265: The Fallacy of the Fanboy

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Here is the thing: the whole industry is not doing much to help our self-image. Content wise, we still have some incredibly immature, bland games, despite the ratings. Misogyny is rampant and most uber-popular games consist of the same old "kill anything that moves" adrenaline-fueled space marine tomfoolery. And now that the industry has become as profitable as film, chances are, we will only see it change for the worse. Thankfully, as is with film, the terrible but popular games will support the more arty ones.

I suppose the question is, who are we to blame for this? Ourselves, for being spazzwits who don't demand more from the industry and unload on anyone who dares to criticize our medium of choice? The industry investors that demand safe, samey games? Frankly, I'd like to see us as gamers demand less empty products. Real, interesting experiences. I know the industry is just as capitalist as the rest, but still. It would be nice to see gaming become distinguished from the likes of Hollywood, instead of spooning with it. That is why we're all on here, isn't it?

There was a good article on cracked about it not long ago: http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer.html

And to be fair, fanboys are dangerous to whatever it is they are loyal to, games or not.

RangerSERE

May 14, 2010
I play video games. I dont not take the hobby serious enough to defend it to anyone. It really comes down to how low on my priorities list video games are. Ill argue something truly important, mortgage rates, civil rights etc...

This brings me to my notion that "gamers" love being the tragic victim in a subject most people really dont care about. It really seems that "gamers" feeling sorry for themselves holds enough credence as Steve Jobs bitching about having to pay his bills. Its a distraction of affluent countries and people, a time waster. Of course you can choose to take these mediums extremely seriously, but the more you push the more people tend to dislike things. No matter how nice or informative you attempt. I play video games, im not invested in video games. So i guess the real fallacy is this bubble an industry with a lot of money has made, which leads people to believe that games are the next big "fight for your rights" movement. Somehow "gamers" now believe that they are persecuted like Jews in Nazi Germany.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Yes, I do feel that gamers should be doing more to help their favored medium. One of the main problems is that there is too much infighting. Hardcore gamers who don't like casual games and will use anything to try and attack them, and the people who play it (are but one thing). Gamers need to unify themselves together, and stop fighting each other. With very delusional people like Jack Thompson who are on an ignorant crusade against video games. Gamers need to galvanize themselves in a way to protect the things things that they love. The more we fight against each other, the more opportunities insane and misguided people like Jack Thompson will have to try and tear us all down. There needs to be peace, there needs to be a consensus. Gamers need to agree that the true enemies aren't games or gamers (no matter how casual or hardcore it may be), but the ignorant people who unrelentingly spread vicious dis-truths about games and gamers. There was one time when I saw gamers unite under a single banner to fight against a perceived evil. While this was indeed a noble gesture, they were fighting a meaningless and potentially damaging battle, as it was a battle against games itself. If only we could get the same kind of unity to fight against the things that assail all gamers.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Excellent article. The way to get people to accept gaming is to show them what it really is and remove the veil of ignorance. This is a really good strategy for lots of arguments but really the only way to remove gaming stigmas. I really am looking forward to the potential for an increase in casual gaming because it potentially will show people all over the truth that gaming isn't evil, its just quirky.

UnclGhost

Apr 7, 2010
Not a great representation of the Penny Arcade post. What Holkins is saying is that Ebert was basically being a film/"serious art" fanboy and there's no real reason to bother being a fanboy back or even respond at all.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
Jerry's "dismissal" of Ebert is less about ignoring the critic outright than acknowledging that that particular person will never be convinced of the worth of video games and is thus not worthy of energy convincing otherwise.

EDIT: Looks like the post above me beat me to this.

nelsonr100

Apr 15, 2009
I really agree with this article and I wish it was easier to implement the ideas you mentioned. In my experience however, there are definitely some people who will give everything a go and if you nudge them towards gaming and the culture around it they become very accepting. They may not perhaps take it up as a hobby but they at least understand the appeal and are tollerant and intrigued.

The other more annoying side of the coin is that a lot of people are impossible to convince. They have put gaming into a special place in their mind where it is labelled immature, boring, pointless etc and locked it down with stubborness. Unfortunately I've found more of the latter but that may just be due to my location etc.

Its incredibly satisfying when you meet someone of the more open attitude and don't need to argue or defend yourself and your hobby. Maybe if we all keep working on the stubborn ones, ease them in with some mario kart, guitar hero and portal, attitudes will start to change. Heres hoping.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Just happened to read this now*

What? Naw, you got it all wrong. Jack Thompson is on OUR side. Never has a man been so singularly effective in proving to the world the coolness of games. Why, every time he speaks out about games, they get 20% more popular. Brilliant man, Jack Thompson. I'm so glad that he came along to help us out.

(Seriously though, we need people like him to avocating their opinions like that. When people talk like that, regular Joes realize that the opposing side makes more sense. It's cruel, but they're more helpful where they are. We don't need to get defensive because they harm their own first.)

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I'm all for seeing games as art, but I feel no special need to hoist my views on others. Ebert has no special power over me and I couldn't care less what his views are over my interests. To me, the worst thing we can do and clamor for the approval of someone who has made it clear they are unwilling to try new things out. It will never happen. So I admire the spirit this article is written in, but I believe the direction to be poorly thought out.

It is our job to determine what is and what isn't valid criticism of games and to improve games accordingly, however, this doesn't demand any special attention to those who clearly refuse to learn anything new. I just don't see the connection between taking and understanding criticism and anything related to Roger Ebert. If you could establish that Roger Ebert first has something worth saying, worth being heard, then you might convince me. Until then, this sounds like a plea to pander to flat-earthers.