EA Signs On to GaymerCon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Signs On to GaymerCon

Electronic Arts has become the first publisher to give its official support to GaymerCon.

GaymerCom, "the first gaming and tech convention with a focus on LGBT geek culture," is coming next year and it's bringing Electronic Arts with it. EA is the first publisher to announce its official support of the con, joining the Xbox Live team and Penny Arcade.

"EA believes that to be truly innovative, you must be inclusive," said Ginger Maseda, EA's Global Talent Acquisition and Inclusion Leader. "We are proud to be a part of this event."

"EA not only publishes some of the best games in the world, but they're the most progressive company in the industry. We're thrilled and honored to have them involved in GaymerCon," added GaymerCon Industry Relations Director Jack DeVries.

Electronic Arts isn't everybody's favorite videogame company, but I don't think there's any other publisher in the business that has so wholeheartedly embraced, primarily through its BioWare studio, the simple concept of diversity. The Dragon Age and Mass Effect franchises both took big steps toward genuine inclusiveness with both player characters and NPCs, and that's to be applauded.

The inaugural GaymerCon will take place on August 3 and 4, 2013, in San Francisco. To find out more, hit up Facebook page [http://gaymercon.org/].

Source: GaymerCon [http://blog.gaymercon.org/electronic-arts/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The effort to be gender and orientation inclusive is admirable. But I felt that the execution left something to be desired.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Bet 99.99% of the post here are going to be something like this "hur hur EA trying to make its public image good hur hur I hate EA hur hur." Or something like that.

Well if a big game publisher supports homosexuality, think something like that oreos support homosexuals will happen here too?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Orks da best said:
Bet 99.99% of the post here are going to be something like this "hur hur EA trying to make its public image good hur hur I hate EA hur hur." Or something like that.

Well if a big game publisher supports homosexuality, think something like that oreos support homosexuals will happen here too?
Indeed. Just because it's a PR stunt doesn't mean it can't still be the Right Thing To Do.

However, I think the way Nabisco showed their support for gay marriage was incredibly inappropriate. How dare they show us that amazing rainbow oreo and then not start selling them?

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Well I think the gaymers know the perfect place EA can shuv their transparent PR stunt.
So much hate, and it's not even tasteful.

Actions speak louder than words, and EA is doing the right thing, in my opinion. Even if this is just a PR stunt, the backing of a major publisher is going to help the "gaymer" effort that much more, which frankly, isn't a bad thing.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Ouch, in PR and politics never speak in absolutes EA spokesmen. Though I'm glad to see EA supporting LGBT events like this.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
There are a number of reasons for me not liking EA, but I ain't gonna deny that they're doing a good thing here. Maybe not for some lovely, kind reasons, but it's still a good thing. But is no-one else finding the idea of the Xbox Live team being at this just hilarious. Because it's tickling me in such a beautiful and dirty way.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well done to EA for supporting LGBT and all that, but I ask this, but is LGBT geek culture so much different than so-called "normal" geek culture that it needs it's own Con for it? I'm pretty sure most of the people that go to Cons (I say pretty sure, I've never actually been to a big con) don't care about your sexuality, race, ethnicity etc. They go to these things to geek out. Is there any particular reason that a GaymerCon is necessary?

But like I've said well done to EA, as "PR-stunty" as some people may read it as, I believe it's a good thing.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
As a bisexual, I only have one problem with gaymercon, as it basically is saying that homosexual and bisexual people, or gamers to be specific, are different from regular ones. There's nothing wrong with pride in who you are, and there is a time for that, but right now is not it. There is still prejudice with it, so to get the equal treatment aspect down, first we need to prove that we are normal, regular people. Gaymercon does not help with this.

