BioWare Wants to Make Mass Effect 3 "Seamless"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Wants to Make Mass Effect 3 "Seamless"

In order to make Mass Effect 3 as immersive as possible, BioWare has tweaked and tuned the game's engine.

The Mass Effect games have some pretty awe-inspiring cinematic moments, like the Reaper attack on the Citadel in the first game, or the destruction of the Normandy in the second. Mass Effect 3 isn't going to be any different, but BioWare says that it wants to make blur the lines between cinematic and gameplay, and make the whole game as seamless as possible.

BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman, said that having clearly defined action and conversation sections was detrimental to the game's feeling of immersion, and what BioWare wanted was for everything to feel more organic. The studio, he said, had taken advantage of recent updates to the Unreal Engine, as well as adding its own "special sauce" to the mix, so that there was a much less obvious delineation between the various parts of the game.

"The Mass Effect 3 engine's based on Unreal but we definitely have made some significant upgrades in terms of the cinematic system has been fully improved," he said. "[The] mechanics have been altered. We've done some things to make the sound pop a little bit more, [and] the graphics have obviously been improved."

A developer working towards making its game more immersive is always good news, but it's especially welcome in RPGs, where players tend to spend a lot longer exploring the world and its meeting its various peoples. This, combined with the deeper RPG elements that BioWare is re-introducing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111869-BioWare-Shows-Off-Skills-Trees-and-Weapon-Mods-for-Mass-Effect-3] into the series, sounds like it could make for a pretty stellar game.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312980/mass-effect-3-engine-gets-improved-cinematics-sound/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
God! Shut up about Mass Effect 3 already!

What is this, the third piece of Mass Effect 3 related news this week? It's not even news, they're just empty statements meant to remind us that it's coming and reassuring us that it's gonna be good (as if we could possibly forget that the sequel to one of the most praised and popular games of the last few years is less than half a year away). If this is going to keep up until the game is released, I'm gonna be sick of it before I've even played it.

Dec 14, 2009
Seamless you say? Would you say another word for making something 'seamless' is to 'streamline' the experience.

RPG purists will commence unbridled hatred in 3-2-1...

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
the irony is that this will require longer loading times.(I dunno, but that would be funny as all hell)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
omgthiswillsoruintheseriesiwillneverbuyabiowaregameagainwtfomgomgomglolololol111111!!!!!11111

i just want to be able to walk around while having a conversation order sip on drink when in a bar (unless the barkeep is batarian). plz bioware? you can even add 50% more chest high walls if you do that and i will still be happy.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I just hope that 'blending' doesn't equate to quick time events.

Littaly said:

What is this, the third piece of Mass Effect 3 related news this week? It's not even news, they're just empty statements meant to remind us that it's coming and reassuring us that it's gonna be good (as if we could possibly forget that the sequel to one of the most praised and popular games of the last few years is less than half a year away). If this is going to keep up until the game is released, I'm gonna be sick of it before I've even played it.
If you don't like it, don't read it. Is it really so unpleasant to see the words 'Mass Effect 3' in a link you can choose not to click? My heart goes out to you.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Littaly said:

You could always just not click the thread.

It's a popular game and people want to hear about it.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
i just hope that they don't refer to "elevators" as being a seamless experience between loading times. ahhhhhhh elevators

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Littaly said:

This. Most of these ME 'news' threads popping up lately are just pointless and like you said, empty.
If it had the same fanbase, we probably would've gotten about ten different articles on specific new weapons and abilities in Deus Ex HR.

While I obviously can't speak for the fans, all this stuff about hardcore immersion in RPG's is entirely lost on me.
I'd rather hear more about how they're totally not stripping it down to Gears of War in space.

Hint-hint?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Littaly said:

I AM ANGRY AND LOUD, HEAR ME BECAUSE I HAVE AN OPINION.

The captcha is smarter than you. It said "tastes like chicken". Wise words indeed.

Ridgemo

Feb 2, 2010
It's not the transition that will ruin immersion in this game, more shouting out the conversation line that you want Shepard to say then listening to the line again.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Seamless you say? Would you say another word for making something 'seamless' is to 'streamline' the experience.

RPG purists will commence unbridled hatred in 3-2-1...
Wow, at this point I find the people baiting or complaining about the purists more annoying than the purists themselves. :p
OP: Good. Conversation switching to action could be a bit jarring in 2.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Bioware's PR company in overdrive - nothing to get upset about, just their PR company doing their job and getting as many virtual column inches as possible.

Hopefully doesn't mean QTEs but I'd be surprised if it did.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Abedeus said:
Littaly said:

I AM ANGRY AND LOUD, HEAR ME BECAUSE I HAVE AN OPINION.

OT: Please let this be in reference to the loading times. If they have to be as long at least render the entire Normandy in one go - its not that big.