That Dragon, Grey

Jan 12, 2012
I think if the guy is willing to make a game about the death of his child, there's space for a joke. Unless there is no original joke and this comic is a metajoke.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think if the guy is willing to make a game about the death of his child, there's space for a joke. Unless there is no original joke and this comic is a metajoke.
Grey said "Fun fact: I actually wrote three jokes on the subject, but none of them were really good enough to warrant how edgy the strip would be." on twitter.

So feels like they went with the meta joke since it was the best they had.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
There you go, Cory. The trick is to kill Grey as opposed to jumping out of a window and killing yourself.

Just remember: you're not the problem. :3

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
This comic confirms that Grey is cancer. So Grey is to blame for our recent high-profile losses (viz., Lemmy, David Bowie and Alan Rickman).

However, Cory has now killed Greycancer - so 2016 should start to look up, right?

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
So, can't make a joke about cancer, but making a joke about cold-blooded murder is legit?

Way to double standard! ;)

THM

Sep 27, 2014
To be honest, this strip just reminded me of that quote from GoT:

'When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.'

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
sageoftruth said:
Once again, I seem to be out of the loop. What's this referring to?
A couple who lost their son to cancer made a game about how it affected them, and what they went through.

Gamers decided to prove every negative stereotype about Gamers true in protest at the game existing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
"Cancer, I hardly know her..."

Yeah, I'm guessing there wouldn't have been a good joke to throw in there.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
sageoftruth said:
There is a recent indie game called That Dragon, Cancer. It's an art game about a toddler with cancer, and it's inspired from the life and death of the co-creator's child. Suffice to say, those who find the game touching, have found dirty jokes about the game way more distasteful than usual.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Wait, that's meant to be Cory?

Pretty funny how he's becoming more and more 'stereotypically attractive' in each new comic he appears in.
Just a coincidence though, I'm sure...

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Windknight said:
sageoftruth said:
A couple who lost their son to cancer made a game about how it affected them, and what they went through.

Gamers decided to prove every negative stereotype about Gamers true in protest at the game existing.
Do you mean actual protest, or just complaints about the game's quality?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
sageoftruth said:
Do you mean actual protest, or just complaints about the game's quality?
It was very much 'this kind of game shouldn't exist'.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Windknight said:
sageoftruth said:

What's this got to do with the gamer community?

As far as I know, these were edgy kids and trolls: I don't see what stereotypes this reflects, unless they were fervent in protesting against a walking simulator, but I sincerely doubt that.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
If you sell a 2 hour, serious game $15 it has room for jokes. If you actually wanted to send a message you wouldn't be trying to charge that much for it. I do not approve of making a profit off of stuff like this. I had the same issue with The Beginner's Guide. What he did was essentially sell somebody else's work and extreme pain to tell a message.

I'm all for games like these existing - in fact I love these kinds of games. I just don't think you should be charging so much for them, especially when they are more often than not on-rails or visual novels. It gives me the impression you are trying to make a profit from the horrible turn of events instead of trying to share your story.