That Dragon, Grey

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
EndlessSporadic said:
If you sell a 2 hour, serious game $15 it has room for jokes. If you actually wanted to send a message you wouldn't be trying to charge that much for it. I do not approve of making a profit off of stuff like this. I had the same issue with The Beginner's Guide. What he did was essentially sell somebody else's work and extreme pain to tell a message.

I'm all for games like these existing - in fact I love these kinds of games. I just don't think you should be charging so much for them, especially when they are more often than not on-rails or visual novels. It gives me the impression you are trying to make a profit from the horrible turn of events instead of trying to share your story.
There's nothing wrong with making a profit from sharing your story. Also The Beginner's Guide is fictional.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
RJ 17 said:
There you go, Cory. The trick is to kill Grey as opposed to jumping out of a window and killing yourself.

Just remember: you're not the problem. :3
I've found that to kill Grey is the trick for just about any creative disagreement. =D

EndlessSporadic said:
If you sell a 2 hour, serious game $15 it has room for jokes. If you actually wanted to send a message you wouldn't be trying to charge that much for it. I do not approve of making a profit off of stuff like this. I had the same issue with The Beginner's Guide. What he did was essentially sell somebody else's work and extreme pain to tell a message.
But... Beginner's Guide wasn't real....

cthulhuspawn82 said:
EDIT: I had placed a,in my opinion, rather mild joke here. But since I continue to underestimate how thin skinned people here are (including mods), I want to be safe and remove it.
In my experience, if an edgy, off-color joke is told with even a hint of self-awareness, people are generally okay with it. I can't recall ever being yelled at for an offensive joke... and I tell plenty.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Lightknight said:
"Cancer, I hardly know her..."

Yeah, I'm guessing there wouldn't have been a good joke to throw in there.
Can Sir LightKnight know there wouldn't have been a good joke to throw in there?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
That shirt that Grey is wearing is fantastic. Nobody tell me if it's actually real or not. I want to beliiieeeeve.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Areloch said:
So, can't make a joke about cancer, but making a joke about cold-blooded murder is legit?

Way to double standard! ;)
Most murders are singular events, one and done. Cancer kills over half a million every year. Hence, murder is easier to joke about.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Remus said:
Areloch said:
So, can't make a joke about cancer, but making a joke about cold-blooded murder is legit?

Way to double standard! ;)
Most murders are singular events, one and done. Cancer kills over half a million every year. Hence, murder is easier to joke about.
Well, technically cancer only kills one person at a time.
Just saying - and obviously I was joking with my original comment - that lots of subjects are arbitrarily deigned as taboo to joke about, while other ones that are equally bad or horrific are fine. Just an amusing double standard when it comes to the average sensibilities.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
EndlessSporadic said:

I would only believe you if The Beginner's Guide was the first game, nay, story you ever encountered.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
So the real question is, is the comic about how nobody should make jokes about a topic as sensitive as cancer, or is it about how sensitive people are to jokes about it?

Meta...

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Windknight said:
sageoftruth said:
Once again, I seem to be out of the loop. What's this referring to?
Gamers decided to prove every negative stereotype about Gamers true in protest at the game existing.
ALL of them? Every single one?

Wow, these people are horrible and worse than Hitler.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hoplon said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think if the guy is willing to make a game about the death of his child, there's space for a joke. Unless there is no original joke and this comic is a metajoke.
Grey said "Fun fact: I actually wrote three jokes on the subject, but none of them were really good enough to warrant how edgy the strip would be." on twitter.

So feels like they went with the meta joke since it was the best they had.
I really shouldn't have to read something extra to get a joke in a comic strip.
Teoes said:
This comic confirms that Grey is cancer. So Grey is to blame for our recent high-profile losses (viz., Lemmy, David Bowie and Alan Rickman).

However, Cory has now killed Greycancer - so 2016 should start to look up, right?
My God, it all makes sen-[HEADSPLODE!!!]

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Czann said:
Windknight said:
sageoftruth said:
Once again, I seem to be out of the loop. What's this referring to?
Gamers decided to prove every negative stereotype about Gamers true in protest at the game existing.
ALL of them? Every single one?

Wow, these people are horrible and worse than Hitler.
Considering they didn't say "all", then "not all", obviously. But yeah, the referenced gamers are going for the asshole high score.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Here is the truth about the game.

It is short, not much of a experience, and the only real complaints have been that it gets abit too preachy and religious based near the end.

Now while it might sound bad to bash a game about a child who died of cancer, I must say that it seems somewhat of a cash-grab by the developer. It was made basically KNOWING that people wouldn't dare talk shit about it (due to the touchy subject of cancer and death), and then pricing it at about $20.

So basically I would tell people NOT to buy this unless it was on sale. BECAUSE if the developer had either made a long/detailed product to justify the cost, or decided to donate money from Steam sales (the biggest seller of the game) THEN I would say that the price was justifiable for such a product. Especially when it's obviously playing off of sympathy or 'Feels' from the community for it's sales.

So overall I must say that while the story and content is a kidney shot to your emotions, and deserves to be told. That doesn't mean you should support a developer who made a half-assed product that's cashing in on someone else's tragedy.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
SteewpidZombie said:
Here is the truth about the game.

It is short, not much of a experience, and the only real complaints have been that it gets abit too preachy and religious based near the end.

Now while it might sound bad to bash a game about a child who died of cancer, I must say that it seems somewhat of a cash-grab by the developer. It was made basically KNOWING that people wouldn't dare talk shit about it (due to the touchy subject of cancer and death), and then pricing it at about $20.

So basically I would tell people NOT to buy this unless it was on sale. BECAUSE if the developer had either made a long/detailed product to justify the cost, or decided to donate money from Steam sales (the biggest seller of the game) THEN I would say that the price was justifiable for such a product. Especially when it's obviously playing off of sympathy or 'Feels' from the community for it's sales.

So overall I must say that while the story and content is a kidney shot to your emotions, and deserves to be told. That doesn't mean you should support a developer who made a half-assed product that's cashing in on someone else's tragedy.
From the developer's webpage:

"A JOURNEY OF HOPE IN THE SHADOW OF DEATH

An immersive narrative videogame that retells Joel Green?s 4-year fight against cancer through about two hours of poetic, imaginative gameplay that explores faith, hope and love."

It's advertised as being two hours and says that it will explore faith, so I don't see why anyone is surprised at the length of the game or that it gets religious in there.

And considering the parents of the child were fully involved in writing and creating the game (Ryan Green, the father, is the game developer and did some of the cg art for the game), I don't see how you can accuse them of cashing in on their own tragedy.

And don't be hyperbolic. The game sells for $15. If you paid $20, you were ripped off.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Even Deadpool probably wouldn't have thought about taking the sharp bit of the dialogue bubble and stabbing someone with it.
I was pretty impressed to see that, but all the more curious as to what this dragon / cancer joke was all about lol.
To be fair, Deadpool never really does anything intresting with its premise.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I loved how Cory expresses no emotion whatsoever, as if spending years working with Grey has left him completely dead inside.