254: Playing for the Story

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
At the risk of sounding like an ultra-pro-hardcore-gamer, I really have to wonder why you (Logan) bother playing games at all anymore. Most games really don't have very good stories at all and if you aren't getting anything out of the challenge, I think it's time for a break at the very least. You can become as involved in a book or a movie just as well as a game. It's like the easiest difficulty imaginable. Life's too short just to limit yourself to just games. I'm just now coming off a two month video game fast, playing Bit Trip Runner (insanely challenging, no story) and anticipating Red Dead Redemption. It's like they're brand new and I'm addicted all over again.

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
Is there really such a problem about cheating your way through a game, if it increases your enjoyment of it?

I was always the kind of gamer who didn't like to fail: it would quickly sour my experience if I kept losing or getting killed or can't progress past a certain point. (It's why solitaire and I don't get along. >.>) I will use cheat codes, slide the difficulty down to easy, enter console commands to give myself xp and gold, and I genuinely don't feel like I'm less of a gamer if I do so.

That's not to say I ALWAYS cheat... I went through Dragon Age: Origins cheating my way through, because I enjoyed creating the character and playing it the way that I wanted to. I later got Awakenings, and didn't touch the console at all. And I died. Sometimes frequently, and with much swearing.

But shooters are the worst for me, because I don't handle adrenaline very well. I want to play FPS games with god mode and infinite ammo, every time, because I just get so nervous. (I really miss cheat codes to turn on god-mode and ammo cheats, you wouldn't believe.)

I think so long as you are still enjoying the game and the story, no matter which way you choose to get through it, then who is anyone else to tell you that you are less of a gamer for doing so? It is YOUR free time you're spending.

meredithe

Nov 17, 2009
Good article. I usually set action-type games to easy the first time I play because dying 40 million times isn't fun, especially if the last save is a while back. After I get used to a game, I might turn it up, or I might just enjoy the feeling of being a total badass for a while. :)

In the end, it's all about the story for me. There's nothing more frustrating than slogging through a game only to finally be completely shut down by the final boss and having to quit without seeing the end of the story (see also: rpgs that require insane amounts of level grinding in order to not die).

Thanks for writing about this; it's really good to see someone in the gaming press who doesn't have his self-worth confused with his button mashing speed.

Trelow

Sep 28, 2007
I can relate. When I keep getting my ass handed to me, it goes down for the battle... unless there are additional rewards for using a higher difficulty.

Thor Doomhammer

Mar 29, 2010
I do the exact same thing. There was a time when I'd try to ramp up the difficulty and give myself a challenge, but that was when I was going to classes for 2 hours a day, and gaming for 8. Nowadays, when I'm working for 8 hours a day, and gaming for 2 (if I'm luckly), I just don't have the time to play through the same section again and again to get it right. I play in far shorter bursts, and want the instant gratification of mowing through a few rooms of enemies and advancing the story a bit. If I played like I used to, I would miss out on experience of so many titles.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I started to take note of certain boss fights in Dragon Age that would require me to turn the difficulty slider down. Interestingly enough, almost all of the Mage's Tower is easily handled on Normal difficulty for me, but there is one fight with a succubus and what seems like a dozen Templars, that Sloth Demon and then the big baddy up top that just pulverize. One of those moments is bad enough to exhaust my supply of healing items, I don't want to keep dying until I manage to survive by the skin of my teeth.

However, when it comes to optional bosses like the two dragons in the game, I don't make any changes. If I use 90-100% of my potions it is because it's supposed to be a damn hard fight. The only reason I'm going for those bosses is for the sake of saying "I killed the dragon", and putting the game on easy would cheapen that. However, when it comes to the story, a game designer should be able to balance the encounters.

I read on Gamasutra long, long ago an article about balancing difficulty in games. The idea isn't to kill the player but to bring them close to death over and over before giving them more health and ammunition. Games either make the stuff too plentiful or too sparse, though granted this is going to vary from player to player. Still, the idea is that you want the player to feel as if they could die, but somehow always manage to survive. It is thrilling, suspenseful and doesn't rip the player out of the immersive world repeatedly because they keep needing to replay the same confrontation over and over.

One key example used was Half-Life. I hate using Valve as some sort of Messiah of game design since they have plenty of problems on their own (Left 4 Dead 2 needed at least another six months of polish and balancing, if not more), but one strategy used by Half-Life was to decrease the amount of damage enemies dealt as you were lower in health. This is such a good idea that it is shocking it isn't more wide spread. In RPG's you could make small damage modifications but also increase the likelihood that the enemy will miss. One might argue that players will notice such things, but I know I and many others never noticed that Half-Life modifies the damage as you become weaker and weaker.

It provides a thrill for the player and keeps them alive as long as possible. It's much more immersive and thrilling to just barely make it rather than not making it and having to replay over and over.