Ranting aside, good on EA, for once. While it is the thought that counts most of the time, no one should deny a good act simply because the intentions weren't wholely great. So even if it is a PR stunt, it's at least a good one.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
klaynexas3 said:
As a bisexual, I only have one problem with gaymercon, as it basically is saying that homosexual and bisexual people, or gamers to be specific, are different from regular ones. There's nothing wrong with pride in who you are, and there is a time for that, but right now is not it. There is still prejudice with it, so to get the equal treatment aspect down, first we need to prove that we are normal, regular people. Gaymercon does not help with this.

Ranting aside, good on EA, for once. While it is the thought that counts most of the time, no one should deny a good act simply because the intentions weren't wholely great. So even if it is a PR stunt, it's at least a good one.
Gaymercon is actually an all-inclusive event and even straight people are allowed to attend. It's not trying to be separatist, it's trying to be just another con with an emphasis on tolerating gays. You can mull over how effective that a convention that explicitly bases itself around this purpose is in breaking down these barriers, but it's a step in the right direction.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
We here at Gaymer con want to be accepted by all and be considered a normal part of the gaming community. So, we made our own con and not only segregate ourselves from the rest of the community but make sure everyone damn well knows we are doing it! This is the best idea ever!

I have nothing against these people and I'm well aware that the con is an inclusive event where anyone can go, regardless of their sexuality. But this still just seems like a misstep by the Gay community. Rather than making a single con for this, why didn't they just go around to regular cons and set up a booth or something? It seems like that is a far better way to spread the message to a larger amount of people.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I don't know how to feel about GaymerCon. On the one hand it's great that LGBT geekss can celebrate who they are, but on the other hand it sort of implies that LGBT geeks aren't 'normal' which is not true at all.
Andy Shandy said:
klaynexas3 said:
Double ninja'd

Still it's nice to see companies supporting LGBT causes.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
My respect towards EA just skyrocketed, they have little to gain from supporting what is simply a gathering of a LGBT gamers sharing enthusiasm for games that we all love so much.

Hats of EA, you guys are ok.

@ VanQQisH - you've got a good point, in a way it's splitting the gamer community by sexuality, which is technically irrelevant when being a gamer, because we come from all walks of life.

But on the other hand, it is good to remind people that being gay is ok, this is still something many haven't learned and accepted even in the 21st century.

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
The war against bigotry is fought on many fronts. One that I feel is often neglected is making sure there's a place for like-minded people to come together and just connect and be happy. I feel GaymerCon is trying to fill that spot.

Even if it's just a PR stunt on EA's side, it gives GaymerCon a real tool to work with to rally more support, and I'm okay with that.

Besides, I'd like to think that the majority of people at EA are decent folk, they've just got bosses who don't understand where good games come from.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
VanQQisH said:
We here at Gaymer con want to be accepted by all and be considered a normal part of the gaming community. So, we made our own con and not only segregate ourselves from the rest of the community but make sure everyone damn well knows we are doing it! This is the best idea ever!

I have nothing against these people and I'm well aware that the con is an inclusive event where anyone can go, regardless of their sexuality. But this still just seems like a misstep by the Gay community. Rather than making a single con for this, why didn't they just go around to regular cons and set up a booth or something? It seems like that is a far better way to spread the message to a larger amount of people.
You can go to Gaymercon if you want, it isn't exclusive, there is no segregation. You know this, why say otherwise?

As hard as it is to believe, some people are still vilified by the community for expressing their love. Shocking I know but people still get beaten just for being different. That sometimes makes it difficult for Queer* people to be themselves openly. This isn't about spreading a message, it is about holding a Queer* friendly event.

The right thing to do is the right thing to do, no matter what motivated the action, so Kudos EA.

*[small]Is it OK for a straight guy to use the word queer? Friends don't mind me using it, but they use it themselves, plus they're my friends. I find LBGT so ungainly, it sounds like a sandwich.[/small]

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"EA not only publishes some of the best games in the world, but they're the most progressive company in the industry."

Sorry, I just felt it had to be done. In all seriousness, EA giving their support to this thing is a good thing, be it for PR or not. More power to them, I guess.
(Although, you know, the segregation maters brought up do have some validity to them... Who knows, really?)