And The Doctor's New Assistant Is...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
And The Doctor's New Assistant Is...

The Doctor's new companion has been revealed as a cute robotic dog! [No, not really.]

It's no secret that Amy and Rory are Jenna-Louise Coleman [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_111216_01/Farewell_and_Hello], familiar to U.K. audiences for her work in television series including Emmerdale, Waterloo Road and Titanic.

"It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She's funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS," said Executive Producer and Lead Writer Steven Moffat. "It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet."

The new companion will be introduced in a "dramatic turn of events" leading up to the show's "enormous, climactic 50th anniversary year," but details beyond that are being kept very hush-hush. "That's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters," Moffat continued. "Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

The seventh "series," as our British friends like to call it, of Doctor Who is currently in production and will hit the airwaves later this year.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_120321_02/Jenna-Louise_Coleman_Announced_as_New_Companion]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
We need more male companions! Bring back Captain Jack and Mickey, combine them with Rory and tada! Perfect time traveling crew!

Hopefully she will be more of a Donna Noble character and not be romantically interested in the Doctor.

Also they need to mix up the Earth Human thing they have going. Make her an alien or from the past/future so she dresses different to a twenty-something Earth girl. Like Leela, but with less Baker and more Smith

They are leaving in episode 5 of the series. "Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time" - Moffat

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im not really picky over who gets the next assistant role, only that they perform the role to a good standard.

TimeLord said:
They are leaving in episode 5 of the series. "Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time" - Moffat
Once seen it cant be unseen...

In the end though i hope its a worthy sendoff for them.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
So exciting! Eep!

I agree with TimeLord about her not getting all googly-eyed over the Doctor. I can't really blame everyone who does, but it gets a little boring to watch after a while. However, I think it would be uncharacteristic of the Doctor to stop picking up female companions at this point. It just feels like part of his personality.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I have heard rumblings in fact that she won't be playing a human. SO presumably, it'll be a humanoid alien, or a super cool robot.

Hopefully that one.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
I think...she's also in Xenoblade Chronicles as a main character, I'll just check, yup, she's Melia.

Just some fun game related acting facts :D

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
END THE DAMN TIMEWAR!

It's been hinted, more than once, that 'fixed points' in time CAN be changed.
I'd LOVE it if that's how the 11th goes.

The end of the TimeWar.
A special TV movie of the 5 'New Who' Doctors.

That's a GREAT way to have the 50th Anniversary go.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Wow.. she is Incredibly cute. Sort of reminds me of a mid 90s Tiffany Amber Theisen.

But honestly? K-9 > all the spunky side kicks in the world.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Tanis said:
END THE DAMN TIMEWAR!

The end of the TimeWar.

You remember the last time a fixed point was changed?

It nearly caused time itself to die.

Also, there are three "New Who" Doctors.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Tanis said:
END THE DAMN TIMEWAR! It's been hinted, more than once, that 'fixed points' in time CAN be changed.
I'd LOVE it if that's how the 11th goes. The end of the TimeWar. A special TV movie of the 5 'New Who' Doctors. That's a GREAT way to have the 50th Anniversary go.
You remember the last time a fixed point was changed?
It nearly caused time itself to die.
Also, there are three "New Who" Doctors.
True, but only NEARLY.

Well, there's 4 I guess.
1-7 are considered the 'Classic' while 8-11 are considered the 'modern' or 'new'.

But this could be something to introduce the 12th Doctor.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Tanis said:
END THE DAMN TIMEWAR!

The end of the TimeWar.

The Time War has ended. It's just never been properly fleshed out.

Fixed points can't be changed without screwing up the universe. See the finale of series 6. When 10 altered the death of Adelaide the universe still compensated around it even without the Time Lords to intervene. Non-fixed points can and have been, screwed around with on more than 1 occasion.

There have only been 4 "New Who" Doctors if you count Paul McGann. Not sure who you're thinking of to make 5. Sylvester McCoy is getting on a bit age wise now. He only came back to film his dying scene in the 'Doctor Who Movie' so he could properly regenerate into McGann.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
viranimus said:
Wow.. she is Incredibly cute. Sort of reminds me of a mid 90s Tiffany Amber Theisen.

But honestly? K-9 > all the spunky side kicks in the world.
Cool, you are probably as old as me to remember her. Anyway...

You know that neu-who needs? A Leela or Jamie McCrimmon character, basically a non Contemporary Earth companion who can see even current day London through new eyes. Not a brainiac River Song/Romana/Adric character, and not someone who is always running into trouble all the time and screaming for help either.

I am a warrior of the Sevateem. I know the different sounds of death. Now put our prisoner to the torture!
Leela is the best companion, only just, because she looks better than Jamie in a skirt.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well she's very cute. But I still can't wrap my head around the fact so many people seem to adore this show. I really can't see what's so special about it besides it being a long running British series.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Technically, Nine was the intro. Christopher Eccleston was the start of the 2005 relaunch.
I know, but most fans tend to group the 8th with the 2005 camp.