Upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rerelease Appears on Square Enix Site

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
Upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rerelease Appears on Square Enix Site

An updated, feature-rich version of FFVII may be coming to Steam.

A new website registered to Square Enix has leaked details of a possible PC rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. If the leak is to be believed, the port is set to include some snazzy new features to help modernize the classic, including a new cloud save storage system (no, not that Cloud) and a set of achievements. Though no actual mention of Steam is made, these additions imply it to be a possible release platform.

The news comes after denials [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101019-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Pushed-Even-Further-From-Possibility] that a remake is currently in development. Details of a similar release of both Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII were spotted on Steam around this time last year, and this looks like another step towards an actual release - though it's hard to tell at the moment whether this would be a full HD rework or an enhanced rerelease of the 1998 PC edition.

The page, registered last week to Square Enix Holdings, was swiftly taken down, but still lives on in Google's cache [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A//dev.finalfantasyviipc.com/en]. A price of £7.99/€9.99 (about $12.50) was listed on the site, but there were no details as of yet on a possible release date. The page also included character descriptions, downloadable wallpapers (which require a password to access), and even the mention of a "Character Booster", which will "increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum" when you're in a pinch.

Square Enix have responded in an official comment to G4TV [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/725196/final-fantasy-7-appears-to-be-coming-to-pc-in-updated-form/], saying that "Regarding Final Fantasy VII, we don't have any news or information to announce at this time". There's been no implication that the page is a hoax though, so we'll have to wait and see whether anything official comes out of this.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-21-final-fantasy-7-coming-to-steam-leak-suggests]

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
In fairness, a remake is not the same as a re-release. Confirming everyone's suspicions that a "remake" is in the works would just result in bad press when the result is actually just the original game with extra features and achievements, and I suspect they'd want to keep anything FFVII-related under wraps until a more concrete release schedule can be confirmed.

Me? Already own it. I genuinely do love the game though, so whether or not I'm willing to shell out for the same game depends on exactly what sort of "extra features" we're talking about.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, I'd buy it.

I haven't played the game since it was new and I barely remember it. I wouldn't pass up the chance to see if I can recall what all the fuss was about.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok... Maybe ill finally be able to dig into why so many people think Final Fantasy is so great.

Assuming its ever coming out, that is.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
BREAKING NEWS:
Okay, overrated, JRPG gets re-release of it's poorly done (without the fan made mod & patch) PC port.

More as this story develops.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Oh wow I might actually play it if this happened! Even just the regular version on Steam or GOG would bo good enough, I want to give you some money and play one of your games Square why won't you let me?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Sounds like a rerelease of the old PC ports of FF VII (and possibly VIII) with certain additions. I'd say they'll probably just add achievements, higher resolution modes, and fixes that will allow the port(s) to run on Windows VII... I mean 7.

I'd be very surprised if they add anything beyond that.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Doom972 said:
Sounds like a rerelease of the old PC ports of FF VII (and possibly VIII) with certain additions. I'd say they'll probably just add achievements, higher resolution modes, and fixes that will allow the port(s) to run on Windows VII... I mean 7.

I'd be very surprised if they add anything beyond that.
Yeah me too, especially since the re-releases of them on the PSN sold like hotcakes its obvious that Square can make maximum money with minimum effort.

Personally I'd like to see a fully 3d version of VI or Chrono Trigger but I realise that's never gonna happen.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Oh praise the almighty space butterfly, FF7 has achievements now! I just knew something of vital importance was missing, but I could never put my finger on it. Now for the first time I shall experience the wonder that is FF7 in it's full glory, and I weep for those who missed out on achievements their first time.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Hmmm, I was under the impression that people were asking for a remake of this game, you know to follow that HD tech demo-remake of the game's opening scene? Not simply the ability to play it on the PC with *shudder* achievements...

*heh* Just like a rather half-arsed attempt at appeasing the fans.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Well... it's not a remake. Too bad since I'll still be able to pop the PS1 disc into my PC and use an emulator to run it. I don't think I'll be missing much.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Well, I already have it for PC, and for Playstation, so I can't really imagine that achievements will make me want to buy it again. Now that I think about it, I should try to track down my old PC discs for it and see if it'll still work on a 64bit OS, somehow I doubt it. The problem I had with it was after the first time I went through it, I can't finish it again. I'll play for a few days or a week, trying to do everything, and then I'll get bored. When I pick it up again a few months later I've completely forgotten where I was and what I was supposed to do next.

That being said, I'd certainly pay for a full remake. It was a good game, not a completely amazing game, but a pretty good game. However I can't see paying for just a re-release, but I'm sure there are people out there that either never played it, or don't have a PS1 or PS2 or the discs anymore.