Operation Flashpoint's Deaths "As Unpleasant As Possible"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Operation Flashpoint's Deaths "As Unpleasant As Possible"

Codemasters wants to inject a bit of realism into the upcoming Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, and they're doing so by making the deaths in the game as gruesome and unpleasant as they possibly can.

You know, when you think about it, most FPS games are fairly sterile experiences. Pop a bad guy in the head, he goes down. Shoot him enough times somewhere else, and he'll crumple, dead as the proverbial doornail. In fact, once you see them fall, there's no reason to ever pay an enemy a second glance.

Not so in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, the game's Executive Producer Sion Lenton told RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/12/rps-interview-operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising/]. His team was endeavoring to add an element of realism to the title, said Lenton, in several ways that included how people in the game die.

[blockquote]A head shot will be a kill. But it's more complex than that: you can shoot through a guy's leg or chest, and he won't die instantly, even if he goes down. You might reach his position and see him bleeding to death. It's going to be horrible to see. We didn't want to make death too light or too easy. The same damage system is true for you, which makes things more challenging. We want to make death as unpleasant as possible, and to make players more careful. You're not going to run through an open field with your guns blazing. The game will teach you not to do that.[/blockquote]

Dragon Rising will also ditch the regenerating health concept that most modern shooters seem to have: "You don't get to squat behind a rock to be healed, instead you're in danger of bleeding to death. You've got eight pints of blood, and when those bleed out, you're gone. Even when you patch up, it's not all fine. If you've been hit you'll still have a limp. We've made the death as harrowing as possible."

Sounds... pretty unpleasant, yeah. I suppose if you want to make people feel like they're in a war documentary and close to the real thing, this layer of realism makes sense. So, Halo run-and-gunners, take note: Teabagging in Operation Flashpoint will get you killed.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/12/operation-flashpoint-deaths-will-be-as-unpleasant-as-possible/])

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Well, I can still have hope that this game will be as realistic as ARMA 2.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
If they really want a sense of realism, why do they have "Dragon" in the title? Then again, Tom Clancy is fond of Rainbows, it seems.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
I simply cannot wait for this game. Hopefully it stacks up to the quality of ARMA 2, without all the bugs of course.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I hope to get my CoD 4 friends to play this, just to see how long they last without their martyrdom and how long it takes for a wounded man with a pistol to cap them.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well, at least they have a bleed out system on this, I've been talking about seeing more of that in games for a while. And at least it will stop my friend from moaning as well.

What are you playing? It doesn't look very realistic.

That's because I'm not playing a fecking interactive documentary Ben! Jesus...

rs2000

Apr 16, 2009
If there teabagging you shoot them in the groin, their's a nice artery there ;)

Zani

May 14, 2008
SniperWolf427 said:
I simply cannot wait for this game. Hopefully it stacks up to the quality of ARMA 2, without all the bugs of course.
I really hope it's nothing like ARMA 2, that game had so many issues.

But I'm really looking forward to this game aswell.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
They should take it to the next level and have "electric shock" controllers that give your hand a zap when you get hit.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I don't like either the original Operation Flashpoint or ArmA. So I very much doubt I'll like this game. At one point, you've just reached the boundary of realism where conventional mouse and keyboard controls will allow you to go.

Buschmaki

Apr 16, 2009
BonsaiK said:
They should take it to the next level and have "electric shock" controllers that give your hand a zap when you get hit.
Some company actually developed a vest for a few pc games where if you get the the vest pretty much hits you where you get shot sounds to painful for me to try out. Also that is awesome!!! i wonder if someone will make a war documentary machinima and the war is about cookies.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Let's just hope the realism doesn't get in the way of the gameplay like it does 90% of the time.

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
this kind of ruins the multiplayer, if youre shot once you start to bleed out and you have to stop killing and start healing, but improves the single player experience, which will have a hard time beating the epic awesomeness of codmw1&2 so whats to make me buy this game if i can get basially the same experience

plus no deaths were as bad as the ones in too human

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dragon Rising will also ditch the regenerating health concept that most modern shooters seem to have....
THANK YOU! OH GOD THE CYCLE HAS BEEN BROKEN!