British Soldier: Claiming Games Cause Violence Is "Nonsense"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

A man who knows real violence knows that games are not the cause.

Andy McNab is the pseudonym used by an ex-SAS soldier on non-fiction books about his career such as Brave Two Zero, as well as military novels using his knowledge of real battlefields. He was approached by EA DICE to offer his expertise on Battlefield 3 from the ground up, not just as promotional blather. Still, as part of his promotional blather role, McNab said some very interesting things regarding games and violence, how actual soldiers speak to each other, and where he thinks the next real-world conflict will erupt.

"People have always been fascinated by war - games are just another medium for that," McNab told the Guardian. "There have been war films since the beginning of cinema - you could go along to the Saturday morning pictures and watch John Wayne kill 100 Japanese soldiers in 10 minutes. It's all part of the same thing.

"And the big arguments about games inducing violence - they're a load of nonsense; violence has always been there," he continued. "And possibly, the reason the crime rate is declining in the US is that people are now staying in and exploring violence through games rather than going out and beating people up."

One of the major things McNab contributed to Battlefield 3 was to help the writing feel authentic. "My first job was helping with the writing, coming up with plausible bridges between missions, doing some of the dialogue. Military speak is very progressive and positive. No one says, 'Well, we'll try to get to X by 9am,' it's all about 'you will do this, I will do that, this will happen.'"

Why does the change of tense matter? "The point of that is: if you start with a moment of doubt, when things get worse, doubt becomes failure. It's got to be positive from the start. And it's all about brevity - military language is not as formal as we think it is," he said.

With the defeat of Kaddafi in Libya and the U.S. pulling out of IRaq and Afghanistan in the near future, McNab made some cautious prediction of where the next problem area will erupt. "Tt's about assessing the future character of conflict. What all military forces do is assess energy and food security and the routes to and from trade partners. Food and water, we're all right on, so it'll be energy and trade routes - conflicts on the east and west coasts of Africa, possibly. The Americans, I think, still have an aircraft carrier fleet off the west coast protecting that flank. Our energy out of north Africa seems pretty secure now, it's the east and west coast that might be problem."

According to McNab, it may be time to start investing in those Somali pirates ...

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/oct/27/battlefield-3-andy-mcnab-interview]

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
...unless it's a farm.

Hrrmmm...While I appreciate the words Mr. McNab, your own particular brand of media does "appear" to be revelling in violence somewhat.

It's like Tiger Woods talking out against sleeping around. We know he knows, but...

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Unfortunatly, no one will actually take him seriously because he speaks sense. which is a shame.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"With the defeat of Kaddafi"

Uh... Gaddafi, you mean?

OT: Well, duh. Always nice to have someone say it though.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
...unless it's a farm.

Hrrmmm...While I appreciate the words Mr. McNabb, your own particular brand of media does "appear" to be revelling in violence somewhat.

It's like Tiger Woods talking out against sleeping around. We know he knows, but...
What? He's not denouncing violence, he's saying games don't cause it. An ex-SAS man has every right to say that - I mean, unless the SAS scooped him up because they were watching him re-enact Mortal Kombat on his little brother...which I doubt ever happened.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Minor typo on 'IRaq' there.
I wasn't aware Andy McNab was involved in Battlefield 3 at all. Now I'm even more pissed off that Amazon hasn't dispatched my order yet.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Woodsey said:

Uh... Gaddafi, you mean?

OT: Well, duh.
Kaddafi is an acceptable spelling, given that what the western media knows of his name is translated from Arabic.

I hope I haven't double-posted here.

Edit: I have. Damn. Sorry.

gwiddison

Dec 15, 2010
Face is, the man's right. There's no correlation between video games and violence that's ever been proven. And, in fact, the release of hotly anticipated shooters tends to cause a drop in street crime, presumably because all the young men are inside playing instead of outside causing trouble.

Ironically, recent studies have shown that FPS games are very helpful in treating PTSD in combat veterans. No wonder a soldier is standing up for them.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well... its nice to see some logic. Granted what he said a ten year old could come up with (though not as eloquently), which is more to say he shouldnt have to say it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
...unless it's a farm.

Hrrmmm...While I appreciate the words Mr. McNabb, your own particular brand of media does "appear" to be revelling in violence somewhat.

Look, if the censors would only allow it I guarantee video games would be focused on sex... just like the entire film industry is.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Listen to the man.

He was in the S.A.S.

If you ignore him, he will kill you with a chocolate lime!
No he wouldn't..... he would do it with a milk bottle top, a cold teabag and a guinea pig hair-brush.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Woodsey said:

Uh... Gaddafi, you mean?

Not that surprising since it's from the guardian. Those guys really should use proof readers before going to prune... I mean print.

Dec 14, 2009
vrbtny said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Listen to the man.

He was in the S.A.S.

No he wouldn't..... he would do it with a milk bottle top, a cold teabag and a guinea pig brush.
And a partridge in a pear tree.

Everything is a lethal weapon.

Feb 13, 2008
Thyunda said:
What? He's not denouncing violence, he's saying games don't cause it.
Writing Bravo Two Zero might do though, which weakens the case considerably.

Treblaine said:
Look, if the censors would only allow it I guarantee video games would be focused on sex... just like the entire film industry is.
That's quite a huge stretch of 'what-ifs', which tends to fall at the first post. The Film Industry isn't obsessed with sex, the media reporting the Film Industry is obsessed with sex.

The Film Industry has produced some rather stunning films that have nothing to do with sex - it's just they don't titilate the readership of the popular press and - as such - don't warrant a mention.

Just like the media reporting the Games Industry is obsessed with violence.

Or the tabloids with "You couldn't make it up".

(With a few notable exceptions, of course)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
luvd1 said:
Woodsey said:

Uh... Gaddafi, you mean?

Not that surprising since it's from the guardian. Those guys really should use proof readers before going to prune... I mean print.
The Escapist spelled it with a K, The Guardian used a G. So yeah, as you were saying, proof readers....

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Glad someone is speaking some sense.

While there is evidence of a link between increased aggression and violent video games (anyone who has played multiplayer shooters can attest for that) that doesn't mean that there's a direct link to *actual* violence. If you play games then go out and hurt someone, that's because there was already something very wrong with your head, even without the games.

'course, the game could be one of many factors that combine to make you consider a career in the military, but that doesn't really count.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Listen to the man.

He was in the S.A.S.

Now I want some chocolate limes... I'll go dan't* shops and get a big bag for a quid**.

Anybody want owt*** while I'm gone?

* - Down to the

** - Pound Sterling

*** - Anything

Translation for the non-British Escapists, and some of the non-Yorkshire Escapists.