Nuclear_Suspect

Jun 1, 2010
Neato! The whole 'Update a game even if you're playing it' is most welcome, it should also help dedicated servers to do away with their downtime when downloading/patching.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm, people have problems with that? I mean, yeah i have no insane broadband... but when i am using steam i pretty much have always FULL download. (About 600 kb/s).

Do you guys really need more, or is it just that they have better servers/fewer customers here in europe?.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Apologies to all for not making the obligatory "where is Episode 3" comment.

WHERE IS EPISODE 3 DAMMIT?

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Heh, I started reading "Valve Unveils Long-Awaited ....."
OH MY god. Is the long waiting over ????????
I continued reading and was bitterly disappointed :-(