286: Videogame Myths Debunked

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Video games can and do promote violence in young people.

Last I checked, using a chainsaw to cut a creature in half or shooting up a base full of militants is violent.
I've been playing games since I was about 6 (and that means doing all the horrible things like drowning Sims, kicking chickens, ripping demon's hearts out, sniping people in the face, and just generally torturing digital human beings), and I've never so much as looked at someone funny in real life, let alone done anything that could be considered "violent". Even at 6 I was able to differentiate between fantasy and reality - showing simulated, fantasy violence for the sake of entertainment is not the same as "promoting" violence.

I suppose you think playing chess promotes violence too, since the objective is to eliminate the other player's pieces (which represent people)?

REDDJ2

Jan 1, 2011
Pirate Kitty said:

Last I checked, using a chainsaw to cut a creature in half or shooting up a base full of militants is violent.
I think a better way of saying it is that video games do promote violence inside the game

REDDJ2

Jan 1, 2011
theultimateend said:
Pirate Kitty said:

Straw Man...or Red Herring. I forgot which one it is where you knowingly misinterpret a point to sound smart.

Perhaps it is neither of those things. That would be kinda funny.

At any rate, it's blatantly obvious that the point is "Video Games of X Persuasion don't cause you to act in X Persuasion in real life."

Violent Games don't make you kill people.
Brain Games don't make you a genius.
Mario Games don't make you a drug addled Italian Plumber who fights turtles.

Edit: I see you make this same point later. So your original post just confuses me. You apparently aren't part of "that" crowd. Which is good, we need more sensible people floating around. (Though to be fair it's likely there are many, they just aren't talkative).

I don't know about that Mario example cause Ive seen Jersey Shore and the only thing missing is a turtle fight

Lisa Cerilli

Dec 16, 2010
This article is loaded with WIN.
1) I'm a female gamer
2) Farmville sucks, but I can see what is good about it, sadly
3) If game development is not an art form, neither is graphic design, web development, acting, and dancing.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
Myth: Videogames Make You Smarter
I'd have to argue with this point because two items are never established:
a.) Smarter than what?, and
b.) Do the "certain skills" more prevalent in video game players not constitute superior intelligence?

Myth: Game Testing Is An Awesome Job
True, it is not a "fun" job. But right now, it may be the most important job is the development of electronic entertainment right now; because I get the feeling that with the current development cycles and deadlines for modern games, not enough time is being allocated to see if some games actually work. Anyone else played Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas? Is anyone else sick and tired of the game freezing up at random intervals? Could this and other problems have been prevented by more play and bug testing? The same goes for many games riddled with horrible bugs.

Myth: Game Design Is An Auteur's Medium
At last count, it takes about 217 people to design, produce and market a killer game. (Miller Freeman)
Yeah, they're right... It takes up to 20 or so to do a game (depending on the time frame and the complexity of the programming, artwork, etc.), 10 or so to market, publish and sell it, and 187 to stand around, collect salaries and ***** about the stock dropping. Yes, that's correct. (Mark Shander)
'nuff said.

Myths: Girls Don't Play Games
... what are they playing. And how old are they? No, seriously, what are they playing?

Myth: Gaming Is Social
Not yet, or not anymore. Or did the author mean video games? That may make a bit more sense. Here's the thing: gaming is, was, and will be social. Always. Hide and seek? Cops and robbers? Require more than one player. Pen & paper RPGs? Good luck trying that one alone. Video games developers are looking to social games as the future of their medium. No, not that Farmville crap. Competitive or cooperative games available via social networks, possibly platform-independent. This is due to the fact that many games prior to video games were social experiences. MMORPGs came into existence because of this fact.

Myth: Games Have No Artistic Merit
"Games are art, just as gravity pulls you to Earth and water quenches your thirst. It's not even debateable."
SOME games are arts, others are entertainment, and the rest are crap. A few are both art and entertainment. But, as a rule, any game that does not entertain me is crap. Any game that makes me want to save a screenshot because the current image on the screen was "freaking cool" is art. The presence of the word "art" and the phrase "not debatable" is a paradox. Appreciators of all arts have contested and debated for centuries. Games are not different. But, again, not all games are art, i.e. have no artistic merit.

Myth: PC Gaming Is Dead
Other than World of Warcraft and other MMORPG clones, real-time strategy games, social network games, and the occasional FPS with incredibly steep system requirements developed somewhere in Europe... what else is there? PC gaming right now looks like a planet with five types of animal life and a few dozen trees on it; unless you took a microscope to it, you'd think think it was uninhabited.

Myth: Casual Gaming Is Killing "Real" Gaming
1.) They don't make AD&D Gold Box games anymore. Previously complex games and genres are becoming more and more simplified, and that trend has endured longer there has been a distinction between "casual" and "hardcore" games. Compare Daggerfall and Oblivion; as technology incresed, complexity decreased.
2.) Casual games are cheaper and reach a wider audience. Mention "cheaper" and "reach a wider audience" to someone in the entertainment industry, and they are all over that like white on rice. In the future, it will be difficult to prevent this migration.

