Rockstar: Make Good Games and the Money Will Follow

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rockstar: Make Good Games and the Money Will Follow

Rockstar's philosophy is to concentrate on creativity and let the income flow from there.

Dan and Sam Houser founded Rockstar in New York City in 1998 and after arguably creating new genre of open-world style games with Grand Theft Auto III in 2001, the company quickly became a household name. The Housers rarely speak to the gaming press in the U.S., so it is doubly interesting when one of them gives an interview to discuss the philosophy that has allowed Rockstar to expand to ten different studios all over the world. Dan Houser spoke with Japanese magazine Famitsu about his start in the game business, what Rockstar does well, and why they are not making a military FPS any time soon.

"I'm going to be 38 years old soon, but people my age, the first games we played were the likes of Pac-Man and Space Invaders. I was particularly addicted to Space Invaders and Galaxian," he said of the first games he played.

Why has Rockstar been so successful? "We didn't rely on testimonials in a business textbook to do what we've done," he said. "I think we succeeded precisely because we didn't concentrate on profit. The focus of my effort has been to make good games first and let the results come naturally after that. If we make the sort of games we want to play, then we believe people are going to buy them."

The rest of Western game publishing is fixated on first person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty, but that's a genre Rockstar has so far avoided. "We're deliberately avoiding that right now," Houser said. "It's in our DNA to avoid doing what other companies are doing.

"I suppose you could say that Max Payne 3 is something close to an FPS, but there are really unique aspects to the setting and gameplay there, too, not just in the story. You have to have originality in your games; you have to have some kind of interesting message. You could say that the goal of Rockstar is to have the players really feel what we're trying to do."

Rockstar's success rate has been pretty good the last ten years so Houser must be doing something right. Max Payne 3 may be a departure from the noir aesthetic of the series, and L.A. Noire wasn't the knockout I expected, but in general I know that I can expect a quality title from every game bearing the Rockstar logo.

Source: Famitsu via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/rockstar-dan-houser-big-japan]

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
At lease Rockstar has the right idea, lets hope they follow through with Max Payne 3.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
They have been kinda meh since San Andreas, but all that says to me is they are due for another spectacular game, so as long as they stick to that philosophy I'll buy their games

Edit: When I say "meh" I mean I thought some games were terrible, and others great, I did not mean they were all average at best

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I approve of this message. Let all game companies make games worth buying and we gamers will buy them. I can understand the corporate side of it (no money=no games), but I think making quality games should be priority one. Priority two should be making the money to make the quality games.

Aug 31, 2011
Yeaaah, except I skipped buying LA Noire, and I won't be buying GTA V. They've gone into "realism" and that's not what I play games for. I have, however, ordered Saints Row 3. Rockstar seems to have forgotten that the intent of the game is to be fun and engaging for the gamer. You can have the next best thing to Shakespeare, but that won't make it a great game.

GTA IV was the game that got me to buy a PS3, but I didn't even finish it until the PSN went down earlier this year. I loved San Andreas. So even though I recognize that GTA IV had better mechanics, and a lot of interesting side bits (such as tv, internet and radio DJs/talk shows), the main storyline left me bored and unamused. I played GTA to insert *myself* into an unrealistic world, and not to learn about a character's semi-realistic world. I spent the latter half of the game skipping every single cut-scene (of which there were many). Even Red Dead Redemption didn't get huge love from me until the Undead Nightmare pack (and not because of the introduction of zombies, but because of how ridiculous and over-the-top it was).

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Not true. Make a good game that has broad appeal and the money will follow. Persona 4 and Shadow of the Colossus are examples of good games that didn't have broad appeal and they made meager profits.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Abedeus said:
"And also fuck the original platform that made your games known."
I have a lot of time for Rockstar I think I've bought every game of theirs since the first GTA (with the exception of the Tabe tennis One)

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Furioso said:
They have been kinda meh since San Andreas, but all that says to me is they are due for another spectacular game, so as long as they stick to that philosophy I'll buy their games
-Grand Theft Auto IV
-Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned
-Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony
-Red Dead Redemption
-Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
-The Warriors
-Bully
-Manhunts
-Midnight Club Series

All just "meh" games? Those are games that they developed, not published. That list is much larger. I'd say that they're doing better than "meh". While most aren't my cup of tea, I still can recognize a quality game.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Yosharian said:
What bullshit... Rockstar makes endless GTA sequels, they have no fucking right to criticise others for making cash-in games.
They risked 100 million dollars on gta 4
and they did the same with red dead redemption
that's 2 risks of 100 million dollar in a row tell me who else has done that
let me help you
NONE!

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Rockstar are awesome because they know how to make a good game, they know how to make it sell, and they know how to take bloody risks...

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Not true. Make a good game that has broad appeal and the money will follow. Persona 4 and Shadow of the Colossus are examples of good games that didn't have broad appeal and they made meager profits.
Hey don't forget about:
Beyond Good and Evil
Grim Fandango
Mad World
Okami
Psychonauts
Shenmue
System Shock 1 and 2
Baten Kaitos
Eternal Darkness
*cough*Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars*cough*
and countless others!

Rockstar found a formula that works and stuck with it. If getting to live out your fantasy of shooting gangstas and smearing hookers on the pavement after getting head was a niche market[footnote]I know there's more to these games, some of them have been quite good[/footnote], they'd be complaining about how their "vision" isn't understood by the masses.

Don't get me wrong, their games ARE good, but at this point the true statement is more "make popular games and the money will follow". Plenty of GOOD games have driven their studios bankrupt.

Unless Rockstar is actually developing a sequel to the universally critically acclaimed but commercially flaccid Chinatown Wars? Then I'll believe that their only aim is to make good games and that the money just happens to pour in.

Apr 28, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The ICO/Shadow of the Colossus collection topped the sales charts for about two weeks, knocking Gears 3 off the top.

As for Persona 4, well the fact that we got a forth game in a series kind of proves that the series turns a large enough profit for them to keep bringing them to the US.

Same with all of Atlus's games actually. They don't ignite the charts true, but they turn a profit.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Irridium said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The ICO/Shadow of the Colossus collection topped the sales charts for about two weeks, knocking Gears 3 off the top.

As for Persona 4, well the fact that we got a forth game in a series kind of proves that the series turns a large enough profit for them to keep bringing them to the US.

Same with all of Atlus's games actually. They don't ignite the charts true, but they turn a profit.
Aaaaand you ruined my post. My point still stands. The original SoC didn't sell well at all if I remember correctly. And see the above post. Besides, "sell well" for Atlus means around 40k in sales. Not the millions that the big boys make.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Huh, the best way to get people to buy your games is to make the games good...

anyone else kinda sad that Rockstar feels it actually needs to explain this to some people.