BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Brings Shepard's Story to a Close

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Brings Shepard's Story to a Close

If you've got anything you want to say to Commander Shepard, you'd better say it in Mass Effect 3.

Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FYEZMQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d3_g63_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0GAAF58SNT3CNGW7KDFZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] isn't the end of the Mass Effect series, but it is the end of Commander Shepard's role in it. BioWare's Mike Gamble says that although the studio has some "ambitious plans" for the series in the future, none of them involves the Normandy's commander.

Speaking at Gamescom, Ray Muzyka explained how BioWare viewed the latest Mass Effect game. "Mass Effect 3 is simultaneously a couple of different things," Gamble said. "A thrilling and epic conclusion to the trilogy as we promised our fans we'd provide for Commander Shepard, but it's also ... an entry point for new fans and ... a brand new beginning."

"After this, Commander Shepard's story is complete," producer Mike Gamble added.

The Mass Effect games were originally envisioned as a trilogy, so it's no surprise that Shepard's story ends with Mass Effect 3. That's not really a bad thing though; once you've saved the galaxy from malevolent giant robots from space, it's hard to think of a way to top that. It's not like there isn't plenty of material for a new game either; the in-game codex is packed with details about different people and places. It's a universe filled with mercenaries, assassins, criminals and more, and there's plenty of scope to do something different.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/28/bioware-with-mass-effect-3-commander-shepards-story-is-complete/]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn...I smell MMO. I could be mistaken though since KotOR smelled like MMO too.

Considering Bioware's new 'philosophy' though, the next Mass Effect may be a straight-up FPS (with conversations and RPG elements hopefully). I'm hoping the next series or, ME game will allow me to play as a species other than human. I can understand not being an Elcor, Yahg or, Hanar but I want to try my hand as a Krogan or, a Turian.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
This pretty much sums up why I feel the "Shepard loses" ending would be the best one. Because for two whole games we've been seeing this man as what is pretty much space Jesus in the eyes of all the in game characters (Much like how Gordon Freeman is beard Jesus in the Half-Life series),to see him fall and have the universe suffer would create some form of closure,and end with something better than "Shepard punched alien Hitler in the face".
Sometimes,a sad ending is the best ending.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Well the Mass Effect universe is so diverse and exciting, it would be a shame to file it away after the end of ME3. I can see a bright future ahead for it as long it doesn't follow in suite with CoD and Halo.

Also: spin-off where we play as Garrus anyone?

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
WTB a ME3 ending where Shepard sacrifices herself to stop the Reapers. That was the best ending in DA too.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
MercurySteam said:
Also: spin-off where we play as Garrus anyone?
A thrilling DLC where you play Garrus as a C-Sec Agent and then a mercenary. Following the storyline of Mass Effect 1 & 2 respectively.

OT: Interesting. Yeah it'll be fun. That is until someone starts to replace letters with numbers, then you know something is wrong. Like Mass 3ffect, M4ss Effect and Mas5 Effect. C:

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I predict that this comment thread will be very friendly and contain nothing but insightful observations, reasoned opinions and warm fuzzy feelings.

Oh, right, the actual topic. Eh, so long as they get ME3 out the door I'll be happy. If they put together a spin-off or some such then I'll look into it, but I'll hardly be waiting with bated breath.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I think this is the best possible way to end things. Let Shepherd die defeating the reapers, become an ambassador to them (basically saren),... Give him closure and all will be well. Just don't pull an "is he dead or not?" stunt like the halo series did, eh?

Next steps? Expanded universe, baby! Mass Effect is now a complete series, but the universe itself is every bit as capable as star wars of holding one-off adventures and (not necessarily Bioware-driven) side stories. Keep the mass effect story intact - but by all means give us more mass effect universe, ok?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Can't say I'm overly excited about the prospect of more games after three.

I was hopin for a nice tidy trilogy and that was it.

I suppose if they handle the games well I'd be willing to eat my words, but right now I'm looking forwar to ME3 and that's it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
As obvious as this news is... I'm really gonna miss my 4 Shepard's (MShep, FShep, InsanityShep and BetrayalShep)

Wonder what the DLC will be like?

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
They've been saying this since the day they started talking about Mass Effect 3. It's weird for it to be news, now.

Anyway, I very much look forward to whatever is to come afterward. Maybe we can finally get improved character creation, now that there won't be the need to support imports from previous games.

Lattyware

Jun 15, 2011
You say this is obvious, but it looks like Microsoft/343 Studios are going to pull MC back into Halo 4, which I think is terrible. The story to Halo is excellent, and it doesn't need dragging out like that - there is a huge, rich universe - just as much as with Mass Effect - which is impressive given Halo's not an RPG like Mass Effect. I wished Halo 4 has been something completely different in the Halo universe - that would have been far more interesting, and would have left the original trilogy's plot where it stood - which was great, it ended well.

Hopefully BioWare will play this right and treat both the universe and shepard's story right.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
If they make a Mass Effect MMO (which seems all the more likely at this stags reading between the lines of what they're saying) I think it would be the only MMO I'd ever consider playing. I want to play as a Geth Goddammit!

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
10 bucks says any entries in the ME franchise past ME 3 completely drops the RPG aspects in order to "maximize accessibility" and is made by other game studios ala COD. Quantity before quality after all!

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
In other news, water is wet.

MercurySteam said:
spin-off where we play as Garrus anyone?
I admit I squealed a little on the inside, then a second later I realized it would most likely end up being terrible.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn...I smell MMO. I could be mistaken though since KotOR smelled like MMO too.

Considering Bioware's new 'philosophy' though, the next Mass Effect may be a straight-up FPS (with conversations and RPG elements hopefully). I'm hoping the next series or, ME game will allow me to play as a species other than human. I can understand not being an Elcor, Yahg or, Hanar but I want to try my hand as a Krogan or, a Turian.
I'd support that. I always thought my first Shepard had more in common with the krogan than with most humans.