Rockstar: Make Good Games and the Money Will Follow

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Yosharian said:
have you ever read a good book?
A great many, in fact. And even more bad ones. You ever been kicked in the head by a horse? I haven't done that. I realize that's not entirely relevant, but neither was your query, as the writing necessary to make a book good is different than that of a game. See, while a book has to convey everything through text, the videogame does not. This allows the actual written to pertain to a more concise part of the story, which this game uses to create rich, detailed characters who's story, while certainly nothing unheard of, is powerful and engrossing. Then again, now that i've read your post in full instead of just what pertained to mine, I see that you are the sort of person who is merely pretentious, instead of one who disagrees with my point of view and is capable or arguing the point. That being the case, I'm going to drop it now and let you toddle off to play your imaginary new IP.

Furioso said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Furioso said:
They have been kinda meh since San Andreas, but all that says to me is they are due for another spectacular game, so as long as they stick to that philosophy I'll buy their games
What games have you played? Red Dead Redemption has some of the best writing is recent history, and GTA IV, once you got over the initial disappointment of how small it was, was a fantastic character drama. LA Noire was pretty underwhelming, with its disappointingly shallow gameplay and lackluster story, but the acting was decent, which is more than i expected from it. Bully is still one of my favorite games ever made.
Rockstar games since San Andreas:

-Grand Theft Auto IV - I HATED this game for the reasons everyone else hated about it
-Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned - I liked this one
-Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony - Liked this one too (Got them due to friends constantly telling me they were good)
-Red Dead Redemption - I love this game to death
-Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare - I love this one even more to death, pun intended
-The Warriors - Never played, no opinion
-Bully - I despise this game
-Manhunts - Hated this one too
-Midnight Club Series - Did not like this game, but I don't like racing games so it doesn't really count

Do not misunderstand me, when I say meh, I don't mean every game was average, I mean I thought some were bad and others were good.
See, I hated GTA4 at first, then once i got used to the physics, and started to pay attention to Niko's storyline, I really liked it. Lost and the damned's story was terrible, but the new toys make it fun anyway. Havent played BOGT yet
RDR is magical. Those donkeys are downright majestic. Undead nightmare was funny as balls.
You skipped the warriors too, huh? That makes no one i've met who's played it. love that movie though
What's wrong with bully? It's definitely Rockstar still in a more juvenile phase, but that game was essentially High School, the saturday morning cartoon. The only problem I had with it was the OP nerd slingshot, but then I was playing on the wii, so that may have made it too useful.
Rockstar did midnight club? That completely slipped past me. still wont bother with them though

Eternal Taros said:
Your ability to ignore obvious facts is astounding.
I lol'd

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Yosharian said:
Yes, of course writing a book is different to writing a game story, but there are big similarities. It's no coincidence that a lot of great games were written by great writers. If you had any concept of what a good book is, you'd see most game stories for what they are - badly written.
I like that you include this and still try to make yourself not sound like an ass by apologizing for being condescending later. Good job for delicious consistency!

At any rate, I don't feel like arguing the point, so I'll just point out your silliness and wander off comfortable in the knowledge that you are wrong. Good night.