289: My Nintendo Shame

Crazed_Puppeteer

Jan 15, 2011
Although I do find the argument of whether Nintendo has lost sight of its "hardcore" audience to be intriguing, I would like to take it one step further. I believe that Nintendo has lost its creativity when it comes to publishing and developing NEW games. Now I'm not talking about SMG or SMG 2 being "uninspiring". Nintendo has been successful at re-imagining their old franchises. With that said, they are still Mario games. They are sequels to a game that came out 25 years ago.

To me, a successful system doesn't make the most profit, but invites gamers to be inspired by new franchises so that they could call themselves a TRUE fan of the series. In turn, these gamers will want whatever game comes from them, then you get the profit. For example, the first Super Mario Bros. came out, and people loved it. Then Super Mario Bros. 2 comes out, then 3, then Kart, then 4, then Party, etc, etc, etc... Point is, gamers that were fond of the FIRST game will be fond of most of the other stuff with the same character on the front, because they associate good memories to that character. This is also why when a game with a character gamers recognize suck, the whole franchise takes a hit in credibility (i.e. 3-D Castlevania games).

For older gamers, I'm sure Escapist members have fond memories of finding out about the warp zones in the first Mario, finding the master sword in the first Zelda, or getting first place in the first Excitebike. The list of "first" memories could go on forever. For my generation (N64 and Gameboy), there's Pokemon. Yes it was developed by Game Freak, but the first time defeating Brock was a blast, and going around Kanto in black and white can still be wistfully remembered by some members of the Escapist community (including myself). Even the next generation after that has Pikmin, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, and Animal Crossing to remember fondly of.

So, what does the Wii generation have to remember Nintendo by? Well, I've checked the list of games Nintendo has developed and released for the Wii, meaning that they were involved in the whole process of this game. I've taken out all of the games that are sequels or were not released around the world UNDER Nintendo's name (for example, Zack and Wiki was released under Nintendo's name in Australia, but under Capcom's name everywhere else). The results I have found are shocking.

Original Wii Games

Wii Sports (2006) - I consider the rest of the Wii series (Play, Fit, Music, etc) to be sequels.

Endless Ocean (2008) - Sequel released in 2010

Disaster: Day of Crisis (2008) - Never released in USA. Not positive it's original, but found nothing to contradict it.

Captain Rainbow (2008) - Japan only

Xenoblade (TBA) - Used to be called Monado: Beginning of the World, so I'll let it slide...for now.

The Last Story (Jan. 27, 2011) - Looks good, but developers are OWNED by Nintendo...

...as a matter of fact, other than Wii Sports, all of the developers are OWNED by Nintendo (Arika, Monolith Soft, Mistwalker, ARTOON, skip LTD), but aren't actually Nintendo, so due to this technicality the only ORIGINAL game that has been DEVELOPED AND RELEASED by Nintendo during the SIX YEARS the Wii has been released is a game that came with the Wii in the first place. Everything else is a sequel or developed by someone else.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo#Wii

This is probably the source of everyone's frustrations. Yes, it is good to play Donkey Kong again, it's cute to see Kirby in yarn form, but for Nintendo to succeed it needs to give the current generation of young gamers something they could latch onto so that they could have their "first" memories of Nintendo. They've been more successful on the DS, but on the Wii they've done nothing but ride on "fan" money, supplying fans with games the they associate good things from, but never coming out with something new. There is nothing wrong with supplying fans, but there needs to be more than Miis available for the young consumer for them to stick with Nintendo. Otherwise, very dark days are ahead of this company.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
edthehyena said:
Only Nintendo themselves have made most of the good games, and publishers are afraid of the Wii (Super Meat Boy).
'Afraid of the Wii'? Super Meat Boy was too big for Nintendo's filesize limits, a lot of stuff would have had to be cut and Team Meat didn't want to put out a shallow version of their game.

edthehyena

Oct 26, 2009
Magnalian said:
According to the news article on this site, Team Meat looked into getting published on-disk for the Wii, and the publishers they spoke to advised against it because only Nintendo games do well on the Wii. I wasn't talking about the WiiWare store.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
edthehyena said:
Magnalian said:
According to the news article on this site, Team Meat looked into getting published on-disk for the Wii, and the publishers they spoke to advised against it because only Nintendo games do well on the Wii. I wasn't talking about the WiiWare store.
Oh, right. Forgot about that little tidbit, sorry! :p

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
PlasticTree said:
Meh. This isn't a bad article, but it would have been far more relevant two years ago. Now it doesn't say anything new, plus Nintendo had some truly great 'hardcore' games this year, even though they weren't too innovative.

Personally I'm quite satisfied with what they are doing. I don't care how good their casual games (or their competitor's casual games) are, as long as they release some truly great games once in a while. And no, 2010 wasn't Nintendo's most innovative year. But in the past few years they have come up with the ds, the Wii, some absolutely great and revolutionary games for both systems, and within a few months they'll come up with the 3ds and Kid Icarus, which is basically a new franchise.