Urialanis

Jun 14, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Urialanis said:
It's called constructive criticism. Insulting the writers and posting a completely pointless sentence is not.
Questioning/insulting/trolling someones opinion is not constructive criticism its thinking you know better than everyone else and thinking they should agree with you.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Myths: Girls Don't Play Games

Chalk this one up with "games cause violence". Yes, to gaming-savvy readers of The Escapist, it will hardly come as a shock to hear that 40 percent of gamers are women (42 percent in an online capacity), nor to hear that female gamers play 7.4 hours a week (almost equal to the 7.6 hours enjoyed by the boys).

Outside of game-literate circles, however, the notion that gaming is a purely testosterone-filled market is shockingly prevalent. Hence the existence of abysmal newspaper articles lamenting "gaming widows" printed in the UK's Telegraph regarding the 2009 release of Modern Warfare 2.
Sorry, I'm still not buying it.

There are three types of lies, lies, cursed lies and statistics. "40% of gamers are female", may be technically true, but reality looks different. Go into a GameStop and look at the customers, I'm willing to bet that much less than 40% of the people who buy games will be girls. Go on to XBLA or Steam or WoW, I'm not saying you won't find the odd girl, but it will not be 4 in 10. Hell, do a poll on this very site and you will get another result.

Maybe girls play as much games as guys, but it's not the same type of game, and it's not with the same general obsession enthusiasm. I'm not saying I don't want girls to play games, I'm not even saying we aren't moving in that direction, but video games are still seen and are still treated as "a guy thing".

Finnra

Returning video tapes
Nov 24, 2010
Video games that require you to execute fictional violence in order to progress promotes executing fictional violence in said game in order to progress.

Also in the news, five equals five.

More at 11.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
HankMan said:
Game testing is like prof-reading an essay? Hell I ALREADY play games like that! It would be great is someone actually did something about the problems I find in the games I play.
I know this was on the first page but I really wanted to put my 2 cents in.

In reality, you only get listened to about 50% of the time. I recently worked on a temporary contract for a large company (won't give a name due to the game not being released still yet) and almost all the bugs our team found were waived in the last month it was there. Some of these bugs were either obvious or quite annoying to the end user but they were on a tight deadline and so unless it caused a full on crash they would ignore it. This isn't really their fault to an extent because publishers like you to keep to deadlines if you want your money.

It is also a thankless job, a quarter of the people on the team (around 10 people from the day shift no idea about night shift) the developers "forgot to put in the credits" and then came back with "well it's too late now and we don't care anyway, you're just QA." Myself being included in this list, which was frustrating when we all tried to talk to a lead. The lead tried but sadly failed to get our point across to the developer.

Don't get me wrong, functionality testing made a huge difference to the amount of bugs in the product. But don't go into a job like that thinking you alone will change a game (your post gave me the feeling you possibly felt this way but if I am wrong I apologise.) It's also a team effort, so sometimes you won't have "a bug by your name" for days as you'll be helping others by re-testing their bugs to ensure you get a good idea on the frequency.

It's an interesting and fun job but it is also a job that doesn't get enough recognition publicly unless you're being blamed for bugs still inside the game. So many times have I seen posts online "their testers must have sucked look at all these bugs I found!" They will have most likely found the bug but the developer had no time to deal with it.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Ah, the phrase "promoting violence". This is such a flexible word. You could put a 6+ year old in front of Dora the Explorer show and chances are they may be "promoting" a learning experience, but they aren't exactly going to go outside and make an adventure of their own. As little as a handful at best would.

PC gaming dead?: Well Diablo 2, Maybe this "Titan", A LOT of indie games on steam, GoG has even more games and they sell like heck. Dragon Age was first made for PC. Hunted: Demon's Forge, well it's on consoles but the Mods for PC would keep them going.... This bring me to another point that REALLY helps keep PC gaming alive, MODS. Out of 10 PC gamers, 8 1/2 would have a moded game in one form or another. The MOD community helps keep PC gaming alive and well for years to come.

ProGrasTiNation

Jul 5, 2009
Violence in video games translating to real life is in the same boat as people using religion to kill.
Games are an Art form,just like movies,music,etc..Metal Gear Solid 4 is a piece of Art hands down.
Cloud Gaming,,ROFL..No sane person would buy in to this terrible future..
And as for games making you smarter..i dont think its possible,your either born with a good capacity to understand/process & store or your not,i dont believe knowledge alone makes you intelligent

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Did anyone else feel that the article was shoving information down their throats?
"NO. You WILL believe this. This is FACT. There is NO ALTERNATIVE."
I'm not saying I disagree with the article, I just don't like the way it was written. It's just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way. You know what I mean?

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
gkpama00 said:
I'd argue that you are attempting to debunk flawed arguments with more flawed arguments. A pencil and a canvas have a function, much like software and computers, yet the end result (by some indetermined metric that even artsy folks can't agree on) can be considered art.

To me, drawings, movies, games and books have a personal objective: to engage and entertain me. Does that mean all these things stop being art the second I interact with them since now they do have an objective, clearly defined purpose?

Your argument that art cannot have a purpose is also flawed. There are plenty of movies and books out there that were made to turn a profit but are still considered art by many. And who is to say code cannot exist for its own sake. It'd be just as useless as art that exists for its own sake, but it can exist.

Lastly, why is coding not considered artistic? I was not aware that art was defined by its medium. Code is more complicated, but allows for much more expression than a canvas and brush ever will.