Of course, what does this have to do with games and narrative? Well, for me, while I love narrative games more than anything, I also believe the gameplay is equally important. If the two can work together to create a mixture of emotions not found anywhere else, then you have an ideal representation of the medium. Unfortunately it feels like developers try and keep the two elements on completely different sides of the room.

My philosophy on game and narrative design is: if you can do it in gameplay (QTE's do NOT count as gameplay and need to be abandoned), then do it in gameplay. If you have a specific vision/idea you want to impress upon the player, then a cut-scene is fine. However, the player will care more about what is happening in that cut-scene if the gameplay allowed them to be prepared for it. Take the nuke scene in Call of Duty 4. By having to go save a downed helicopter's pilot, you feel a sense of accomplishment...until the nuke goes off. Then instead of showing you someone die, they let you play his final moments.

I have a boner for this moment every time I think about how genius the execution is. It's completely rail-roaded, and the nuke isn't interactive, yet every time I replay that moment it still hits me. That is the power of games as a narrative as long as you don't push story and gameplay to completely opposite sides of the room.

LINCARD1000

Spooky Possums!
Jun 16, 2009
Bravo to both the article and to those of you who openly admit to doing what I have been horribly embarrassed about. Definitely not a n00bilicious here, so generally play on normal or hard difficulties but DAO? My (insert deity of preference here)! Most average encounters are challenging and fun on normal, but anything with one of those orange names indicating "Imma Boss Guy, Gonna Give You Ouchies Time Now", down goes that slider.

All I can say is VINDICATED! And I don't feel like such a pathetic excuse for a human being any longer.

LadyCatra

Princess TLDR
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks very much for the article. I enjoyed the read and find kindred in your experiences. It's made me look at something in my own game-life I hadn't put into context before (TLDR at the bottom as usual).

Ignoring the girl factor, growing up playing games on "normal" or lower somehow always put a mark against me with other guys in the group. It wasn't that I couldn't handle the harder settings, I just didn't see the point. For me it wasn't a challenge, it was a chore. It was just more fun to progress through the story.

It's the same reason I'm happy to watch someone else playing the game instead of having the need to control it -- I'm in it for the story and that experience.

Mass Effect was the first game I ever played through on the harder settings. I've gone back and on my 4th go around and, really just for the achievement, am playing it on insanity. It's getting tedious.

Of course I wanted to play through ME again (4th time actually) - love the story line (obsessive fan girl is yes) and this time wanted to prove to myself that I was a good enough gamer to play on a higher level. Well yes I am good enough but, I'm bored. The fights just take so long to complete the missions feel like a chore now simply because of the long difficulty level progression.

The other example I wanted to bring to the table was God of War. We started playing it on normal and the battles became quickly frustrating and "oh just let me get through this" mentality set in. As soon as we caved to changing the difficulty down to 'easy' the game was suddenly a lot more fun. Why yes, kicking ass *easily* is FUN!

Like I said, I grew up with the hard core boys who cared more about kill count and skill level than anything else going on. That's been hard to get over.

The traditional stereotype of the gamer is all about the skill levels and being able to beat a harder opponent. But there is another gamer type out there that is engaging for the joy of the story and experiences presented through game media.

I'm not knocking the gamers who are focused on headshot count and skill level ability, that's your choice, and yes you would kick my butt in the game because you've had more experience at that level and care more about working towards that ablility. I'm not competing with you (anymore), it's just not fun for me, and I'm fine with that. That doesn't make me less of a gamer just because my interests are different.

TLDR

I've always felt embarrassed playing on "easy" - almost like I was less of a gamer somehow - it was a total peer pressure put down. But, I've realized over time (and this article helped bring it to light) that my engagement in the game is not about the skill or the fight for survival - it's about the story and the enjoyment of progress and completion - and that's okay. The kill count gamer stereotype needs to be broken; there are more of us story centric players out there than you think.

Yeah I finished Batman: Arkham Asylum on easy, because I *wanted to* not because I *had to*.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thank god! Its nice to see an article like this! I am the same way, I will play a game on easy (most the time) because, when it comes to it, I want to know the story, I want to know what happens next, and if what is around the corner will make the house of cards fall onto me.

If I like a game, I will go back later and play it on harder difficulties (ie/ Mass Effect 2), but, for me, Narrative, will always be the most important aspect to me.

I think at times people are far too obsessed with wanting to shove it in your face they are the most epic thing that walked the planet, all because they beat an enemy on the hardest setting, with the lowest skill weapons...bravo, its an achievement...and I can see it been fun for some people...but not for all.

broklynite

Feb 27, 2009
I chose to play Star Wars Force Unleashed on easy for a reason. Normally, I play most games on normal, then again on hard. On rare occasions when I really love a game, I only ever play it on hard because I want the experience to last (i.e. Bioshock). But my attitude is that if you are Darth Vader's apprentice being sent out to destroy- well, everything, then you should be powerful enough that this is a relatively minor task. Yea, puzzles, whatever. I'm talking about when I go into a room full of troopers or robots or whatever, there should be absolutely no doubt that they will all die. Why? Because it's the only thing that makes sense to me in terms of the story. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I see it.

royale

Dec 15, 2009
DAO became much more fun for me once I turned it down to easy. I liked the pacing and style of ME2's combat because it required much less micromanagement to be successful.

