Canadian Hopes to Resurrect Dinosaurs With Chicken DNA

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Canadian Hopes to Resurrect Dinosaurs With Chicken DNA

Canadian scientist Hans Larsson believes he can revive dinosaurs by reverse engineering the genetic code of their closest living relative, the lowly chicken.

The plan, which PhysOrg.com likens [http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html] to simply "flipping certain genetic levers during a chicken embryo's development," came from Larsson's discussions with famed American archaeologist Jack Horner -- who, ironically, worked as a consultant on the Jurassic Park films.

Larsson's immediate plans do not involve creating a breeding program for full-sized Tyrannosaurs -- he currently has ethical and practical objections to the idea -- but he does believe his theoretical ability to reproduce "dinosaur anatomy" from chicken embryos is "a demonstration of evolution."

"If I can demonstrate clearly that the potential for dinosaur anatomical development exists in birds, then it again proves that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs," Larsson says.

Sounds like a win-win to me: The scientific community gets some fascinating data, and we get itty bitty chicken-sized dinos. Who will probably spit poisonous venom at us and eat our faces off, true, but they'll be so cute!

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Ergh. I don't want to see the first results of this man "flipping genetic levers". Or any of the poor, freaky looking bastardised dino-chickens.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
These are going to be some fucked up chickens...

Actually I really hope this works. It would be pretty badass to have a pet dinosaur, even if it is just a reverse chicken or whatever.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I am currently re-reading Jurassic Park (much better than the movie, btw) and so, of course, I am having serious concerns about how the dinosaurs might react to humans (i.e. eating their faces off).
But that would still be awesome.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
One more reason why Canada is fucking awesome. Although won't they die because of tempertures. Also will we be eating them? :D

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I can forsee no possible problem arising from this cautious, well-thought-out plan.

Heh-heh-heh...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *clap of thunder*

-- Steve

PS: I wonder what the eggs would taste like? "Black coffee, bacon, wheat toast, two velociraptid eggs over-easy..."

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
poncho14 said:
One more reason why Canada is fucking awesome. Although won't they die because of tempertures. Also will we be eating them? :D
TEH DINOS AREN'T LIZARDS THEY ARE TEH BIRD$!!1!

They may have also been warm blooded so probably not.

And Jurassic Park Canada wouldn't be as cool as Jurassic Park from the movie. It just wouldn't have the same prehistoric atmosphere, you know, the jungle style thing. Ice Age Park Canada cooler!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
...itty bitty chicken-sized dinosaurs...who [can] spit poisonous venom and eat our faces off...
Sweet! Science is only a few steps away from creating actual live pokemon!
Oh.

My.

God.

Where can I sign up to support this dashing hero of a man?!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Somehow I highly doubt this'll actually work, and yeah I don't want to see his first attempts at this.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
He should try to breed a T-Rex. There's 'totally' no possible negative repercussions in doing so.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Dammit, Canada! You're giving Osama Binladen more ideas!!!
Good luck to the Marines on fighting terrorists when they're VELOCIRAPTORS!

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
He's breeding...Raptors?
Did he completely miss the documentary "Jurassic Park"?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I honestly can't make up my mind if it's a good idea or a bad one. One one hand, we have Jurasic Park happening, on the other we have the potential for Velociraptor Cavalry [http://media.photobucket.com/image/warhammer%20cold%20one/Osaliske/Fantasy/ColdOneKnightsflank.jpg].