I'm not saying that Nintendo is flawless or anything, but I don't think there's a reason to be ashamed when you're still cheering for a new Nintendogame.
Kid Icarus, a new franchise? I played Kid Icarus on the NES way back a long time ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Icarus

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Kid Icarus, a new franchise? I played Kid Icarus on the NES way back a long time ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Icarus
Note: I said 'basically'. I played the original Kid Icarus myself, but I have a hard time calling this new 3ds game part of a franchise, since the only other game in that 'franchise' is 20+ years old and, well, totally different. They are two games that use the same name and character, but all the benefits that come with 'playing it safe by releasing a sequel' don't apply here, since most potential customers didn't beat Medusa all those years ago.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I used to be a Nintendo fanboy through and through. I have more NES games than any other system. When I bought my Gamecube I had no intentions of getting an Xbox or PS2, however, looking at the differences in games being released on the platforms, I went out and bought a PS2. As for this console generation, I have lots of fun with my 360 and I just have to laugh at the titles coming out for the Wii compared to the 360 or PS3. Nintendo will always remain in my heart (NES) but as of late, I'm a Microsoft fanboy.

Eetinam

Mar 27, 2011
Everyone always trundles out the 'Nintendo's main game series have barely innovated.' But that's not a Nintendo-exclusive thing, they've just had the series everyone loves longest. How much innovation have Modern Warfare, Assassins Creed or Uncharted managed since they started? Halo's been going 10 years and you can hardly say that's innovated more than Zelda or Mario have in the same time.
It's the fault of fans not demanding more that Nintendo don't do more innovation with their core titles, and nobody else does either.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
Toriver said:
Snippy of epic post on first page of thread
Though I can't relate to the arguments regarding the Japanese market (as I'm not IN Japan), everything else in this post was enough to make me stop reading the thread in order to say thank you to @Toriver for elegantly making a very nice point.

Others have tried to do the same in this thread, but not so well.
You win sir, @Toriver . You win!

On a different note:
Stop feeling ashamed for the things you enjoy Briana (may I call you Briana?)
So your friends are playing Fallout and you're playing Kirby. What's wrong with playing both? Why is it shameful to love Nintendo's console and franchises, or anything for that matter?

I know, it looks like I'm sort of missing the point here by focusing on the choice of word, but feeling shameful (or "bad") for any kind of choice or taste is something I always considered people (should) grow out of. It might be the alcohol (probably not, all I have is light Czech beer -- the shame), but while typing this post, I sort of got a flashback of a blog post I read recently that really stuck to me (I'm going to go REALLY off-topic now) which was about the difference between being childish and childlike. In my mind, it fits here because I see Nintendo games as having a childlike charm to them that (obviously) the article's author enjoys, as well as many of the comment posters. On the other hand, I consider feeling ashamed of this fact is quite childish; like a 15 year old who's afraid that his cool schoolmates will make fun of him if they find out he likes Star Wars.

The only argument I will accept in such discussions is how some people can only afford one console and it's hard to abandon the popular AAA titles (especially when forums, news sites and the internet in general push them so hard down your throat you're addicted to shooting your friends in the head before the game is even released) for the less popular franchises you love. But honestly, I don't know many people who have only ONE console (PC included) and even if they did, shame is not something I would ever associate with such a choice, no matter which one it is.

I feel VERY lucky that I can run a dungeon in Skyward Sword and as soon as it finishes I can go play a bit of Battlefield 3 before going to bed.

EDIT: That's strange. Why was I reading a year-old article? I have no clue how I reached this but I thought it was new.

EDIT2: Also interesting: I just remembered that the blog post [http://susanarendt.com/2012/01/02/like-not-ish/] I mention was actually by Susan Arendt.

GaudyMarrko

May 20, 2009
I feel your pain man, I miss the golden years of the N64. Back then it wasn't even worth the time to own a play station 1 because every few months a new kick ass Rare title like donkey kong 64 or golden eye would hit the market and the 1st party titles were able to carry the console. It didn't even bother me that I had to miss out on crash, spyro and final fantasy. Now I'm ashamed of the fact that i went out to buy a 3DS just so i could relive ocarina of time, when the console hasn't made anything worth buying that wasn't a port.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I don't know man.
Maybe if this were still in the Wii generation I would kind of agree with her.
However it makes no sense to focus on the shovelware that isn't even made by Nintendo and claim that they are publishing it.
I would look forward to this gen though.
Seeing as how there are a lot of nice games coming out, and they have a couple new IP's that have made quite a nice niche for themselves on the e-shop.

Honestly though, the impatience of some of the people nowadays is astounding. Give a system at least 4 months to have more games come out.
Some people I've seen in the Facebook thread said they buy a Wii day one, and return it a month later. Like really?
That's hardly any time at all!
The PS3 didn't have that many games in a span of a month.
Nor did the Xbox 360.