I wish there was some sort of incentive to play the game on the higher difficulty levels, like extra gold or better item rewards. It's just too frustrating to spend so much time on each encounter dying over and over again when it's just gonna land you in the exact same place as if you one-shotted it on easy.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I was just playing Dragon Age: Origins actually. On casual, too. Even though I could beat most of the game on Normal, I hated dying in that game so I kept it on there on casual. I just didn't understand the combat well enough, and also dying completely ruined the immersion. Whenever I died, it felt like all the momentum of the narrative had fallen in a pathetic heap.

I feel that perhaps some (not all) games should avoid a permanent failure 'game over' screen. Heavy Rain doesn't have 'game over' screens, does it?

vociferocity

Jan 1, 2010
I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins on easy too. Games that seem like they have a hack and slash battle style but actually have quite a tactical system just get tedious very quickly for me, so I figure...well, why not just turn that difficulty slider down all the way and play it how I want to? I have more fun just throwing attacks around and not really paying attention to the rest of my team, anyway.

sometimes I play games on harder settings if I really enjoyed the game and want to play it again, but honestly, it doesn't happen a lot. I prefer to just blast my way from cutscene to cutscene, progressing the story. I think this is part of the reason I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy XIII so much - it doesn't have sixty billion worthless, stupidly difficult side quests that I don't give a toss about.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Story is the most important thing to me by far. So much so, that it has caused me to buy games that I have been warned away from and otherwise would never have touched. The .Hack and .Hack//G.U. games are a task in mind numbing button mashing, but I loved the story so much I had to keep playing (and buying) them. Same for Xenosaga II. Horrid gameplay, but it was part of the story and it needed to be played. Anyone else have this "problem"?

UnclGhost

Apr 7, 2010
That's sort of how I felt about the original BioShock. I didn't really like the gameplay, so I just set it to Easy (which sadly didn't turn off the WELCOME to the CIRCUS of VALUES every few hundred feet) and played for the story, which also was no great shakes.

JuryNelson

Mar 3, 2010
This is exactly why I quit playing Uncharted. I want to like it because everyone else does, and so do I, for most of it. But then I find out that the REWARD for finding the right way to go forward is a billion dudes with unlimited ammo who will shoot you for ever. I don't want to slaughter thousands of mercenaries! I want to explore well-realized ruins and gorgeous environments?

Ditto for Castlevania. I love SotN and the DS games with their emphasis on exploration, but there is a definite sense that the game somehow resents me for playing it.

That's why I made fun of people who were pissed about Elika in PoP. If you aren't playing games to play them, then what are you playing them for?

JuryNelson

Mar 3, 2010
Setsuhen said:
Playing Oblivion for me was no easy task. I found myself getting killed time after time, and it just became a bore. I tried active leveling, and it worked, yet there were still parts that just made me want to rip my hair off. My "pride" refused to make me slide the difficulty bar all the way down, so I just set it down when fighting a monster I found impossible, then resetting it after getting it done.
I know what you mean. I hated this. I came into Oblivion after a history in JRPGs, where you can usually get past every monster by sharpening your sword on smaller monsters. But Oblivion has parallel leveling, so the monsters become stronger as you do. The moment the Ogres entered the world, I never won a single fight. The trick I found was to just never go to sleep. Win on level one, and you can sort of imagine that you're so single-minded and driven you just don't have time to check into a damn hotel.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
While I enjoy games without stories my enjoyment of a game is definitely greater when there is a good story. However I actually enjoyed the combat in Mass Effect 2 and found myself using tactics when fighting whereas in most games I just charge in guns blazing. Overall I really enjoyed this article and feel that it captures how I feel about videogames very well and it is always nice to know that others play games for the story as many of my friends are the "no multiplayer,no buy" types. Which drives me crazy.

TheDumbGamer

Jan 17, 2009
Yep.. add me to the list. I can't stand combat just for combat. ME2, I loved. I even loved the combat on Normal/Hard. But, I only play on Easy when it's just too hard for me. Otherwise I get too bored with the game. DA:O was a pain. I hate the micromanagement (I never bothered with assigning points in ME/ME2, either... I just let the game do it). I think I dropped it back to casual for the last part, but I can't really remember.

Bayonetta, on the other hand... I just can't let myself drop to easy. I want so badly to beat that on normal mode. But, of course, that game is really more about the combat than the story.

This article exemplifies one reason I have never been able to finish FFVII, despite several tries. I can't stand all the nonsensical, grinding, leveling, random encounters I have to wade through once I'm out of the main city. Even when the combat's easy, it still takes several minutes to cross one screen! It's just not for me.