Valve Unveils Long-Awaited Steam Improvements

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Yay, just before my new computer gets here. I am going to literally have to download 200gb of games onto it.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
Well, good. I just wish they would make the Steam application itself more responsive now. Even on my pretty decent system, pages in the store and the update news feed seems sluggish to scroll though somehow, and none of my other applications are like that. The steam website is faster when viewed by other browsers (even Firefox).

rainbowunicorns

May 18, 2009
KingsGambit said:
So........a patch then? Wow, that's new! *rolls eyes*

On topic, never had a problem with Steam downloads here...but then I have a 50Mbps connection so... :-D Steam and Microsoft's web site are the only two places I've ever maxed out my connection (just over 4 megabytes per second). At good times, I can get an entire 5-7gig game off steam in about 20 minutes or less.

EDIT: If the HTTP thing is true, then YAAAAY! Finally can get steam to work at my workplace through the firewall.
Regarding patching: I believe that what they mean is that if the developer releases a "patch" that is a revised version of a massive resources file, Steam will do a DIFF of the current resources file and the new one, and then send your client the differences and instructions on how to patch, instead of the whole file. Assuming this is the case, it's good that Steam is handling the case of a stupid developer.

Your work will probably just block the Steam content, if they were intentionally blocking steam's old protocol.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Finally, a download scheduler!

That's been my one major gripe with Steam for the past two years...

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
"we'll also finally be able to update a game while we're playing it"
About time! Hate it so much that I can't play one game and download another one at the same time <.<

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, my only real complaint with Steam is that when they have a truly epic sale on, for example the summer or Xmas/January sales, around 6pm each day it becomes impossible to start games, browse the store or really do anything as they're hammered by millions of people viewing the store at once.

Perhaps, as it's a worldwide thing, update it in sections, do the US at their midnight, then choose a time zone to do europe at midnight by, split the massive rush a little.

Hopefully these improvements might help ease that burden too!

I'm also totally in favour of not being forced to update before playing, unless of course it's a multiplayer only game that needs it, I imagine a box will pop up to explain that, when an update is needed to play online, it'll update before letting you play rather than letting you start the game, then not be able to do anything, quit out then get the update.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
If they can only make pricing fair.... 1 Euro does NOT equal 1$. And since the average wage in my country is 250 Euros, steam is only being used for the free game (TF2).

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
No more leaving my computer running overnight to install a game? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Just another reason to love Steam. Except for you heathens that don't love it. HEATHENS.

I can understand, Steam isn't perfect, and if you don't have a particularly good connection speed it can be problematic. For instance, during the summer sale I bought Fallout New Vegas. I just installed it two days ago. I had to work, so before I left I started the download, went to work a double shift (10 AM to 9 PM) and when I came back it still wasn't done. It took a full 14 hours to finish. I'm just thankful I don't install new games that often. It's not all bad, I can download most indie games pretty quick. Amnesia only took about 40 minutes, and Frozen Synapse took 8.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
I might actually like this. At present, I can't get any Steam games because state law has my computer convinced that Steam is online gambling and is considered illegal.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
BTW, it looks like there's going to be another ARG centered around TF2. Rockets have crashed in some of the maps. HL:EP2. Rocket. OBVIOUSLY EP 3 IS COMING OUT

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't like Steam. The sales are great but for those of us whose internet connections are just a couple of steps above yelling and throwing things, the downloading and updating process is absolutely torturous.
Mind explaining why you don't like Steam? Auto updating keeps the online community from patching splits (unpatched vs patched) It has a great friendlist that consolidates all your games together. Game doesn't have a friendlist? Steam's got you.

I have a cellphone connection, it tops at about 180kbs, so I feel the pain when I have to download a 1gig patch, but its a small price to pay for consistency. Also gets rid of all CDs and boxes. Plus preloading before release date is the best thing since preorders.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
The only thing I care about is not having to tab out of a game in order to resume downloads.
Stupid auto-pause is stupid.

Especially if I'm playing a single player game. I mean wtf. If the game functions exactly the same in offline mode, why does it freeze my downloads?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
I still hate Steam for butchering me $20+ on prices when the exchange rate means it should be CHEAPER. I always have and always will despise Valve and am glad I haven't bought a single product they have developed (barring L4D but they bought out the game pretty much).

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
That's awesome! Maybe I'll actually be able to play Skyrim on 11/11/11 now!
Protip with Elder Scrolls games: Buy retail. Modding is easier this way, and you don't have to download 12 gigs of data at 150 kb/s.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I may have to let my computer run over night to complete the 10 hour process of downloading a modern game but with my inability to get to a store on a regular basis its still better then nothing. Here's hoping this will somehow reduce the stuff I need to download overall but I don't think its going to make full games any quicker to get.

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
OverweightWhale said:
Can they fix the play offline option too? Sometimes my internet goes down and for some odd reason you need to be connected to the internet to play offline. Go figure...
It's a form of DRM,
Just be glad it isn't handled by Ubisoft.