$135,000 Blu-ray Player Is Expensive

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
$135,000 Blu-ray Player Is Expensive

If you thought Blu-ray players were expensive before, take a look at this one.

Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue [http://www.goldmund.com/], for $135,000.

The Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue should probably cost $135,000 just due to name alone, but backs up the cost with its construction too, I guess. From Goldmund's website, the product features:

Improved Mechanical Grounding construction with sturdier table support.
Built-in stabilized power supply using the Goldmund AC-Curator circuitry, totally separated from the mechanism by the top of the table support.
Goldmund "Magnetic Damping" technology, considerably improving the image stability and sound transparency.
External aluminum transport rigidifying structure for spurious vibration cancellation.
Heavily damped brass and aluminum heavy-duty mechanism enclosure (30kg) suspended on 4 spring loaded suspension pods.
Audio outputs:
* RCA Spdif coaxial digital.
* Toslink Optical Spdif digital.
* 2-channel analogue RCA unbalanced.
* 6-channel analogue RCA unbalanced.

Video outputs:
* 3 RCA analogue components output.
* S-Video analogue video output.
* HDMI 1.3 Video and Audio digital output.

Size: Height 75 cm (30"), Width 59 cm (23"), Depth 55 cm (21").
Weight: suspended: 30 kg, total including table: 82 kg.

Does the work put into the construction of this player actually warrant the price somehow? Or the audio and video output? I can't see even the richest of the rich actually feeling the need to purchase this product, though maybe I just don't get it. It definitely looks like a spaceship, so maybe it has a secret dual function.

If you'd like to purchase a Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue, you'd better book it to the nearest Goldmund retailer. It's a very limited edition product, as only 50 units will be made. Heck, it also plays DVDs and CDs if that makes it float your boat, and is multi-zone and multi-region.

So what doesn't it do? Connect to the internet or support BD-Live. Yup, this Blu-ray player is apparently stuck as a Profile 1.1 and cannot be updated. Both the $299 PlayStation 3 and other retail Blu-ray players have the capability to connect to the internet, so why doesn't Goldmund's "ultimate" version of one?

Via: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5357526/meet-the-135000-blu+ray-player-thats-missing-features-200-players-have]

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Snowalker said:
That one make one EPIC party machine.
If only it had built-in karaoke, it could become UBER.

I have to agree with Tom, I don't see how anyone could consider buying this. Even if you're in the position to buy this and still have several million leftover, why would you? I suppose the answer is 'because I can'.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I guess if i found 140 grand and was retarded I'd buy this

But that name is awesome

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Wow. The only reason I can see to buy that is to increase your chances of winning the annual "I am a Complete Wanker" contest.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Anybody else see the "no shit sherlock" in the title of this thread?

For some reason it looks like an object you'd see in a 90's superman film.

Not really a big fan i spose, But someone[/I] will buy it.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I was almost just going to reply to the title by saying

"Yes and long cat is long" but I will add further content

Could you actually tell the difference between this and any other blu-ray player?

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
It only does everything! No wait...it only plays blu-ray's? Well...what happened to " the best blu-ray player on the market" Sony?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
IdealistCommi said:
*Clicks enter key* Now there are only 49 in the world! [/sarcasim]

I don't see a point in buying this.
You actually already mentioned the point. Rich asshats who like having things barely anyone else does will buy these out in a jiffy.