Sony Remastering God of War I and II for PS3

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Remastering God of War I and II for PS3

The first two God of War games are coming to the PS3 on a single Blu-Ray disc this holiday, and Sony's dolling them up for their next-gen debut with remastered graphics and trophy support.

Let's not jump to conclusions yet: God of War III looks pretty good, but it's not a sure thing until it actually comes out. What is a sure thing, however, is that the first two games in the series are pretty damn spiffy - unless you're one of those weirdos who hates God of War, that is. So while we're waiting to see how God of War III turns out, there's always God of War I and II.

No need to dust off the PS2, however. Sony is re-releasing the two games on the PS3, putting them on a single Blu-Ray and adding some special touches to bring them into this crazy modern HD world in which we live. Coming "this holiday season" for $39.99, the God of War Collection features both games, which, running at 720p, are now playable at 1280 x 720 resolution and feature new anti-aliased graphics that run at 60 frames per second.

In addition to all the visual polish, there's also some minor stuff new on the gameplay front. The compilation will support PSN and trophies, which should provide PS3 owners with some incentive to play these games over again aside from the fact that Kratos' pearly white skin looks even paler in HD.

"Our fans spoke and we listened; thanks to our partnership with Bluepoint Games, fans and newcomers to the series can experience the epic God of War and God of War II saga in stunning 720p on PS3," Scott Rodhe of Sony Worlwide Studios America said. "This Blu-ray Disc compilation brings Kratos to PS3 even earlier than expected."

God of War III drops in March. The God of War Collection will be out for the holidays, the perfect stocking stuffer for those loved ones who crave the rush of ripping cyclopses' eyes out of their sockets and stabbing Greek gods in the chest over and over again.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Though they pretty much had to touch the game up in a sense...

tk1989

May 20, 2008
interesting... now to wait and see whether they actually polish it up at all or just re-release the game with upscaling support....

EDIT: And why is it in 720p? I thought Sony like frowned on it or something considering all their boasting about the PS3 being 1080p n stuff; they made it sound like anything else was immensely inferior

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
tk1989 said:
interesting... now to wait and see whether they actually polish it up at all or just re-release the game with upscaling support....
Well...they did say they were going to polish it up in the article...

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
ChromeAlchemist said:
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Though they pretty much had to touch the game up in a sense...
\

I've never played a God of War for longer than 5 minutes, so I think I'll grab this when it comes out and give it a run.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
tk1989 said:
Well...they did say they were going to polish it up in the article...
Aye, but "polishing" could just be a fancy word for "upscaling" with some "anti-aliased graphics", which is what the PS3 already does with previous generation games aren't i correct? (if you owned a PS3 with the ability to do so ofc). The point im making is what they have said is quite ambiguous; from what they have said we really have no idea whether this "polishing" up job is a 5 day process or a 5 month one, we really have no clue whether Sony are actually doing anything real to the game to update it or are just cashing in.

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
For christs sake I just bought these two games last week and now better versions are coming out? Unfair.

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
I like it. I've played through both of the God of War games before after borrowing them from a friend, but I've really hummed and hawed about picking them up for myself. I mean, I've already beaten them, so what's the point? But they are awesome games, and now that they're coming out for PS3, I really have no reason to not do it.

Just a thought, though: could this be the reason God of War III got pushed back? Y'know, besides the holiday rush? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I am gonna go with, trying to fill a pretty clear release schedule.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So this is why they cut PS2 compatability, so they can repackage old games to sell at full price.

Marvellous.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Not to sound ungrateful but when they asked if we wanted that, I was under the impression that it was something they might include in the collectors edition of GoW3, not a whole separate game. That said, both games for $40 is a fair deal, just not as good-a-deal as I thought we were going to get.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Nice, I'll pick these up not long after they come out; I never brought God Of War I/II, but I did play and complete them round a friends (He wasn't to pleased about that though).

To be honest I'd seen this coming, but I had expected them to release this with the God Of War III Special Addition (assuming there's one); it's nice of them to do this for the fans.

♥ for Sony.

Well, actually that depends what they charge for it, the Special Edition's probably going to cost something like £60 or £70, while this will probably cost £40 to £50, so in the end I guess you pay more... Mehh, it's to early to tell and I can't say until I see how much the Special Edition costs. Regardless they get points for releasing it before God Of War III.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Keane, you just made my day.

Since the only GoW experience I got was watching someone play through both games on the Internet, so I'd really like to pick this up!

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
nice, Now if the ico team does the same for ico and shadow of the colusous. I might even go buy me one of the PS3s I keep hearing anout.

Rimefrost

Mar 30, 2009
Wow, I'm glad I didn't get the games individually the other day. I'm definatly picking this up when it comes out.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
I wasn't really sure if God of War was up my alley ("WROAAAAR, POWERTHIRST!!!") but how do I say no? $40 for two games doesn't sound so bad, and I just got a pile of money from selling my iPod Touch. (I am very loyal to my little Shufflecake. It is all I need.) Hooray for Christmyulehanakwanzeidiwalisaturnasolstimukah gifts to myself! \o/