The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer is Packed with Villains

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer is Packed with Villains

<youtube=nbp3Ra3Yp74>​
The worldwide trailer for the next Spider-Man movie debuted today.

Are your spidey senses tingling? Today Sony Pictures released a worldwide trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. This time it looks like we'll get to see Peter Parker's parents and a whole lot of villains.

Andrew Garfield reprises his role as Peter Parker, and Emma Stone will also reprise her role as Gwen Stacy. The trailer opens with Peter reflecting on how every time he saves someone, he makes another enemy. Of course, this means there are several villains in the sequel to the reboot. Jaime Foxx plays Max Dillion/Electro, and Paul Giamatti plays Aleksei Sytsevich/The Rhino. Dane DeHaan will act as Harry Osborn, Peter's old friend. The trailer shows glimpses of the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus's arms, and Vulture Wings, plus we get to see Norman Osborn.

Peter will discover what OsCorp was using his father's research for. OsCorp is keeping him under surveillance, and Peter discovers a video with a message from his father. Later on in the trailer, we see Foxx's Electro attacking Spider-Man, saying, "Soon everyone in this city will know how it feels to live in a world without power, without mercy, without Spider-Man."

With so much going on in the trailer, hopefully the movie will be able to make sense out of it without carrying too many plots at once in an approximately two-hour span. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will come to theaters on May 2, 2014.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbp3Ra3Yp74#t=13]

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
All I have to say is, really you went with Paul Giamatti as The Rhino? Nothing against Giamatti as I actually like his work, I'm just having a hard time seeing him as the Rhino, even if it is more of a mech suit from the few shots of it in the trailer.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The CGI looks pretty inconsistent in this trailer. Anyone else noticing that?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, bullet time is back? I thought Hollywood was all about the BWAAS now.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Are they doing the Sinister Six? Already? Cramming too many villains in. Not liking it.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Mister Six said:
All I have to say is, really you went with Paul Giamatti as The Rhino? Nothing against Giamatti as I actually like his work, I'm just having a hard time seeing him as the Rhino, even if it is more of a mech suit from the few shots of it in the trailer.
Personally, I thought Jamie Foxx as Electro was the worst thing to get out of this one. His acting is subpar at best. That part at the end of this trailer "Soon, everyone in the city will know how it feels -blabla-", it's so unconvincing and weak, kinda like just reading lines. It might as well be his character Curtis from the movie Dreamgirls.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Wow this looks like a clusterfuck. They're just throwing in villains left and right. Wasn't that one of the reasons why Spider-Man 3 was fairly awful?

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Spaceman Spiff said:
Wow this looks like a clusterfuck. They're just throwing in villains left and right. Wasn't that one of the reasons why Spider-Man 3 was fairly awful?
One of the reasons, yes.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Spaceman Spiff said:
One of them, yes. Also, it was a slapdash job because the studio kept demanding rewrites well into halfway through the production time.

Casual Shinji said:
Wait, bullet time is back? I thought Hollywood was all about the BWAAS now.
There was a BWAA in there. It's one of the first sounds you hear.

Overall, I'd say nothing about this trailer sells me on it being worth my time and money.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Well, the first film was poor, it's not like the sequel was going to be any better.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
One of them, yes. Also, it was a slapdash job because the studio kept demanding rewrites well into halfway through the production time.
If they put in a terrible amnesia subplot (is there any other kind) it'll have Spider-Man 3 beat.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
trty00 said:
Vyress said:
Mister Six said:
Personally, I thought Jamie Foxx as Electro was the worst thing to get out of this one. His acting is subpar at best. That part at the end of this trailer "Soon, everyone in the city will know how it feels -blabla-", it's so unconvincing and weak, kinda like just reading lines. It might as well be his character Curtis from the movie Dreamgirls.
I hope when you're saying Jamie Foxx's acting is subpar you're just referring to this film. I mean, have you seen Ray? He's incredible in that film.
Jamie Foxx can play piano, he is black and most importantly he has the ability to wear sunglasses. Sounds impressive? Being able to make a good impression doesn't make him a good actor. He sucked in Django too. The good acting in Django was done by Waltz and DiCaprio - and probably Sam Jackson cause he really did an amazing job playing that despicable character. I mean if you like Jamie's acting with him always talking in that monotone voice as he always does then more power to you as you will see him as Electro.
Yay.
I just can't excited over it cause I think he sucks. Then again, it's not like Electro is a developed character to begin with so the role doesn't really need anyone, uhm... good.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Man of Steel has competition for most characters in a summer superhero block buster. Let the games begin!

OT - I loath that the first one exists. Chances are good my opinion wont be changing for the better after this comes out.

I did like seeing Doc Oc's arms/ Vulture's Wings though. That was a pretty cool Easter Egg... you know... that should have been saved for the film... not the trailer...

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
haha oh god, it looks even worse than the first one... i don't think i'm even going to see this, i just want to forget it exists. it's a shame, i enjoyed the first two spiderman films, and even bits of 3 (namely, sandman and a little of james franco's goblin) but these are just awful.

also, i've got to say it, harry's hair?! what the actual fuck...

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Fappy said:
The CGI looks pretty inconsistent in this trailer. Anyone else noticing that?
I have noticed that. Although I will admit that they at least seem to be trying to go for a more comic-colored environment and feel. I still think having so many villains in one movie is going to make this an unfocused trainwreck with little in the way of character developme-h who the hell am I kidding, all people want to see is Spider-Man punch the bad guys...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This, and Days of Future Past, seem to be taking the lessons of Avengers the wrong way (people like characters? Throw in MORE characters! All the characters! Heroes! Villains! ONE of them has to make fans happy!), yet the runtime of a movie will mean that almost none of them will get even 5% of the character development that, say, Doc Ock had or Loki has.

I find it interesting that, post-Avengers, Marvel didn't go "bigger". It actually went "smaller", with Thor's movie retreating to his key character arc with friends and family. Iron Man 3 focused on Tony's personal flaws and immediate friends (... and the President at the end, for some reason). Even "The Wolverine", by Fox, was MUCH better by literally stripping out almost every unnecessary character and mutant and making it a character-driven film that was smaller and more intimate as a result.

This looks... like overkill. Like Spider-man 3, too much is going on and SOMETHING has to be compromised to get it out the door. You can't split your focus up so many different directions and keep the core of it running strong.