Oh, Japan: Boobs Used As Marketing For Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Oh, Japan: Boobs Used As Marketing For Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

It's no secret that Tecmo's Team Ninja is a fan of *ahem* the female form - in particular the breasts - but this Japanese viral advertisement is just a bit ... strange.

One look at any of girls in the modern Ninja Gaiden games or the Dead or Alive series will tell you all you need to know: Tomonobu Itagaki really likes boobs, and the games created by his Team Ninja reflect that. I still remember learning that DoA2 literally had an option to determine how "jubbly" the in-game jubblies would be.

Itagaki may have since left Team Ninja and Tecmo, but that philosophy lives on. An only-in-Japan viral ad campaign for the upcoming Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, uses ... well, a pair of tits. Not in the usual way, either - they aren't just showing off the game's big-busted ninja ladies in a "sex sells" campaign. No, this is literally just a pair of fake knockers mounted on a wall by the side of a road.

You can make out a pair of hands, too - obviously, there is a female ninja (or kunoichi) hiding in plain sight by holding up a sheet to blend in with the wall... or something. So those are supposed to be her ta-tas, and passers-by are invited to... feel them up?

I don't even know anymore. The only indication whatsoever that this has anything to do with a videogame - let alone Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 in particular - is the game's logo at the bottom right corner of the panel. Otherwise, this is just a ... pair of breasts, on a wall, there for people to grope.

Let's file this one under the "Oh, Japan" folder for now.

(Via Lazygamer [http://www.lazygamer.co.za/ps3/only-in-japan-breast-fondling-as-marketing])

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
... Um...

... Yeah, I can't really say anything about this but "Um..." and this subsequent sentence explaining it.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
"Oh, Japan, your cute when you try to sell sex." was what I was going to say but "Your creepy, stay away from my children" sounds better.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
There was something about this on my 'lil forums, not much discussion came out of it but an epic quote:
"Shawzie: Then by the power of the gods, I'd totally hit that"

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
What's worse? The fact that they did this, of the fact that I am not surprised at all?
Trust me, it's definitely the former. Prolonged exposure to Japan's craziness makes you jaded to these sort of things.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
This really doesn't help a lot, does it? Unless they start advertising on TV and people connect Ayane's with the ones on the wall (highly doubtful.....). I bet they don't even see the hands in the corners.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
What's worse? The fact that they did this, of the fact that I am not surprised at all?
I'm not surprised at all. They can get away with stuff like this, but if they did that here in America. Oh man, the petitions and marches. They'd make "Mothers Against Breasts" groups, etc. Oh man, the hardcore feminist would have a field day.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
I love how all the Japanese guys just walk up to it, grope it, take pictures, even though it's obviously a fake pair of breasts. We should have stuff like this in the USA. More laughter for us all.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
*Shrugs* I found it fairly artsy myself to be honest. I think in addition to the game it makes a few statements both about the game, and to an extent a bit of friendly self parody of it's fans.

That said I find nothing wrong with sex in marketing, and you'd be extremely surprised at how much the same stuff appeals to women as ironic as it might seem.

One of the more ironic moments in my life was when I realized I had met more girls who played Dead Or Alive with any kind of seriousness, than other franchises like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
Oh Japan, never change. It's wierd, but not downright creepy. It would be downright creepy if an entire woman's body was on that "sign" and not just the boobs.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Boobs are used as marketing for alot of things. Though never so...physically. I also probably would have been tempted to touch, just to see what they were made of.