Valve Unveils Long-Awaited Steam Improvements

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wait, didnt steam already had pretty much unlimited download speed? i dont use it but when cousin was visiting he wanted to download a game because his internet is worse than donkey on drugs so he installed steam and downloaded a 8gb game at 2700kb/s with no delays whatsoever and put it into his flash drive.
If im wrong then steam is doing something that should be already default thing in such business? i dont see "good news" other than "steam sucks a bit less"

P.S. capcha tells me to rate blackberry? this anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Well I usually get a good 1MB/s out of steam so i'm never to upset with install times.

Well except when they have a crazy sale then its like half that.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
And this, my friends, is why I love Valve, and why Steam is the only digital distribution client I actually use for any of my media... Valve are awesome :D

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Wow over the past week and half I was able to download 6 games that added up to about 10-12Gbytes I just wonder how fast it will be after this update

Jul 9, 2008
Arehexes said:
OverweightWhale said:
Can they fix the play offline option too? Sometimes my internet goes down and for some odd reason you need to be connected to the internet to play offline. Go figure...
This because I have the oddest problems with that.
Yeah, I've looked it up. Apparently, for it to work, you have to jump through a few hoops with your internet settings BEFORE your internet goes down. And they don't tell you that anywhere except where you would look AFTER your internet goes down (the help page). It's really stupid, my network adaptor just broke and I have temporarily lost ALL my games because of it.
TheKwertyeweyoppe said:
OverweightWhale said:
Can they fix the play offline option too? Sometimes my internet goes down and for some odd reason you need to be connected to the internet to play offline. Go figure...
It's a form of DRM,
Just be glad it isn't handled by Ubisoft.
Nah, not DRM, just stupid planning. See above.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well these features should have been there a long time ago, but I imagine their first priority was to establish a stable system when the masses rolled in.

And can we suggest an update that can play future EA games :p

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Arehexes said:
OverweightWhale said:
Yeah, I've looked it up. Apparently, for it to work, you have to jump through a few hoops with your internet settings BEFORE your internet goes down. And they don't tell you that anywhere except where you would look AFTER your internet goes down (the help page). It's really stupid, my network adaptor just broke and I have temporarily lost ALL my games because of it.
TheKwertyeweyoppe said:
OverweightWhale said:
It's a form of DRM,
Is that the internet options in the steam settings?

Jul 9, 2008
Arehexes said:
Arehexes said:
OverweightWhale said:
TheKwertyeweyoppe said:
OverweightWhale said:
It's a form of DRM,
Is that the internet options in the steam settings?
I actually don't remember exactly, just go on Steam and look for the support page, then the page about Offline Mode

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
My download peaked at about 11mb/s and well, frankly that's more than I thought I could manage on my network so I can't go faster.
Even if they limited their speed to 1mb/s it is still pretty fast, so I can't see the point of complaining. Are these complaints actually from those who don't have good internet and figures that blaming Steam is cheaper than upgrading their connection? Or from those who have really great connections?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Ah, but does offline mode now work offline again, that is the question. Because it didn't used to. And that little fact, offline mode NOT in fact working offline, was INFURIATING.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yopaz said:
My download peaked at about 11mb/s and well, frankly that's more than I thought I could manage on my network so I can't go faster.
Even if they limited their speed to 1mb/s it is still pretty fast, so I can't see the point of complaining. Are these complaints actually from those who don't have good internet and figures that blaming Steam is cheaper than upgrading their connection? Or from those who have really great connections?
I would hope nobody's honestly expecting Steam to download updates faster than their connection's maximum speed. Me, I'm on a fairly slow connection (by cable standards at least; it's roughly the same speed as DSL) and Steam has a tendency to suspend my downloads for up to an hour at a time if there's a big sale or a major Team Fortress 2 update going on. So hopefully these changes will address stuff like that.